Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One man Tents

Options
  • 30-10-2010 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good quality, yet reasonably priced one-man tent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

I lol at the user name post combo,

Cheat and cheerful have a look at coleman aviorx2, small light and when pegged out well will stand up to most things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

i have the hilleberg akto came highly recommended and sure lives up to that ;) but expensive .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Le Loup

I don't use a tent Trust, I use an oil cloth. I find the oil cloth more versatile, and I can light a reflector fire in front of it in winter to keep me warm. Also I can reach the fire for cooking without leaving the shelter.

002ex.jpg

Sorry, I have tried every which way to post my video here but it still won't post. So here is the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUHU1WgLjbA

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

Le Loup wrote: »
    I don't use a tent Trust, I use an oil cloth. I find the oil cloth more versatile, and I can light a reflector fire in front of it in winter to keep me warm. Also I can reach the fire for cooking without leaving the shelter.

Somehow i don't think an oil cloth would live up to the Irish weather though!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Le Loup wrote: »

Doesn't Oz have loads of poisonous things that crawl?

• Advertisement

keenan110 wrote: »
    Somehow i don't think an oil cloth would live up to the Irish weather though!;)

This is New England in New South Wales Keenan, we get snow and ice here, and I do most of my camping in winter.

Evil Phil wrote: »
    Doesn't Oz have loads of poisonous things that crawl?

Yes Phil, but not in winter. Well, accept for polititions.

le loup you look like a guy from times past ,i mean that in a nice way.;)
    do you use any modern gear like tents/ stove/ compass / satnav /or even matches to light the fire..fair play to you it's a fantastic skill to have .

le loup you look like a guy from times past ,i mean that in a nice way.;)
    do you use any modern gear like tents/ stove/ compass / satnav /or even matches to light the fire..fair play to you it's a fantastic skill to have .

No I only use 18th century gear when trekking and camping. It worked 300 years ago for wilderness survival, and has stood the test of time. Much more fun, and interesting. I think anyone is better off at least learning the old skills first, even if they then decide to use modern gear. You learn so much more.
    brasscompassbookcover.jpg

I do have a compass, but it too is 18th century. My brass sundial compass.

le loup thanks for that ,i think there's a bit of a genius about you;)
    ray mears is a big hit in this part of the world marvelous to see how he can live or even survive of the land were many a man perished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Pplsgod

I bought a Gelert Solo One Man Tent on Amazon for less than €30.

It is small but does exactly what you need it to do, it can be assembled in hardly any time at all. I sprayed the seams with some waterproofing for a little added protection.

Read the reviews on Amazon however, they will tell you a lot more than I can

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

there is time and place for every bit of kit. using an old-school bivy camp like that will not be viable in the more exposed parts of ireland in the winter. ireland is one of the least forested countries in europe, and there are plenty of spots where it is just not any good for natural shelter. having said that, if you are in a woodland, you might as well be in eden. you have construction material, food and fuel. if you have a stream nearby, why be anyplace else.

re single man tents, i use a bivy bag. i regularly used it as my sole weather shelter. there are also hooped bivy shelters that are also very good. add a tarp and poncho to the mix and solo trips in winter become a lot more enjoyable and versatile than a traditional 1 man tent (i think) as you do not need to peg things down in such a traditial way.
    a night out with the ol bushcraft club and you will probably see more ways to camp than you could shake a stick at. hammocks, tarps, bivy bags, tents, debris shelters. the works.

Le Loup. love your gear. i think you would love this guy.
    http://www.ravenlore.co.uk/index.html

Thanks, I will check out the link.
    Regards.

Advertisement