Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do people really dream of council housing

Options
  • 30-10-2010 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭

Just spotted this wee journalistic gem on http://www.galwaynews.ie/15797-no-new-social-housing-be-built-city-ten-years :
    The dreams of 3,500 people on the city housing list are set to be dashed next week...

Do people really dream of being allocated a council house? I thought most who were on the waiting list were there simply so they could qualify for rent allowance.

Personally I'd see a council house (small, landlord who won't negotiate, rules can be changed at any time, more chance of dodgy neighbours then in other neighbourhoods) as a nightmare, not a dream.

Or have I got it all wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Yes, it may have changed in the last ten years, but many people *did* want to get a house, and not just to qualify for rent allowance (though the housing list was a 'hoop' for that I believe)

Two friends of mine got council housing in the last ten years, they are older, and the sense of security it gave them was enormous. For whatever reasons, it gave them stability. A private landlord could and did 'sell' at any time, or use the clause that 'relatives were moving in' (the loophole you could use if you wanted to turf tenants, and rerent at a higher price to new people).

My two friends never had better neighbours than they do now, and have a better quality of life.

There are many stories of course, I just mentioned this one. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

inisboffin wrote: »
    qualify for rent allowance (though the housing list was a 'hoop' for that I believe)

Still is. That's why the list has increases dramatically with the recession.

'Tis one of the things that makes me very cross about the welfare system in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Would love a council house myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

My two friends never had better neighbours than they do now, and have a better quality of life.

:)

Having good neighbours, as opposed to bad neighbours, makes such a difference to quality of life that it would be an interesting exercise to attempt to put a monetary value on them!

I know everybody might say -probably rightly - that one cannot put a price on good neighbours, however I would say they might add in the region of up to €150,000 to the worth of one's house (assuming a standard semi-detached). Similarly, having bad neighbours can devalue the worth of one's house enormously.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

:)

Neighbourhoods with nice decent people of integrity living in them: now that's my definition of "Upper Class" neighbourhoods.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Do ya know what?????????????????

I'm getting fcuking sick and tired of coming into the Galway section of Boards and hearing that because I grew up in a council house in the Westside and went to the Pres that I am in some way a knacker or an undesirable. It's becoming a weekly occurrence here.:mad::(:o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Hey nobody said that fluffyorganic

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I'm getting fcuking sick and tired of coming into the Galway section of Boards and hearing that because I grew up in a council house in the Westside and went to the Pres that I am in some way a knacker or an undesirable. It's becoming a weekly occurrence here.:mad::(:o

Here sure I grew up in Mervue, I've been getting it my whole life. Don't worry about it fluffy.

FWIW Our house was a council house, my parents were offered either east or west side of the city and my Mam knew someone in Innishannagh at the time and warned her against it do she put down east and was given social housing in Mervue. There was a very strong sense of community on our road, everyone was in the same boat and looked out for each other. Sure a lot of people were rough around the edges but you get that.

At the time for my mam it was a dream come true alright, she was living with her mother in law!

There are still a lot of people who getting a council house would be heaven for. Renting in this country is a pain in the ass you can never feel truly settled IMO. A lot of landlords want their places to look the exact same as when you moved in and don't take into account normal wear and tear. Our last one left us hanging 2 months after we asked him could we repaint one of the rooms for the baby. We were even painting it the same colour and paying for it (his own kids had drawn on the walls). Wish it was more like other places where you only rent the house and accumulate your own stuff over time.

Anyway, I think council houses are a godsend for a lot of people.

I don't understand why there is a waiting list with hundreds, if not thousands, of houses and apartments sitting empty around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

I don't understand why there is a waiting list with hundreds, if not thousands, of houses and apartments sitting empty around the country.

Because that would be a simple and cost effective way of dealing with things and unfortunately this country is being run by corrupt, ignorant idiots who seem to want the people of this country to suffer rather than make a single sensible decision.

I can see well why someone would want a council house, a frien of mine who is a single mum got one about two years ago, she was only on the list for seven years. She's never been so happy, renting was really unsettling for her daughter as it was during the boom times and they'd only ever be somewhere for a year and the landlord would increase the rent and they'd have to move house again. Also, she could never afford somewhere that was very suitable for a kid. This was in Dublin btw but the point is still relevant here I think.

• Advertisement

I think you've misunderstood the points of this thread.

You're right fluffyorganic, growing up in a council house does not automatically mean undesirable. By a similar (but not the same) token, can we avoid bandying about the word 'knacker'? I see that a lot on boards too in the same sentence as undesirable etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

can we avoid bandying about the word 'knacker'? I see that a lot on boards too in the same sentence as undesirable etc.

Knackers are now desirable?
    Maybe if you have a dead animal to get rid of............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Can someone explain to me why there is council housing to this day?

Why should people be entitled to a house? Why not give people rent allowance and let them find their own accommodation like I had to do when I was on Unemployment Benefit?

Who exactly gets the right to a house? And why don't they have to work and pay their own rent in full like anyone else?

kraggy wrote: »

Why should people be entitled to a house? Why not give people rent allowance and let them find their own accommodation like I had to do when I was on Unemployment Benefit?

Who exactly gets the right to a house? And why don't they have to work and pay their own rent in full like anyone else?

I may be wrong, but I believe you still have to pay rent (or pay via rent allowance). One huge difference is that it is a more long term thing. Years down the line you would get first crack at buying your house from the Council.
    In other words, when you move into it, there's a better chance you'd be there for a while, so you'd feel more stable.

I think anyone on unemployment can get offered a house, but there is a 'priority' bumping I think for those with disability, elderly, with young kids, etc.

