Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Called in sick to manager - receiving intimidating texts and disresp texts

Options
  • 31-10-2010 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Folks

The company I work for is closing down in the coming weeks and we are all being made redundant. Until then it's business as usual. I have been feeling under the weather for the last 3 days and today my flu symptoms have spread to my chest. My voice is gone and my throat is raw from coughing, not to mention my stuffy head and nose. I am well and truly sick. I finished work at 3pm today and came straight home to bed thinking a snooze might help. When I woke at 9pm I felt even worse. At this stage I decided it was best to call in sick for tomorrow - I need to rest to get better and my work is based outdoors which is the worst thing for it.

I tried calling my managers phone but it rang out, so I text him explaining I am unwell and won't be coming in to work tomorrow and asked him to acknowledge he received my text. He has responded very unprofessionally and in an intimidating manner and has continued to do so for the night, one such message is asking why I didn't notify him sooner and implies that I am ruining his social life as he now has to find cover while on a night out and why haven't I found cover for myself?!?!

Honestly I am speechless but I'm very upset over the messages. I am genuinely sick and do not call in sick at all. We were told if we are sick to call this person and give at least 1hr notice and I have provided more than that. Personally I think he does not care anymore as the place is closing down but he would never speak to others like that.

Is what he did legal? I feel like I am being bullied to go to work even though I am sick.

What would you do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

dmos87 wrote: »
    Is what he did legal? I feel like I am being bullied to go to work even though I am sick.

What would you do?

You've told him you're not going in, so don't go in. Ignore his crap, and if he tries it in person when you do go back to work, just tell him to feck off.

This is more a work problem thing, so I've moved it into the sub-forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dmos87

I physically can't work tomorrow, my body is in bits and I can barely breathe. But he has me very upset about it, its probably heightened because I'm sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Try not to worry about it. You've done everything you need to do, as requested by the company (more even), so there's no need for his attitude. If you like, make a complaint to a higher manager when you do go back, about how he is failing to do his job.

One thing to remember though, does the company require a doctor's cert for sick leave? If it does, get one (should be no problem given you are actually sick), but if it doesn't, you might still consider it anyway. Nice to be able to have hard evidence if you want to take this to a higher manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

We all have to put up with assh*les from time to time at work. I would not let it worry you -you have done what is required of you. You should just reiterate what you have said to him and be professional yourself.

Best of luck and get well soon.

I'd have no problem going to my doc for a prescription but tomorrows Sunday. I might go to south doc just to be on the safe side, plus she might give me something to stop the coughing and wheeze.

In my last text I told him I will be showing the texts to the managing director on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

Tell him to go **** himself! Man management is his responsibility!

Next time he speaks to you make sure you tell him to watch his tone and have a bit of respect!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

To be honest, you're giving well enough notice. he must have some social life if he replied a little after 9 to say you're ruining it.
    You gave plenty of notice, let him deal with it, how would he like it if you gave him 1 hour before if this was to happen again(maybe not as you seem genuine & the company is closing)
    maybe he could care more about his job and boosting business than is social life..

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

dmos87 wrote: »
    I'd have no problem going to my doc for a prescription but tomorrows Sunday. I might go to south doc just to be on the safe side, plus she might give me something to stop the coughing and wheeze.

In my last text I told him I will be showing the texts to the managing director on Monday.

Don't feel pushing to go to the doctor for a doc note.. €50 just to prove to him? if you were coughing and raw in work I'm sure he noticed enough.

He doesn't work weekends but the rest of us do, so he hasn't seen me sick but plenty others heard it today and told me I looked like crap.

Ah don't get worried about it. I know the feeling of being genuinely being sick and not being able to go in because it puts more workload & pressure on the people I work with. but its a choice you made & its done, now just concentrate on getting better ;)

• Advertisement

Thanks Lenny for the advice. Id say im overthinking it in my head cos im sickvand not with it at the mo. I'm off to bed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

If you feel sick the next time say you have an interview for a job in Kerry or somwhere remote and have to go, considering you are being made redundant anyway.
    At the slightest hint of sickness play your "soon to be unemployed/ looking for alternative employment" card straight away.....

It should be no problem to come up with interviews and places to be rather than do any more work for Boss from hell than you absolutely need to....

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭skyline1515

Im shocked at the treatment you have received from your manager... as stated already, you only have to give an hours notice or first thing in the morning... in the company i work for the staff have to ring into the shop before 10am if they are unwell. As a manager it is my responsibility to find cover not that of the staff member... The fact that you rang your manager the evening before is to be praised... I wish more staff were like you... Best of luck on the job hunt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭chappy

Don't worry about it...would suggest in future you do not reply to messages like that so it cannot be said that you are inflamming the situation.

In fairness the guy may have been a bit drunk after watching the match and could be all apologises when you see him...

Well lads, a little update. I reported the text messages to the Managing Director the following Monday morning. He asked me to call into him the following day, and had been given a copy of all text messages sent and received.

He admitted that my manager was wrong to respond in such a manner but my manager refused to apologise for them. I am disgusted. We have not spoken since and as we work in two different locations it makes no difference. I asked him for a photocopy of the text messages and I informed him I will be passing the copy along to my solicitor. There are numerous other issues that I have tried to address over the last few months that have been ignored and I have been treated very badly by them.

Advertisement