Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreambox Questions

• 30-10-2010 7:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

Well, basically I'm sick of paying Sky sixty odd euro every month and was told that a Dreambox would be a good option.

I have done a few Google searches and had a look on forums but can't really find simple answers.

Anyway, could someone just explain what is needed and how it works, etc.
    ie, does it use internet or satellite or what, and what channels can it receive.

Any help is appreciated.

Sorry if this is in wrong forum, feel free to move it if needs be.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭garrycann78

i've seen those questions before on boards but unfortunately it cannot be discussed as some deem it as illegal even though other forums on boards discuss modding games consoles/software. by all means pm me with your questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭cormacl

..some deem it as illegal even though other forums on boards discuss modding games consoles/software

Dreamboxes and their related sale, ownership and use are not illegal. Use of them (or any receiver/setup for that matter) to illegally obtain pay TV services is illegal. So as long as the OPs intentions are to use FTA, then its fine. If he wants to obtain satellite services without paying for them, then he needs to realise its illegal to do so.

The bit that is disputed by myself and some others on this forum is the sale, purchase and use of clone dreamboxes (either badged as dreamboxes or otherwise). The fact that these boxes can run the exact same software is not technically the issue, more the fact that to do so, they have to copy proprietary software from Dream Multimedia. This disputed piece of software is called the boot loader.. not unlike the BIOS of a PC. Its not opensource and DMM assert copyright on it and any unauthorised use of it is hence illegal.

For that very reason, DMM actively use this proprietary software to wipe the boot loader ROM from non-genuine receivers, rendering them bricked. If that were not within their rights, they'd have been sued ages ago.

So my advice to the OP... don't steal pay TV services.. its illegal. If you do want to buy a Dreambox, buy a genuine receiver. It will work better, a lot better and if it breaks, warranty will replace it. A clone may not get you arrested.. but nevertheless it is a violation of someones copyright. If you want Enigma2-based receivers and not the higher cost of a dreambox, consider a VU+ or Qbox. The AZbox version of enigma2 may also be a valid contender in time. Right now its in its early alpha stages and not yet fully working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

We can't get into the illegal end of it here for obvious reasons but if you google about it, you'll get all the info you need.

If your a newbie to this game I suggest you get a spiderbox as a starter, all you'll need then is to hook it up to the net - Dreamboxes are for experienced sat enthusiasts ad take some getting use to.

Best of luck.:)

cormacl wrote: »
    Dreamboxes and their related sale, ownership and use are not illegal. Use of them (or any receiver/setup for that matter) to illegally obtain pay TV services is illegal. So as long as the OPs intentions are to use FTA, then its fine. If he wants to obtain satellite services without paying for them, then he needs to realise its illegal to do so.

The bit that is disputed by myself and some others on this forum is the sale, purchase and use of clone dreamboxes (either badged as dreamboxes or otherwise). The fact that these boxes can run the exact same software is not technically the issue, more the fact that to do so, they have to copy proprietary software from Dream Multimedia. This disputed piece of software is called the boot loader.. not unlike the BIOS of a PC. Its not opensource and DMM assert copyright on it and any unauthorised use of it is hence illegal.

For that very reason, DMM actively use this proprietary software to wipe the boot loader ROM from non-genuine receivers, rendering them bricked. If that were not within their rights, they'd have been sued ages ago.

So my advice to the OP... don't steal pay TV services.. its illegal. If you do want to buy a Dreambox, buy a genuine receiver. It will work better, a lot better and if it breaks, warranty will replace it. A clone may not get you arrested.. but nevertheless it is a violation of someones copyright. If you want Enigma2-based receivers and not the higher cost of a dreambox, consider a VU+ or Qbox. The AZbox version of enigma2 may also be a valid contender in time. Right now its in its early alpha stages and not yet fully working.

Hi m8, that 8000 - Is it as creamy as the price suggests?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭cormacl

Manc-Red wrote: »
    Hi m8, that 8000 - Is it as creamy as the price suggests?

Its an expensive receiver.. but does exactly what it says.. very reliable, very flexible.

I use it for FTA-only for UK, German and Irish DTT. With the Gemini image, it has full Freesat EPG which gives it very high WAF.

We also use it as a media server for our ripped DVDs and Home Movies. Saves lots of messing with DVDs etc for the kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Another box to consider is the Technomate TM-500. Its getting good reviews. Most of the dreamboxes on sale are clones and some of the have problems with the sound. The technomate run Linux which is what you need.

Pataman wrote: »
    Another box to consider is the Technomate TM-500. Its getting good reviews. Most of the dreamboxes on sale are clones and some of the have problems with the sound. The technomate run Linux which is what you need.

And Enigma 2 Pataman?

Manc-Red wrote: »
    And Enigma 2 Pataman?

the tm500 is enigma 1 based only as far as i know, pataman is right,its a great box but also the dm clones are fine for the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

Avoid clones like the plague. If you want a Dreambox get a legitimate one.

rlogue wrote: »

I've n 800 HD 6 months (clone) - No problems here.

• Advertisement

rlogue wrote: »

i've bought in 11 dm500s in 2 years.all still working away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭golfdiva

I use the clone 800 HD for nearly a year and its perfect. I went with the clone as its half the price and has a built in fan where as the genuine does not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭human 19

emmetmcl wrote: »
    Well, basically I'm sick of paying Sky sixty odd euro every month and was told that a Dreambox would be a good option.

I have done a few Google searches and had a look on forums but can't really find simple answers.

Anyway, could someone just explain what is needed and how it works, etc.
    ie, does it use internet or satellite or what, and what channels can it receive.

Any help is appreciated.

Sorry if this is in wrong forum, feel free to move it if needs be.

Can someone pleas point out to me where it is suggested in the above post that emmetmcl is looking to do something illegal????

where was a clone even mentioned , or illegal cards or software???

Unless there was a post deleted which I didnt see, it seems people are jumping to conclusions. Theres more to sky that British soccer.

emmetmcl, maybe you can clarify what you are looking for.
    basically it uses satellite, and the channels it received depend on what satellite(s) the dish is pointed at or whether it is motorised to point at different sats.

Alternatively, look here for more dreambox info:

http://www.dream-multimedia-tv.de/bo...Index&884d5753
    or
    http://www.i-have-a-dreambox.com/wbb...a02665441aa610

human 19 wrote: »
    Can someone pleas point out to me where it is suggested in the above post that emmetmcl is looking to do something illegal????

where was a clone even mentioned , or illegal cards or software???

Unless there was a post deleted which I didnt see, it seems people are jumping to conclusions. Theres more to sky that British soccer.

emmetmcl, maybe you can clarify what you are looking for.
    basically it uses satellite, and the channels it received depend on what satellite(s) the dish is pointed at or whether it is motorised to point at different sats.

Alternatively, look here for more dreambox info:

http://www.dream-multimedia-tv.de/bo...Index&884d5753
    or
    http://www.i-have-a-dreambox.com/wbb...a02665441aa610

After the suggestion that he doesn't want to pay for Sky and put a Dreambox in the same question, is not jumping to any conclusions imo.

I'd say you know that too - Fair enough, If I'm wrong here I'll eat humble pie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭ubuntulinux

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

I have a Dreambox 800HD but seriously thinking of moving to a VU+ duo - I really miss the dual tuner functionality.

Half of the problem is learning how to configure the Dreambox but once you learn that then it's a wonderful piece of kit. I may even be able to sell you mine fully configured if I go for the other option ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Ros Man

If you dont mind I'm going to kidnap this thread. I have a new dreambox 800hd. official one not a clone. My old set-up was Humax5400 with 90cm dish and motex moter which worked nicely until I decided to take the plunge on the Dreambox. Anyhow I know my dish is properly aligned etc. So my question is where do I start? I have read several posts here and on other sites about new images, networking, setting up the channel lists, setting up the moter. But what comes first. Do I install the latest image first (using cable) or try and connect my PC via the network first. Should I get the moter setup on the image that is their already. If I could get pointed in the right direction I would get cracking on!

Advertisement