Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€1000 Gaming Build

Options
  • 30-10-2010 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, it's been quite a long time since I did a self build but it looks like my beast lappy is no longer a beast and starting to struggle a bit with games. Could you guys spec me a build below 1000 yoyo's?

I've been looking at the intel i3/i5 processors but to be honest I'm not fully up to speed yet on the latest tech. My only requirements would be a good size monitor, an SSD drive(if affordable) and obviously a pretty good mid level graphics card. :)

*Edit* Should I actually have created a new thread for this?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

*Edit* - Yes, you should :p €1000 is a fair way beyond "budget rig" :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Thanks for the help all. I've gotten a mate more in the know than me with the latest tech to help me over the past few days and we've put this together.

Can you guys please have a look and tell me any flaws you see or improvements that could be made? I'm holding off on an SSD for now until they come down in price a bit.

file.php?id=5198&mode=view

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

just a quick go at it, sorry if i missed anything

orderz.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

- The i3 is a terrible processor if you're considering it for gaming. Go for an i5 760. You won't regret it. Or if you have the extra cash, get an i7 860

- Do you REALLY need a Blu-Ray drive?

- The Asus mATX isn't a very good board. Go for a 100-120 euro MSI/Gigabyte motherboard instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

yeah in my own build i would probably downgrade the blu ray to a dvd-rw drive and use the savings to buy a 6870 rather than a 460 gfx card

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Thanks Cherry. Yep I've been doing some further reading and everyone is saying that Gigabyte and MSI > Asus this generation. I'll drop the blu-ray drive but the other additions you suggest will push me too far over my budget.

*Edit* Scratch that... some chopping and changing and I've got the i5-760 and a hopefully decent Gigabyte mobo. This is only 1 Euro over my budget including delivery. :D Thoughts?

file.php?id=5199&mode=view

Advertisement