Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a decent build?

Options
  • 30-10-2010 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭

untitled-1.png

Questions are in the pic :D

EDIT: I don't need any thing on top of this. I can get OS and Peripherals myself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Shipping is €30.

The GTX 460 1GB is an excellent card. The GPU industry is fairly fast moving and is often the first part to be upgraded. It should last you a while.
    The X6 is a good deal for that price. You won't see it performing the best in current games, but hopefully we'll see better use of it in the future.

Wireless adapter - USB adapters used to be handy so you could move it between PC/laptops. All new laptops have it and you probably won't be moving it around, but you know yourself. If you do use the full benefits of wireless N, USB 2 still wouldn't limit you, so it's pretty much the same. I would choose a wired connection over wireless if you want to play online games - with proper wiring or with homeplugs.

MB - We don't even know if Bulldozer will have the same socket. :(

Edit: Oh yeah, OCZ RAM has had bad press recently, maybe grab something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Go for the PCI wireless adaptor, USB will usually have a higher latency than PCI. A good PCI adaptor shouldn't cause any noticeable lag, I have one in my own machine and on average my ping is increased by no more than 5ms when gaming. If you notice significant lag on a wireless network, it's generally because either your router is weak or you're getting interference from neighbouring networks on the same channel.

They x6 should last a good while, apps are still slow to take advantage of 4 cores let alone 6. You could always get an aftermarket cooler and have a go at overclocking it if you ever wanted to get a bit more poke out of it.

Have a look at the 6850 too... shouldn't be much more expensive, it beats the 460 in some games, but not all.

I'd be wary of that case though, only has a tiny exhaust. Increasing the inputs aint going to make much of a difference if it can't shift out the hot air quick enough. I'd consider spending a bit more on it, maybe the likes of an Antec300 which has more configuration options.

Advertisement