Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend passage from bible

• 31-10-2010 1:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

Having never read the bible I thought I should, I picked up

'The new Jerusalem Bible' pocket edition.

It may be pocket sized but there's a lot of reading in it.

What I would love to find in it is Gods word, ideas so profound and perfect that they could only have come from Him, the supreme being.

Is there anything in the bible reflective of his nature,

Something that could never under any circumstance have been written by man for man about man.

Thx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

But the bible was written by man - by this I mean it had human authors - and it is for man.

I can't imagine what a piece of text would look like if it was to fulfil your criteria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Just to add...

While I don't doubt that Scripture is inspired by God and he may very well choose to speak to you through it, what you are asking of it seems to miss the point. Perhaps you need to better understand what the function of Scripture is.

I don't think that the Bible is a collection of magic documents intended to prove God's existence. Nor do I believe it to be simply a rule book (though it undoubtedly has such elements) that outlines appropriate responses to all the possible moral scenarios we might encounter in life. Rather, the Bible seems to me to be a testament to the story of creation and of God's interaction with it and, of course, this means with us. It is a love story that begins with the creation of the universe, unfolds to into a rocky story of sin and salvation and ends with the promise of the renewal of all creation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

Having never read the bible I thought I should, I picked up

'The new Jerusalem Bible' pocket edition.

It may be pocket sized but there's a lot of reading in it.

What I would love to find in it is Gods word, ideas so profound and perfect that they could only have come from Him, the supreme being.

Is there anything in the bible reflective of his nature,

Something that could never under any circumstance have been written by man for man about man.

Thx

In addition to Fanny's reflections, I would add that you should look at the bible as being different from other books.
    It's author is God. (never mind what instruments he used). It is a living book. ie, God speaks directly to you today from its pages.

You need to read it with the right spirit (frame of mind). eg, like a child on its mother's knee. Not like someone doing a Phd thesis.

Do that and you will soon have the answer to your questions. I would recommend starting with the new testament seeing as we are living in new testament times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

The Bible is a letter from God, full of insight, wisdom, advice, love and comfort.
    Some great scriptures that make you really see the personality of God are:

Philippians 4:7

Psalm 72: 12,13

My personal favourite is Heb 10: 30....I always think of this when I read about or see on TV a case of paedophilia or murder involving children..
    I mean, in most cases the court sentences are too lenient, but Hebrews 10:30 reassures me that they will get whats coming to them..

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Piano man

I chanced on an open Bible yesterday in an oratory and it was open on Isaiah 53. It is an exceptionally beautiful passage, and remarkable in its accuracy considering it was written several hundred years before Jesus fulfilled them.
    It really shows the depth of Christ's sacrifice for humanity.
    It's hard to imagine a human coming up with it on their own!

God bless :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement