Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

another word for granny?

Options
  • 30-10-2010 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭

My mother has recently become a granny to my brothers child , however she really hates that word as i dont think she has fully come to terms with it yet!! :D:D
    Im just wondering what other terms there are ou there, im looking for one she'll find easier to cope with! So far her favourite is mamo - the irish version, but im just wondering what other options are out there. She has shot down gran, granny, nan, nana etc!
    All suggestions welcome!

p.s she really loves her grandchild and is a great grandmother its only an issue with the term itself!!!:p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Her first name? I always called my grannies Granny *first name* :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

The first one I thought of when i saw the title was Mamó.... I say if she likes that one roll with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Though still in her 40's my sister is a grandmother. :) Her term is "ganny" and she loves it.

My wifes gran was called "mama". I never met the lady, but she sounds like a lovely matriarch type and it sounds like it suited her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Oma.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

my mom is nana and mil is gran. we asked them before ds was born and they chose themselves

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Another + 1 for Mamó

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Dante

Mammoth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭gar120

Glamourous Granny.

Glammy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

nanny
    nan
    gran

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Thanks to everyone for your replies! Most useful!! seriously tho..mammoth??:D
    Have to say i loooovveee glanny but no sure she will :p

I am now wondering if my nephew could just start calling her something cute when he starts to talk, we may just make it stick whatever it is!! But yeah im still thinking mamo the best option!

Thanks again :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

My mam is granny (on the insistence of my dad who hates the term nanny), their other grandmother is nanny!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

One is nana and she is 60 today! Happy birthday mom.....

The other is mamie or granny mamie and she is around 75.

• Administrators Posts: 14,057 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

By the time he's old enough to talk she'll have "come to terms" with it!

Tell her not to stress it. Mamó is nice though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

my mam insisted my girl called her nana but she now just calls her by her first name! dunno where she got that from cause id call her mam!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Oma.

My Dutch nephews and Nieces refer to their grandmothers , including their Irish one as Oma

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

My mum's name is Annette so she wanted to be called her Nanette, i called one of my granny's Nan and the other Gran Síle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

Latchy wrote: »
    My Dutch nephews and Nieces refer to their grandmothers , including their Irish one as Oma

Yeah, German too. That only works for German (and Dutch, I didnt know that one).

It does sound better, to English speaking ears, than gran.

Gran sounds 70-80.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

For some reason my nephew calls his granddad papa Alan , my mum is always grandma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

lynski wrote: »
    my mom is nana and mil is gran. we asked them before ds was born and they chose themselves
    nintendo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Yeah, German too. That only works for German (and Dutch, I didnt know that one).

It does sound better, to English speaking ears, than gran.

Gran sounds 70-80.

I would sometimes hear them say ' are we going to see Oma ? '' and I kinda guessed who they were refering to until my sister explained and the term
    '' You should never throw your Oma off the bus '' has a better ring to it then Granny :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭babs.jones

My mam is grandma and She's only 55. The other one is called by her first name. I hate it. She's got 3grandkids and hates been called nana or gran or anything like that.
    Also my dads name is gangdad (just coz he can't say it proper).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Galway Gran or GG for short (my Da's side of the family) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

My mam had to come to terms with this too recently (only 49) and doesn't like the term granny at all. am waiting to see what sprogette comes up with and I'll run with that

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Chicago Chick

My Mum is nana and my Mother in Law in nanny. Both by their own choice.

Has your mother any preferences at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

My boys call their grandparents by their first names mostly, it was left up to the children what terms to use, I think that is the easiest way!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Clashmore

My Parents recently became Grandparents and they are being called Mamó agus Dadó. I think its nice.
    My uncle hates being called GrandDad and he insists the the kids call him by his first name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

we called one of our grandmothers "nana" and the other by her first name
    only one grandfather was alive, and we called him "grandad"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Always called mine granny and grandad on both sides of the family

It's actually pretty hard to get cards and stuff with just granny but I refuse to get her one with anything else on it as it would feel weird cos I never call her anything else!:o

mamo is lovely though

remember this from a snowglobe I bought her once though

"nan, nana, gran, grandma...no matter how you say it...you're the best!":)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 sallystar

+1 for mamo.

My son went through a phase of calling my mum 'love' as he used to hear my dad calling her that. Sounded very funny coming from a 3 yr old. He used to run out of nursery school shouting 'Hi love!'

He's a bit older now and calls me by my first name in front of his friends. 'Mum' apparently doesn't sound cool enough:pac:.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

My sister's three year old calls my parents Papa and Granny. Her six year old calls them Grampa and Nanny. They decided on these names themselves.

The same nieces call my granny "Old Granny" or "Old Nanny" respectively. Again, they came up with that one for themselves.

My Aunt decided she wanted her grandchildren to call her "Grandmamma". She got "Gamma" and "Damma" and the names have stuck.

OP, your mother probably won't have much say in what she's called.

Advertisement