Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Test driving a bike & insurance

• 30-10-2010 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm planning to look at a couple of bikes tomorrow, didn't have one for years and a couple of those I always wanted came up not too far away from here.

I checked my policies t&cs and it says it covers my car and any other 'motor car' that I do not own or hire. I guess that excludes motor bikes, right?

What is the procedure with test drives, can someone enlighten me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

there is a motorbike forum

lads selling will let you test drive if you can drive

shops seldom do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Tigger wrote: »
    there is a motorbike forum

My bad, thx. Can someone move the thread please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 lasthope

Boskowski wrote: »
    Hi,

I guess that excludes motor bikes, right?

Correct and right you car insurance WILL NOT cover you to ride a bike.

Do you have a full bike licences???

Don't expect anyone to let you ride there bike without the full asking price as deposit, and even then they might not let you ride it on public road as they will still be liable.

Before buying a bike check with the insurances company to see how much it will cost you they are not cheep

Good luck

lasthope wrote: »
    Do you have a full bike licences???

Yes
    Don't expect anyone to let you ride there bike without the full asking price as deposit, and even then they might not let you ride it on public road as they will still be liable.

A bit mad. You couldn't possibly buy a bike without test driving it.
    Before buying a bike check with the insurances company to see how much it will cost you they are not cheep

Thx

Yes

A bit mad. You couldn't possibly buy a bike without test driving it.

Thx

maybe but I wouldn't let you ride my bike without a deposit, what happens if you crash it? "thanks but no thanks" or worse you ride off into the sunset, and that is happening far too much now.

Well good luck tomorrow and i hope it stays dry for you:)

• Advertisement

maybe but I wouldn't let you ride my bike without a deposit, what happens if you crash it? "thanks but no thanks" or worse you ride off into the sunset, and that is happening far too much now.

Well good luck tomorrow and i hope it stays dry for you:)

Well but that's the same with a car right? I could just crash it. And as for driving into the sunset... What about my car sitting in his driveway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

Well but that's the same with a car right? I could just crash it. And as for driving into the sunset... What about my car sitting in his driveway?

I've bought (and sold) a few bikes over the last few years.

Test drives are very important, but with a private seller this will either be in a carpark, or if you leave the full asking price as a deposit. Insurance is also key -- to transfer your bike insurance to the vehicle.

The simple reason is if you drop it, you pay for it. It's not like a car where the seller could be in the passenger seat.

Also be sure to get a quote for insurance before you look at the bike, if you're not currently an active bike rider then you'll have no bike NCB and the premium can be extortionate.

The worst thing would be to find a bike you like and you can't get insured on it.

Thats true but at least you'll have 3ed party insurance for your car and its harder to let a car fall onto its side plus the owner will be sitting next to you, as for your car sitting in the driveway while you test ride, who's to say its not stolen or someone is waiting in it with the keys I've read of these horror stories happening in Ireland.
    I'm not saying don't take a test ride but be ready if the owner says NO, and again check what your insurance will be any bike over 15 years is classic and cheeper insurances.

Good luck with the bike hunting and let us know how you get on

Right I think I gonna buy the bike. He would have let me drive her around the block but it was an awful day for it and I wasn't going to drive home soaked. But she's lovely and I gonna drive her next weekend and unless something awful shows up which I doubt she'll be mine.
    Insurance is not bad at 240€ and tax (vintage) is 22€. I think I can live with that.
    Gotta be some advantages of not being 25 anymore. Was worried when someone said insurance can be extortionate but this ain't bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Right I think I gonna buy the bike. He would have let me drive her around the block but it was an awful day for it and I wasn't going to drive home soaked. But she's lovely and I gonna drive her next weekend and unless something awful shows up which I doubt she'll be mine.
    Insurance is not bad at 240€ and tax (vintage) is 22€. I think I can live with that.
    Gotta be some advantages of not being 25 anymore. Was worried when someone said insurance can be extortionate but this ain't bad.

Is it your first bike insurance you ever had?
    Did they take on the account your car NCB?
    How old are you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

If its vintage tax then he's got classic insurance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Thread moved from Motors.

CiniO wrote: »
    Is it your first bike insurance you ever had?
    Did they take on the account your car NCB?
    How old are you?

In this country yes.
    Didn't think of that, that's a no then.
    Late dirties

Advertisement