Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy large tank?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

When you say large are you talking about 10 foot or 2 foot? Either way seahorse aqauriums in Ballymount will sort you out, though they mainly deal with freshwater and saltwater fish, I'm sure they can give you advice if you tell them what you need.

Sorry, hadn't clicked the link. This would have about the right volume, but may have more than you need with sump etc., also, it is not cheap. If you have the cash these guys can pretty much sort you out with whatever you want. Worth visiting anyway and having a chat with them. (Disclaimer: I don't work with or for them or anything, just spend too much money buying stuff for my fishtank from them)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Nasri2010

F-Stop wrote: »
    When you say large are you talking about 10 foot or 2 foot? Either way seahorse aqauriums in Ballymount will sort you out, though they mainly deal with freshwater and saltwater fish, I'm sure they can give you advice if you tell them what you need.

These guys are really good, but if you head out to dun laoghaire, there is a shop there called Fintastic Aquatics, last time I was in they were telling me about a new tank for J&k. Its a 450 Litre tank, perfect for a large turtle. Its really good quality and is very cheap even with a stand. It comes with or without filter heater lighting unit etc. The jewel option is nearly double the price.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

what's a j&k tank?

Any links/specs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Nasri2010

godtabh wrote: »
    what's a j&k tank?

Any links/specs?

J&K is an english wholesaler, they make a lot of their own products. I will try and get some specs for you. Its 5' I think. I saw the tank also in a pet shop in Wicklow, looks great

• Advertisement

Good to know Nasri2010. The guys in Fintastic are very good. What sort of price is the 450 litre? I'm guessing it's designed for freshwater (as in no sump)? Juwel tanks are OK for freshwater, not great for Marine, so I guess they would do the job for housing a turtle. They look nice but are expensive for what you get, and the internal filter isn't up to much, and all the juwel heaters I've had have failed, also the first one I bought leaked, also their light units tend to fail after a while (though they do have a two year warranty). It wouldn't take much to have as good/better quality at a lower price. Must take a look at these J&K tanks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd be thinking if your res is 10 inches long that a 5 foot tank is going to be very cramped for him, especially if he's used to an outdoor pond. There's another option to the glass tank if you have the space. One of those preformed GRP outdoor pond liners that you can get in many garden centers.
    ozpond1000.gif

http://www.ratoathgardencentre.ie/3pondequipment.html the type on the bottom left.

If you're anyway handy you can build a wooden frame to support it and since you won't be filling it completely support isnt that much an issue. make up a basking platform from rocks and put a heat lamp over it. It would work out a lot cheaper than any equivalent volume glass tank and be more "natural". Easier to clean out too. Run an external filter into it. Again if you're handy you can drill the bottom and make it the input to the filter(and handy for draining. If my turtles get anyway bigger that's what I'm gonna do anyway.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement