Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

another word for granny?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

My mother hates all the terms we put to her, her name is Gina so my wee lad calles her "G".....i wind her up by calling her Nana G :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

My Mum is nana and my Mother in Law in nanny. Both by their own choice.

Has your mother any preferences at all?

I am loving hearing all of your options!!! Thanks so much to everyone!!

The issue (i think - as she'd never admit it!!!) is that she does not see her self as old, (she's mid 60's). While its a 'normal' age for someone to become a grandmother she just is finding it hard to move into that category i think. She is quite glam and i think really associates the tems granny or nana or granny x etc with the names we as kids called her mum or my dads mum. Her mother recently passed away so i think a small part of it is that she doesnt want her to be replaced (even she called her granny for the last 20 yrs!!) and so she doesnt want to take on her title!

That may all seem odd but i think its a fairly accurate explanation!
    I think mamo seems to be acceptable to her so she may well end up with that but i just want to give her options!
    I really like the first initial one - i think the person said G, i think thats really cute, her name begins with M and i think that could be sweet so ill suggest!
    I never realised the effect becoming a grandmother could have on a lady!

Thanks again for all of the responses! Much appreciated!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

We asked his grandmother what she wanted to be called, she wanted to be called nana. Since he has no contact with his other grandmother we don't need to ask what she is called.

Some families call one nana and the other granny. We call my nan granny (enter surname)

Advertisement