You do pay rent on a council house to the best of my knowledge.

I think some people definitely take advantage and don't deserve it but there are plenty of people out there who would like to be able to pay their own way but are perhaps in a situation where they have too many dependents, i.e. a single mother or a family with kids where either the mother or father requires care so the other parent needs to look after them and hence can't work etc.

I have always thought the government would be better off to provide a grant to single parents towards their childcare so they could work rather than giving them welfare. I've met plenty of single mums who would love to be out working but financially can't afford to do it with the childcare costs, result: sitting on the dole and applying for council housing. The government would be better off to pay their childcare for them, allowing them to work, pay tax and be more financially independent, it would cost the taxpayer less as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,492 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

You're right fluffyorganic, growing up in a council house does not automatically mean undesirable. By a similar (but not the same) token, can we avoid bandying about the word 'knacker'? I see that a lot on boards too in the same sentence as undesirable etc.

It's hypocritical to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Having good neighbours, as opposed to bad neighbours, makes such a difference to quality of life that it would be an interesting exercise to attempt to put a monetary value on them!

I know everybody might say -probably rightly - that one cannot put a price on good neighbours, however I would say they might add in the region of up to €150,000 to the worth of one's house (assuming a standard semi-detached). Similarly, having bad neighbours can devalue the worth of one's house enormously.

From a thread in the Accomodation & Property Forum.

You'd pretty much have to PAY me to buy this thing: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/euro45000-price-a-steal-but-wayne-dundons-next-door-2399458.html?start=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

mikom wrote: »
    Knackers are now desirable?
    Maybe if you have a dead animal to get rid of............

Swinging decapitated animals around is the most disgusting thing to do ...to say the least

I only used the term "knacker" as it was referred to that the Pres school was knackery in a thread earlier in the week.......Thought it was bang out of order myself as well:(

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    It's hypocritical to say the least.

Look in the thread on Secondary schools for girls and you will see where I was coming from!!

Probably a little over sensitive on the issue at the moment so sorry.......

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Because most of them are either:
    A) not finished
    B) without anything nearby (such as shops of schools)
    C) both of the above

If a single person (lets say a fit white male, for arguments sake), and a married couple with a kid went for a council house at the same time, the "family unit" would be in line before the single. In a few years, the kid may need to goto school. But if the estate is not anywhere near schools, shops, or anything else, putting a family (who may not have a car) into it would be pretty dumb, esp if there was no transport infrastructure nearby that would allow them to get into their local village or city to work.

I think anyone on unemployment can get offered a house.

Not necessarily. If they've owned a house before, then unless the bank foreclosed on the mortgage (which the courts here don't allow very often), they're not eligible for council housing, which means they're not eligible for rent-allowance either.

If you think too hard about what could go wrong (get sick long term, can't work, can't pay, but can't get support either ... ) it really puts you off the idea of buying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Bit a nostalgic video here.

I'm sure most of ye have seen it before

You'll hear one lady very unhappy that she was allocated a flat but others were given houses.
    "I don't see how I'm benefitting"

Every society has some people who aren't able to look after themselves, due to illness, poor education, plain bad luck (nb I'm including alcohol-addiction as mental illness, and criminal tendancies as poor education). In a civilised society, most people want these folks housed, clothed and fed, either because they believe in their intrinsic worth as people, or because they know it keeps the crime rate down.

But from what I can see, council housing here is viewed as a permanent solution, rather than temporary assistance until you can get back on your own two feet and over your bad luck. While this builds strong neighbourhoods ("all in this together"), I'm not sure that it builds resilient people overall.

I found the original article particular amusing because the housing list has grown hugely with the recession, but only because anyone who wants rent-allowance has to go on it. My guess that most of the new additions would be dreaming of a job, and thus being able to pay their own rent, rather than a council house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

JustMary wrote: »

Do people really dream of being allocated a council house?

of course. and food. and warmth.
    but then, some people a a little crazy.

Mary, do you really think it's an aspiration? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

Thanks for the link feelingstressed. Brought back memories of my childhood seeing the flats.

I do think that the housing allocated by the Council in Galway is superior to that in other cities that I am aware of. I have a friend in Dublin living in a high rise flat in D7 area and the crap that goes on there is horrific.

The stupidity of the scheme is that you have to join the list in order to get rent allowance, as JustMary already outlined. This is ridiculous and causes the figures reported in the media to have shock value in their articles with year lists etc. I spent some time working in the Housing Dept of a City Council (not Galway) and for one house you could go through 20 applicants as most had joined for this purpose and did not want a Council House. (only going back 3 years here).

At this stage I would love my own house, Council or privately owned. I don't qualify for the Council list, but if offered one in the morning i would take it. Long term security of residence is priceless in my rental experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

dollybird2 wrote: »
    I spent some time working in the Housing Dept of a City Council (not Galway) and for one house you could go through 20 applicants as most had joined for this purpose and did not want a Council House. (only going back 3 years here).

Out of interest and you don't have to say where you were working.

Your hear a lot about TD's and councillors having influence and getting people further up the list. Skipping the queue so to speak.

Does that actually happen? Or a myth?

Thanks for understanding Inisboffin:)
    I'm not usually a gripey auld wan but posts got the better of me this week:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

they could release all the boarded up properties and empty properties in the city and offer them to people on the waiting lists. They can get rent in for these houses then instead of them sitting idle.

That is unless Niall Mc Neilis brainwave comes to pass - anyone read his piece in the paper last week- he would like all these properties to go to the asylum seekers, because they are "bored" looking at the same four walls in the places they are in now in Galway.

Advertisement