Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online SSF IV Tournament

Options
  • 30-10-2010 11:31pm
    Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭

Been asking a few people about the interest in running an online tournament for the community similar to the gods garden online tournament thats just wrapping up at the moment. Seems a few people are interested anyway so I thought I post up and get some more opinions here.

Anyway I'm pretty much volunteering to keep track of the scores and matches played.

Format would be 12 players in the first round.
    FT3 in the first round.
    Which would mean a total of 66 matches over say 2-3 days.

Top 6 would progress to the second round.
    Second round would be FT10.
    Held over a period of a few weeks (3-4).

Choosing the 12 players could be done on a first come first served basis. Or we could use the seed list from Inferno. If its viable we could look at having bigger numbers of entrants in the future, but its probably best to start off small.

We could stream at least some of the matches and perhaps post a few non live matches to youtube after the matches are done.

Be more of a trail run to see how viable online tournaments are. Free online tournaments usually end up having a lot of no shows and difficulty of arranging meet ups and people quitting out if they are doing badly. But if something like this proved popular we could run it on a regular enough basis or run it in other games like BBCS, 3S or HDR even if on a smaller scale.

Perhaps might have a small prize of free entry to a future Inferno.

Anyway let us know what you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Would be totally up for this.

But what happens if someone has a dodgy broadband connection = crippling lag, or if 2 enterants can't connect to each other despite both having reliable speeds/latency etc?

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Well there should be a few warm up games before hand to test for lag. If both players agree to go ahead then they have agreed that the amount of lag is acceptable.

If not they can postpone the match and try again at a another time.

If its still laggy at the second attempt then, we can look at alternatives.
    (a) see if a player can use a different internet connection, go to a friends house to play.
    (b) if both live reasonably close to each other they can agree to play a match locally (could be done at a casual session or an inferno)
    (c) award a draw and have points for each.

If lag starts after a match starts they can postpone the matches like above and use the same options as above. The scoreline will be kept from the lag interrupted match.

As for not being able to connect, we can try the same options outlined as above. Also make sure your opponent has his ports open.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

I'm def up for this whenever. Hopefully my connection'l hold up!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

In my experience of online tourneys it's always best to get them done in one go, rather than over a period of time. Things crop up for people, they forget etc.

If Everyone at an arranged time (eg 8pm sunday) set up a 3 player lobby for themselves, their opponent and the person in charge of the stream, the streamer could just change between lobbies for each fight and show every match.

when people aren't playing they would be watching the stream.

If everyone is aware of the running order, has the lobby set to private, and an invite pre-sent to whoever is in charge of the stream, down time could be minimised.

i.e.

1.AnimaX
    v
    2.Doom

3.Chopper
    v
    4.Placebo

Terry and chopper set up a 3 man, private lobby each both invite Azza.

Azza accepts terrys invite, terry's match plays out. he wins.

Azza accepts choppers invite. Meanwhile terry boots doom, invites azza again.

Choppers fight takes place. He wins wins, Terry invites him.

etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Id be up for this. Most people are on irc and playing each other so it should be easy to organize

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Sounds like fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Sure why not. Maybe an online league even so we've something to keep track of and enjoy seeing who's moving around in position etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭prenelf

So would this be restricted to the regulars here, cause I'd like to play. Try to get a sence of what tournaments are like.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

prenelf wrote: »
    So would this be restricted to the regulars here, cause I'd like to play. Try to get a sence of what tournaments are like.

Come along to Inferno XIV on Saturday and you'll get a proper sense of what tournaments are like.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

What Chopper said.

Might discuss this more at Inferno anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

what about using tournament mode but having loads of rounds, so it turns out to be similar to best 2 out of 3 etc

Come along to Inferno XIV on Saturday and you'll get a proper sense of what tournaments are like.

I would like nothing more. But I live in Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I would like nothing more. But I live in Clare.

There will be people coming from Cork, Wexford, Westmeath, Carlow, Down, Antrim, Limerick, Louth and also Clare I think.

Cool. Perhaps I will. If I can find the place.:confused:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

There will be people coming from Cork, Wexford, Westmeath, Carlow, Down, Antrim, Limerick, Louth and also Clare I think.

Kildare too! Everyone forgets Kildare :D
    Cool. Perhaps I will. If I can find the place.:confused:

It's in Temple Bar, it's pretty easy to find.

I'll give you my phone no though if you do decide to come up if it makes you feel better. Send us a pm if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Placebo wrote: »
    what about using tournament mode but having loads of rounds, so it turns out to be similar to best 2 out of 3 etc

Doesn't really work out the same due to building up a lot more EX meter, can really change matchups around

Advertisement