Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are You Getting It (DTT)

• 30-10-2010 10:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

Now that Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT) has been switched on allbeit on a trial basis at present before the full launch next year. Thought it worth having a local thread on this.

If your getting it can you let folk know what type of aerial, /tv/set top box you are using and your general location.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

I have it with UPC and haven't noticed anything different yet anyway,picture is better but still the same crap on rte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

The service has been on for months, but 'unlaunched' which means it was an engineering test and subject to interruptions as the RTENL messed about with it.

Right now, it's a 'soft-launch'.

You'll not notice any difference on UPC, but if you have a DTT-capable TV (using Mpeg4, not the UK-standard Mpeg2) and an aerial you can get RTE's DTT service.

I noticed that the press yesterday were going on about 'High Definition', but its not HD at all.

The pictures don't really look much better than a decent analogue picture.

And, also contrary to what the press said, TV3 isn't on it yet as no agreement has been reached between RTENL and TV3 regarding payment to carry.

All you'll see right now is RTE1, RTE2, TG4, RTE News Now and a couple of test card channels.

A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

I have it in Ferrybank. Have a Triax 14 element wideband Yagi aerial mounted externally on a pole without a masthead amp.

I installed the aerial by aiming for the strongest analogue signal, thinking I would be receiving service from the Mount Leinster transmitter, but I am receiving the digital service on UHF channel 22 which I believe is a Waterford city infill transmitter.

Haven't noticed any picture breakup so far, even though the aerial probably isn't pointing in the right direction. My TV's tuner doesn't give any indication of signal strength or quality.

To be honest I don't watch the Irish channels much as there never seems to be anything on I want to watch. The picture quality on the HD test channel looks good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

seems like a lot of hassle to get some terrible programmes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

robtri wrote: »
    seems like a lot of hassle to get some terrible programmes

One mans trash is another mans treasure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Could have been a deadly thread going by the title :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

ziedth wrote: »
    Could have been a deadly thread going by the title :)

Attention seeker me :D Can you add DTT to title now pls might be no harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

^ Done,

But I think you can edit the title too If you fist edit the OP. But I could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I have RTE1, RTE2, TG4 and RTE News Now plus the test HD channel showing groovy scenes around Dublin, Wicklow and Galway, and a clutch of DAB radio stations. TV3 may or may not be getting on board soon.

The SD channels are not yet in the correct definition, RTE 2 comes closest.

edit - TV3 now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

anything dtt signals out the dunmore east or tramore ways....

• Advertisement

*bump*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

we have RTE1 RTE2 TG4 TV3 3e and the RTE news channel.

In boatstrand with a free sat dish.

we have RTE1 RTE2 TG4 TV3 3e and the RTE news channel.

In boatstrand with a free sat dish.

What kind of Aerial are you using for those DTT stations, rabbits ears/attic aerial or outdoor aerial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Have all the channels through playtv on the playstation 3 plugged into this

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5347225/Trail/searchtext%3EINDOOOR+AERIAL.htm

In Viewmount

Quite pleased with the picture quality and no break up either

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I thought 3e looked horribly soft last night watching the football, Channel 5 who also showed it was far superior (and they didn't have that bloody awful commentator)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

shinzon wrote: »
    Have all the channels through playtv on the playstation 3 plugged into this

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5347225/Trail/searchtext%3EINDOOOR+AERIAL.htm

In Viewmount

Quite pleased with the picture quality and no break up either

Shin

Can you receive the channels with just that Ariel?
    Or do you have to go through playstation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Can you receive the channels with just that Ariel?
    Or do you have to go through playstation?

You should be able to, its a Digital aerial so so long as you have a strong enough signal then you should have NPs in getting the channels plugged into a telly

Shin

Just for the record there is no such thing as a Digital Aerial :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

theres links for the ps3 that you can basicaly watch what you want on it with out the need for a aerial,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

theres links for the ps3 that you can basicaly watch what you want on it with out the need for a aerial,
    That is just the RTÉ Player. It isn't live tv.

• Advertisement

Finally got back to checking me new LG MPEG4 Monitor out for DTT and got all the stations with a normal to good signal level by just placing an aerial like the this on the coffee table in the living room.

mykindofaerial.jpg

and pointing towards the Waterford City infill transmitter, (horizontal) so happy enough to bung it up into the attic and go with that.

That infill transmitter is basically (pointing your aerial) up the upper yellow road or gacedieu road, that sort of direction.

Advertisement