Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do people really dream of council housing

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

I have friends living in a very nice non Council estate and I can assure you they want out due to the neighbours trouble is they cant afford to get out so they are stuck there, you will get bad neighbours in any estate in fact some of the best people in Galway came from Council estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

One of the major problems of moving in the entire housing list into empty properties is that it creates a homogenous society of "have nots": ballymun flats all over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

agreed xiney

you get good and bad everywhere - people who came from council estates are the same as everyone else but were tended to be looked down on because of the area which they came from - a completely narrowminded view of course born out of ignorence. But it did and does happen.

they did have an "law" that meant that the social housing had to be integrated with the "regulars housing" giving part of each estate over for this purpose, but at the time when this was agreed, they also invented a loophole for developers to give money to the govt instead of assigning some of their houses to social/affordable,therefore releasing them of the burden.

don't know about anywhere else but then the galway council proceeded to build "ghetto style housing" and charge exhorbitant amounts for them on the affordable housing section which I think people must have refused as they are now for sale on the open market to try and get rid.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

they could release all the boarded up properties and empty properties in the city and offer them to people on the waiting lists. They can get rent in for these houses then instead of them sitting idle.

I wonder how much it would cost to fix them up, and whether the problems that caused them to get boarded up in the first place might just recurr????

That is unless Niall Mc Neilis brainwave comes to pass - anyone read his piece in the paper last week- he would like all these properties to go to the asylum seekers, because they are "bored" looking at the same four walls in the places they are in now in Galway.

This is totally off topic, but I can't help but observe that the way that RoI treats asylum-seekers is totally inhumane, and probably breaks international treaties. You have families including pre-school children living back-packer hostel style, for years, alongside people with serious mental health issues due to the experiences they've had. Four washing machines between 300 people - you do the maths. Etc.

The chances of another Murphy/Ryan style report in 20/40 years are enormous.

Now, returning discussion to the topic at hand. Thank you dollybird for giving some indications of the proportions (1 in 20) who do actually want a council house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

JustMary wrote: »

This is totally off topic, but I can't help but observe that the way that RoI treats asylum-seekers is totally inhumane, and probably breaks international treaties. You have families including pre-school children living back-packer hostel style, for years, alongside people with serious mental health issues due to the experiences they've had. Four washing machines between 300 people - you do the maths. Etc.

Yeah, much worse than where they came from....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Just spotted this wee journalistic gem on http://www.galwaynews.ie/15797-no-new-social-housing-be-built-city-ten-years :

Do people really dream of being allocated a council house? I thought most who were on the waiting list were there simply so they could qualify for rent allowance.

Personally I'd see a council house (small, landlord who won't negotiate, rules can be changed at any time, more chance of dodgy neighbours then in other neighbourhoods) as a nightmare, not a dream.

Or have I got it all wrong?

it carries a certain stigma here in ireland, but i know its cherished in other countries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

This is totally off topic, but I can't help but observe that the way that RoI treats asylum-seekers is totally inhumane, and probably breaks international treaties. You have families including pre-school children living back-packer hostel style, for years, alongside people with serious mental health issues due to the experiences they've had. Four washing machines between 300 people - you do the maths.

They get shelter, food, education, entertainment, freedom and €19 per week..for free.
    I have to pay for all those things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

snubbleste wrote: »
    They get shelter, food, education, entertainment, freedom and €19 per week..for free.

I can see you having another Murphy/Ryan style report in 20/40 years snubbleste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Why do we have asylum seekers anyway?

Are their applications being processed still? They can't work if they're asylum seekers, so we spend millions housing/feeding/schooling them.

All well and good in the good times, but how about now? I realise we can't ship them off again, but have the government put a stop to others coming in?

If not, they should. Then when we are in a financially stable condition again we can help some more of them out, but in the meantime, I say close the doors.

Anyone know how it works?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

kraggy wrote: »
    Why do we have asylum seekers anyway?

Are their applications being processed still? They can't work if they're asylum seekers, so we spend millions housing/feeding/schooling them.

All well and good in the good times, but how about now? I realise we can't ship them off again, but have the government put a stop to others coming in?

If not, they should. Then when we are in a financially stable condition again we can help some more of them out, but in the meantime, I say close the doors.

Anyone know how it works?
    recently read an article about an asylum seeker who spat in the face of a pregnant manager in argos
    (can't find link but was in indo or advertiser)
    the report said he had been living in Ireland for 3yrs but could not work:confused:

what is the long-term plan for asylum seekers?
    surely what the government are doing now (taking them in, giving them accommodation supplying education food etc.) is only temporary?

surely this guy after living here for 3yrs wasn't still waiting on his application to be processed???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

magentas wrote: »
    r

surely this guy after living here for 3yrs wasn't still waiting on his application to be processed???

