Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bonfires in Galway?

Options
  • 30-10-2010 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭

Where will i find a Halloween a bonfire tomorrow night? I want to bring my kids for just 20 minutes.

When I was a kid there were bonfires everywhere - Shantalla, Westside, Corrib Park, Highfield Park, Devon Park, The Prarie etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I think they are cracking down more and more on them. I don't know if they were always technically illegal, but they definitely are now. You will find one for sure somewhere in Westside, as we passed kids with TONS of wood, carrying it to hide it somewhere. Not sure how the fact that a lot of these fires have more of a 'rebel' element, and are not as endorsed by a lot of adults, will effect the energy and 'innocent fun', like a lot of fires in the old days.
    I think a community bonfire is a great idea, and rather than having a ton of illegal, tyre, mattress, and plastic burning messes, that wreck grass and land, a safer, larger more family friendly one would be way preferable.

There may be some on the beach too. Bridgets garden?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

As the above poster said I think they have cracked down on most bonfires around the city.

The traditional locations where you could find bonfires were the Sliding Rock in Shantalla, the swamp in Claddagh, the pitches in Mervue, and there was always one or two around Westside and Ballybane. Maybe a spin around these areas might find you one. Be warned that nowadays most bonfires are just a meeting place for young lads to go drinking.

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Be warned that nowadays most bonfires are just a meeting place for young lads to go drinking.

nowadays? It was like that when I was a lad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

nowadays? It was like that when I was a lad

That's true of course to a certain extent. It just seems like in the last few years there are less and less families and kids at larger bonfires, and way more drink and aggro. I don't care so much about the drink (although it makes for more accidents) but the energy just seems to be nastier.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

The bus shelter melter in Mervue?

Most kids hide the stuff and bring it out on the day. Do I'd imagine if you take a spin around in the car you'll spot one. There was one in Knocknacarra last year but the kids were going mental throwing rocks at cars.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

There was lots of heavy black smoke over westside about an hour ago,
    could be a bonfire or someone failed to renew their bin collection form.

Advertisement