Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did anyone go to there clubs

• 31-10-2010 5:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭

Just seen the thread there for clubs/socs did you join and was wondering did anyone especially the 1st years go to any clubs they joined. I havent joined the horse riding nobody rang me and dont know when its on. Joined the GAA football but same story and my foots given me hassle so thought better not put presure on it. That and Im flat out with course work

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Joined horseriding- Hear nothing
    Joined Kayaking (sp) - Heard nothing.
    Joined Mature students- nothing except one coffee meet in the canteen when most of us had lectures.

Joined Archery- Went and thought it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Smarmy

Just Mature Students, and like Irishchick said, there was just a coffee morning and I got a text about the comedian, Father Damo, cant remember his real name. That's about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭vinamax

YOU JOINED THE ARCHERY?????
    I'm chairperson of the SCA group at the college(we run the archery). New people from all years and non-students are always welcome!! If you like free* violence you'll love us : P

*If you're male and join for the fencing you will need your own rigid groin protection. That's a perfectly legal kill zone...

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭BlueNemo

Joined Anime/Gaming/Comp Soc

Fair cool ainme shows tbh, even if I have missed the last 2 weeks :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Joined the Anime/Gaming/Comp Soc as well. Anime is going pretty well i must say, but looks like the gaming society is going the same way as previous years unfortunately.
    BlueNemo wrote: »
    Joined Anime/Gaming/Comp Soc

Fair cool ainme shows tbh, even if I have missed the last 2 weeks :o
    Aha another fellow anime goer. Last week was pretty good, but the week before was a bit meh.

• Advertisement

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Joined the Anime/Gaming/Comp Soc as well. Anime is going pretty well i must say, but looks like the gaming society is going the same way as previous years unfortunately.

Damn, no gaming? I know at least 5 people who joined that club just for the gamer side of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Tell me of the Meh! was the week "before" the DBZ abridged? I've only been to the first screening, as an Alumni member, I don't find much time to get out of work on the Tuesday and make it to the screening, although I should be there this coming Tuesday.

Personally wanna see some Berserk, favorite anime, followed by GITS. What are ye hoping for next yourselves?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Might try pop up next Tuesday to it

BlueNemo wrote: »
    Damn, no gaming? I know at least 5 people who joined that club just for the gamer side of things.

If the gamers got up off their arses and organised something it might help. No offence lads, but if you want something to happen in AIT you're the ones who are going to have to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

Irishchick wrote: »
    Joined horseriding- Hear nothing
    Joined Kayaking (sp) - Heard nothing.
    Joined Mature students- nothing except one coffee meet in the canteen when most of us had lectures.

Joined Archery- Went and thought it was great.

Sounds like some of the clubs are a bit slack

• Advertisement

A lot of them are. It's hard to get people who will show up and are willing to organise things, let alone run the society.

Another problem is that any society needs a staff advisor, so getting lecturers onside can be tough too. I'm lucky we have the staff advisor that we do have, who pretty much runs the show at the college. I'm just chairperson for tax reasons really :P And I do the ex-college admin stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15 Peps

Hi guys.

If you're not aware already I'm the organiser for the anime society in AIT. Just a couple of notes:

1) Tuesday was picked because it seemed like the best night to get the maximum number of people turning up. Not to mention, didn't want it conflicting with any other groups. However, if the majority of members want it changed, feel free to suggest what day to change the events to. :)

2) Going to need to have a pool of anime to show for next semester. Feel free to give suggestions. If you're not already aware, there's always a vote on the Facebook page each week, usually from a selection of 3 different animes. Suggestions will be added to the pool and then will be up for vote at some point. Adding Berserk to the pool. ;)

3) Feel free to also suggest activities other than screenings. When I was at Eirtakon this year, I managed to speak to one of the directors of the anime society in DCU. They said they mainly just do screenings and nothing else. I'm honestly not sure what else can be done considering the lack of facilities. However, if you have any ideas, always open to hearing them.

Remember, it's your society as well. Whatever the members want, the members shall get. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭sherdydan

yea, seriously whats up with the gaming soc, i havent heard a single word on that front.

sherdydan wrote: »
    yea, seriously whats up with the gaming soc, i havent heard a single word on that front.

The main guy over the Gaming Soc hasn't been very well this year.
    It can also be tough to get all the gear needed for the public gaming gatherings in to the college at times. Hopefully some gaming evenings will get going, maybe in the new engineering block or somewhere like that.

We should set up a couple of consoles in an engineering room or even upstairs in the canteen some evenings and just sit around and play. Although i think Mister Me tends to work some evenings though.

Yeah, that also doesn't help.

We should set up a couple of consoles in an engineering room or even upstairs in the canteen some evenings and just sit around and play. Although i think Mister Me tends to work some evenings though.

Actually, that would be pretty damn cool. Bit like the fun we had upstairs in the canteen playing Guitar Hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭minion35

Getting permission from the college to do this is hard ... They throw up red, green and technicolour health and safety tape when we try organise things. Should be some games during rag week though :)

minion35 wrote: »
    Getting permission from the college to do this is hard ... They throw up red, green and technicolour health and safety tape when we try organise things. Should be some games during rag week though :)

i wonder could we have some form of tournament in scribes, gaming and heavy drinkin, sounds good!

if there was ever help needed id be more than happy to give a hand!

i wonder could we have some form of tournament in scribes, gaming and heavy drinkin, sounds good!

if there was ever help needed id be more than happy to give a hand!
    The gaming and heavy drinking part sounds good. To organise something in scribbles though could be a bit on the messy side, especially during rag week! Ditto.

• Advertisement

The MAIT* lads and lassies have organised gaming competitions in Scribes before as part of our Project Management classes. It is doable as long as you don't mess Andy around and organise it well, but the place will be jammed in RAG week so better pick a different time.

*Music and Instrument Tech.

Anything happening on the gaming front, would love to have something going on! we should set something up, if anyone wants to help give us a shout on this thread and we can see what we can come up with!

Anything happening on the gaming front, would love to have something going on! we should set something up, if anyone wants to help give us a shout on this thread and we can see what we can come up with!
    Not by the looks of it anyway. Mister Me the chairperson and master of ceremonies is pretty occupied at the moment with work placement and stuff and a lot of us are busy with final year projects and stuff. Not unless you want to organise something among your friends like a console gaming session or something.

The Cinema Soc started up this semester didn't it??

I heard something about it, but didn't join.

Seemed like a good idea though.

Anybody join? Think it's any good?

The film/cinema club have been showing some pretty good films this year (Reservoir Dogs, American Psycho...), but unfortunately their show times clash with fencing. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭wesf

anime society?! first i've heard of this, anyone got a link to the facebook page?

wesf wrote: »
    anime society?! first i've heard of this, anyone got a link to the facebook page?

Hey wesf!

http://www.facebook.com/aitanime

If you want, you can PM your name and mobile number, and I'll add you to the texting list. We have an event every Tuesday 6pm in Y103 in the Engineering building.

Hope you can make it! :)

definitely, pm on way!
    thats the annoying thing about the societies, i'm only hearing about them in dribs and drabs :D
    was there a stand at the societies sign up day?

wesf wrote: »
    definitely, pm on way!
    thats the annoying thing about the societies, i'm only hearing about them in dribs and drabs :D
    was there a stand at the societies sign up day?

Added!

Don't worry about it, that's how most people usually hear about these things. :D

There was a table. But unfortunately due to printer problems, only had a simple page that said Anime Society (still got around 30-40 signatures though). If I'm still around next year, I'll ensure that I get things sorted a couple of days before hand.

• Advertisement

i had a quick walk around in there but i didn't come across it!

Advertisement