I'd say it's possible. I have non EU friends who are going through various immigration processes including Residency, Citizenship, Employee permit (all being work eligible) and Residency without work ability (living here but not getting income from here necessarily - ie using savings or having an overseas business). Citizenship waiting list is at least 5 years I think.

Surely they could grant asylum seekers a shorter term work permit (not much use in this economy though) and review it.

Why can't people going down the private sale route?
    Yes I know that some people have no option and some people genuinely need the help but I know of a lot of people that never really aspired to actually buying their own home...the council house was the only thing in their heads

These are the same kind of people that never had a job during the boom years...the mentality of "why work when I can get money for nothing"
    no sense of achievement IMO

Of the 9 women I know that are living rent-free because they are "single mothers" only 1 of them actually is a single mother that doesn't have her OH living in with her
    People like this are, in essence, stealing taxpayers money and making life harder for the people that genuinely need assistance (in terms of waiting list times etc)

If I were to go on the dole I would receive no financial assistance from government
    I know people who reckon that they'd be better off financially if they left their jobs because of what they would receive in state benefits

Council housing is fine for people that genuinely need it but there are so many people abusing the system it's not even funny:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Of the 9 women I know that are living rent-free because they are "single mothers" only 1 of them actually is a single mother that doesn't have her OH living in with her
    People like this are, in essence, stealing taxpayers money and making life harder for the people that genuinely need assistance (in terms of waiting list times etc)

<snip>

:mad:
    If you feel this way, report them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

snubbleste wrote: »

How long have you lived in a shared room in a back-packer hostel? My limit was three months, after which I was very, very happy to score a decent job and therefore a flat of my own. And I didn't have pre-school children to keep entertained.

Entertainment and freedom? Ahh, no. They have to live where directed, eat dinner at the time directed, wash their clothes at the time directed, etc.

FWIW, most refugees are in camps closer to where they came from. Asylum seekers are folks who've made it into the country before claiming asylum. Turning off the tap is kinda hard, because by definition, these folks make it in here before we know that they're claimin asylum.

the_syco wrote: »
    If you feel this way, report them.
    I don't have the right to turn someones world upsidedown by reporting them for something like this
    It just makes me sad and angry that people choose to live like this
    having to live a lie and watching your back just to get something for free
    what kind of example are they setting for their children?

sorry I'll stop ranting now:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Why can't people going down the private sale route?
    Yes I know that some people have no option and some people genuinely need the help but I know of a lot of people that never really aspired to actually buying their own home...the council house was the only thing in their heads

These are the same kind of people that never had a job during the boom years...the mentality of "why work when I can get money for nothing"
    no sense of achievement IMO

If I were to go on the dole I would receive no financial assistance from government
    I know people who reckon that they'd be better off financially if they left their jobs because of what they would receive in state benefits

Council housing is fine for people that genuinely need it but there are so many people abusing the system it's not even funny

sorry I'll stop ranting now:rolleyes:

Really? Ok then.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

Out of interest and you don't have to say where you were working.

Your hear a lot about TD's and councillors having influence and getting people further up the list. Skipping the queue so to speak.

Does that actually happen? Or a myth?

It's a few years back now when I was a student. There was a lot of councillors etc who promised the moon sun and stars to people on the list. They would make declarations to people and publicly claim to help people move up the list but they were really just waxing lyrical and didn't have any influence over the list.

The only way one could move up the list was if they were prioritised by the Dept depending on their personal circumstances - e.g disabled people.

Tbh my time spent there made me very cynical about public officials but did instill in me respect for the lower grade public servants who work on the front line and take the abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Dr McManus

recently read an article about an asylum seeker who spat in the face of a pregnant manager in argos
    (can't find link but was in indo or advertiser)
    the report said he had been living in Ireland for 3yrs but could not work:confused:

what is the long-term plan for asylum seekers?
    surely what the government are doing now (taking them in, giving them accommodation supplying education food etc.) is only temporary?

The man you refer to was Romanian.
    Romania is part of the EU.
    EU citizens are not asylum seekers.
    The man you refer to chose not to avail of the services offered, and decided to shoplift as a source of income.
    The long term plan for asylum seekers is to assess their need, and eligibility, then either grant them asylum; or deport them to their country of origin.
    There are no plans to change this process.

Advertisement