Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replica/Model Guns laws

Options
  • 30-10-2010 7:08pm

Hi, i'm trying to do a web series and I would like to know what are currently the law for model weapons/replicas specifically guns like desert eagles and 9mm. And are the replicas allowed to have clips as one of the shots involve dropping a clip and putting a new one in.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

There are many laws surrounding firearm ownership even relating to replica/air soft/imitation firearm ownership, sales, manufacturing, etc. A read through CJ(MP)A 2009 S.40 (as amended 1990 9A) would be a good starting point.

All firearms require authorisation of varying levels from An Gardai. This can range from a cover note from the local FO/Superintendant to a full firearms license depending on the make, model, ability of the firearm. By ability i mean is it an air soft that fires 4mm plastic pellets or an Air Rifle that fires .22 cal pellets or a fullbore pitol that fires .40cal bullets.

I am no expert, but i believe your best option would be to visit the Airsoft Forum and ask the lads there. They would have far more knowledge of the ins and outs of realistic/imitation firearm ownership/sales, etc and could possible direct you to finding the exact item you are looking for.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

Hey.

I own and play with (infrequently unfortunately) 3 airsoft replicas.

Under irish law its perfectly legal to own one (or several :) ) as long as they fire a 6mm .20g BB equal too or under 328 feet per second as they exit the barrel.

If you are planning on filming in public i would seriously advise against it as if a member of the public phones the police and says theres people running around with weapons (or even if they say airsoft) then the cops will treat it as an actual fire arm offence as the public were disturbed with what seemed to be a fire arm at the time.

If your filming on private land with the owners permission then there is no problem.

Even though i personally disagree with "headshop" type stores they do carry alot of crap quality airsoft guns that sell cheap enough. If your not planning on using the guns for actual airsofting these would be your best bet as they are cheap. Better than spending E200+ on one rifle for a good quality one youll never use for skirmishing.

EDIT: And yes all the airsoft pistols have magazines that can be dropped like the real ones. Just be careful as they are not quiet as tough as real ones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

From the "Comissioners Guidelines" not sure if it applies in this instance

"THEATRICAL PERFORMANCES

Under section 2 of the Firearms Act, 1925, the possession, use or carriage of a firearm or ammunition by a person taking part in a theatrical performance or rehearsal or in the production of a film, requires an authorisation. This is granted by the local superintendent of the district where such performance is to take place."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

the possession, use or carriage of a firearm or ammunition

An airsoft gun is not classed as a firearm until it goes above the imposed 328fps with a 6mm .20g bb so your clear on the airsoft front....provided you dont import or buy something that breaks that ruling.

Youd probably need some sort of filming license to shoot in public too, I think.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Arcto wrote: »
    Youd probably need some sort of filming license to shoot in public too, I think.

You would indeed.

Its an offense under the section mentioned earlier to use, possess, display, etc an imitation firearm that is undiscernible to any member of the public from a real firearm, in a public place.

A simple sit/conversation with the local Firearms Officer or superintendant would clarify what is required and how to go about doing it.

EDIT - Bunny, the section you mention refers to a person having and using/possessing (not firing i presume) a firearm and that person having the relevant license attached to ownership of said firearm. In other words only the registered owner of the firearm can possess the firearm even for the purposes of using/displaying in a theatrical performance. Its not for "passing around".
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

I was interested in collecting some ww2 replicas and rang my supers office to suss out the requirements and he told me the following.
    replicas whether non working or airsoft under 1 jouile do not require authorisation or licence but deactivated guns do need written permission.
    However if you act the arse with any of these IE carrying them in public or using them as a threat showing them in public etc they would be treated as working firearms and you will get into serious trouble for that.
    its just comon sense really,but if you need them to do some filming in public then you better contact you local supers office for info.

Advertisement