Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas to make them believe Santa really came

Options
  • 30-10-2010 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi all, I'm just looking to know if anyone has any ideas to make the kids believe Santa really came. For the last few years I've done different things but I've run out of ideas. So far I've... Left a present in the chimney like it fell out of Santys bag on his way back out. put horse poop on the car roof droped by the reindeer as they flew away, made hoof prints on the car with sut like they landed on it. My only child is now 10 so I'd really like to hang on to Santa for 1 more year. Any ideas would be great. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

10? And still believing? Is that even possible? I pity the poor child if he's around his mates and claims to still believe. He'll be teased endlessly.

If you're serious though, try something simple like leaving half-eaten cookies and a half-glass of milk, along with a note from Santa saying thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

skyblue78 wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm just looking to know if anyone has any ideas to make the kids believe Santa really came. For the last few years I've done different things but I've run out of ideas. So far I've... Left a present in the chimney like it fell out of Santys bag on his way back out. put horse poop on the car roof droped by the reindeer as they flew away, made hoof prints on the car with sut like they landed on it. My only child is now 10 so I'd really like to hang on to Santa for 1 more year. Any ideas would be great. Thanks

If you have an open fire,a little bit of soot with 'footprints'..be they Santy or Reindeer worked on my chidren until they were about 11. Dont listen to the bah humbugs:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

OP, someone is definitely been hoodwinked here and it ain't your kid!!!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I think your kid is stringing you along maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

If your child is 10 chances are they are playing along for the extra pressies.
    That or they're going to get slagged unmercifully at school

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 skyblue78

I didn't ask for comments on whether you all think he believes in Santa or not. If hes pretending so what! He doesn't need to pretend so he'll get extra prezzies as hes an only child so hes the only one I have to spoil at xmas. And yes I do spoil him at xmas as hes mine to spoil. I know many more 10year olds who all say they believe in Santa and I haven't heard anyone mocking them. All I asked for were a few ideas to make it a little more special. If anyone would like to contribute some that would be great. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I didn't ask for comments on whether you all think he believes in Santa or not. If hes pretending so what! He doesn't need to pretend so he'll get extra prezzies as hes an only child so hes the only one I have to spoil at xmas. And yes I do spoil him at xmas as hes mine to spoil. I know many more 10year olds who all say they believe in Santa and I haven't heard anyone mocking them. All I asked for were a few ideas to make it a little more special. If anyone would like to contribute some that would be great. Thanks

I made a suggestion...as did another person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 skyblue78

Crazyrabbit thank you for your suggestion. It is appreciated along with chuken1. I suppose I was just amazed at all the comments that a 10yr couldn't believe in Santa or will be mocked for doing so. I dont believe 10 is too old and I'd be pretty amazed if he was the only 10yr old to believe. I do believe it'll be the last year with Santa and all I wanted were a few ideas to do something a little different to make it look as though Santa and the reindeer did stop by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

my parents used to get us to put out carrots for the reindeer on christmas eve and then when we would go out to see if they were still there on christmas morning most would be gone with a few half chewed one (id imagine there was a large whiskey before and after my father had to chew dirty carrots...all in the name of christmas!!)
    Also the glass of milk and biscuits thing, otherwise id say u've gone to great effort already!
    Dont mind the begrudgers.....i knew the truth for years before i told my parents but loved that they went to that effort and thought it was all great fun!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Bit of glitter around the fireplace..even a trail to the pressies if you fancy hoovering it up later. Santa used often drop a present near the fireplace with the name of the next door child on it(your neighbours can do the same and ye swap.)I would say your child may well believe, no matter what others here say. You may need to tell him before nest year though, as some children will glory in making nasty comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,585 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Leave the biscuits and milk out, make sure they are eaten/drank. Leave a red shock hanging from the underside of the chimney and maybe a bit of black soot around the chimney. The old ones are the best.

I don't think there's any harm in having a child who is ten believing in Santa, whether they are stringing you along or not.
    If getting "mocked" by other kids of their age is the problem then you need to realise that you kid could get "mocked" for almost anything at that age. Its part of growing up but theres no harm letting them believe in the "magic" of Christmas as long as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

op my now 13 year old belived in santy till he was 11, get the dvd POLAR EXSPRESS, tom hanks wrote it and stared in it , its about a boy who didnt belive in santy . i sat and watched it with my two boys and know what it was a cosey happy feel to it, i still have the dvd a nd watch it with them every xmas eve. to hell with the not so happy posters op, you do what you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I stopped believing when I was four but I also really wanted to believe it too. I was kind of sad that I had stopped. My parents convinced me the one thing I really wanted [a mickey mouse analogue watch] there was no way I was going to get. By that time, I had figured out how to tell time and having done transatlantics I understood time changed in different countries so I had my doubts as to how this all worked. We also lived in an apartment with no fireplace or chimney, so that didnt help either. My mother tried to explain trans molecular transformation or something she saw on star trek or something to explain how he got into the apartment. [This led to a slew of questions about burglers getting in. Sigh my poor mom!] So for a month they gave me reason after reason why I wouldnt get one from them. They dont sell them in NYC. They are too expensive. Im just going to lose it. Im just going to break it. What do I need to tell time for? They were aware I had fallen from faith too. And then at the last minute on Christmas eve, they sensed my desperation for a mickey mouse analogue watch and suggested I write a little note to Santa [no atheists in a foxhole theory being applied here by my parents] and tape it on the window, using the 'after all it cant hurt to try right?' method of persuasion. So I wrote my note, in my best handwriting, with please and thank yous and taped it to the window. And I didnt sleep a wink all night.

