Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Echo & The Bunnymen

Options
  • 30-10-2010 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

As a reason to do some proper listening to some of my favourite albums I decided to start a blog reviewing / critiqueing them.

First up is the Bunnymen's Ocean Rain - a truly brilliant album. The full blogpost is here, I've pasted the first few paragraphs below...
    The fickle scales which balance talent against recognition treated Echo and The Bunnymen with an uncommon cruelty. Musically, they had it all but somehow never reached the commercial heights of the big hitters throughout the 1980s.

The brand of guitar-driven post-punk they presented with their debut album Crocodiles, four years prior to Ocean Rain, carried a menace that by this album had been tempered by their growing mastery of melody and arrangement. Clearly their ears were wide open to the music of their 1960’s childhoods in Liverpool as well as David Bowie's finest moments of the 70's. By the time they recorded this, their fourth studio album, the four piece had reached their pinnacle.

Advertisement