And the next day... what was under the tree? Yes, my mickey mouse watch and I believed Santa came. And there was no glitter or soot or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭lily lou

How about some white fluffy beard?? The year i was starting to doubt Santa this completely convinced me that Santa was real, we were all so excited when we found it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Get a big pair of shoes/boots and sieve some flour carefully around/over it to look like Santa's footprints (cause he has snow on his boots of course!). Some grass that must have been left behind by Rudolf etc.

Use the http://www.noradsanta.org/ site to build a sense of excitement throughout the day too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

My 10 year old still believes and the 12 year old is undeceided.
    If NORAD beleives in Santa then he's having trouble disputng that atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

a tuft of 'beard' (cotton wool) that snagged on the fireplace usually gets a reaction in our house. Last believer left is 9 years and I hope to keep that belief at least through this xmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

This is another brilliant site, my 3 children were astounded by it last year (eldest was almost 10, now almost 11, still believes, I think) Basically you put in the childs details, what they want for Christmas, also details of their lives, such as favourite things, how they've been good boy/girl, Etc., their e-mail address, and they get sent a link to a personalised video message from Santa, all for free.

http://portablenorthpole.tv/

Great fun, worth trying out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭EraseAndRewind

some brillant ideas there guys -its all about the magic

also OP my daughter is 10 and still believes in santa and the tooth fairy and the easter bunny as do many of her friends so your not the only one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭goosie2005

- half eaten carrot on the car windscreen.. as if fallen from the sky!
    - glitter in fireplace
    - small presents in the garden, to be found later in the day, with another child's name and address on it, e.g 'Sven, Stockholm, Sweden'...as if fell from the sleigh!
    -also, remember someone describing how they laid out 2 planks of wood on the grass a day or two before the big day, which when removed left a mark on the grass as if they were 'sleigh prints'

Enjoy the magic for as long as you can!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭30lady

such great ideas....can't wait to try a couple, I just LOVE the magic of Santa Claus and Christmas.

My son is 11 and he still believes..... definately.
    and as this has to be his last year believing I'm going to make it as magical as possible - magic dust (glitter) on the fireplace and big snowy (flour) boot prints by the tree, I can't wait :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

I second the footprints thing. My mate told me that he was fooled by some white sugar by the fireplace and little footprints in it. I guess sugar might be a bit too obvious to your kid's age group but maybe flour or something. Maybe even some real snow if you have it and can time his entrance into the room. The idea is that Santa has to shrink down really small so that he can get down the chimney, he knocks down some snow on his way and leaves his little footprints in it. Sounds sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Dont do flour or sugar or snow. An 11 year old will see right through that. I think my three year old would tbh. They know snow is supposed to be cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

How about a little bit of water and glitter instead of flour and stuff, they are intelligent enough to know ice melts:) Glitter makes it more special. :)

11 is the right age to stop believing, we are so busy growing up these days.

You should leave a half eaten carrot in the sitting room for Rudolf.

How old is he stocking? If it is a year or two old you could get santa to replace it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

I wanted to say an actual thanks (as opposed to simply hitting the thanks button) to each and every one who put such great suggestions on this thread !

We have done some of these before - I have not done the poo on top of the car one , and think I will try that this year - its something really different anyway! think I will get santa to replace the stockings too ...

My youngest is 11, still believes in santa ..(she would have admitted it to her big sister if not to us) ... but we will be telling her next year before she starts in 6th class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

I didn't ask for comments on whether you all think he believes in Santa or not. If hes pretending so what!

When my daughter was about that age, Santa Claus became a game ... the rules were unspoken and unwritten but they were understood completely ... the first rule was you do not talk about the fact that Santa doesn't exist, the second rule was you do not talk about the fact that Santa doesn't exist ... a Santa Claus Fight Club if you will. :)

It meant that we kept the magic alive a little longer at home, for all of us.

Anyway back on topic ... a little easier (to clean up) than the soot footprints was "snow" footprints leading from the chimney to the tree and back. Just cut out a big boot shape in a piece of stiff card and get the spray snow out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

When I was small, Dad used to climb up onto the roof and ring a bell (the old fashioned kind) and this was our queue to stay under the covers should he find us still up and not give us any pressies.

Milk and carrots were gone when we arrived in the sitting room as well....ahh innocent wonderful times... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

smokingman wrote: »
    When I was small, Dad used to climb up onto the roof and ring a bell (the old fashioned kind) and this was our queue to stay under the covers should he find us still up and not give us any pressies.

Milk and carrots were gone when we arrived in the sitting room as well....ahh innocent wonderful times... :)

Ha! I do this with my kids now, well not on the roof, but outside their windows with a little bell. Still gets them every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Myyra

How about this? http://www.santagreeting.net/?a_aid=77c2c6f0
    You can order a letter from the real Santy, also when my siblings and I were young my mother used to put a santy hat on broomstick and quickly move it around behind our bedroom windows so we'd catch a glimpse of the hat and think that elves would watching us :D It worked like magic :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

My 9 year old still believes without any doubt, and it's starting to worry me a bit. I'd kind of like the opposite to the OP - suggestions on how to gently make Santa less real. I'm planning to tell him towards next summer, just to avoid it happening at Christmas, and I don't want it to be a shock, or for him to be the last kid in the class to know.
    So how did people break the news???

Advertisement