Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

squeaky sleigh bed

• 31-10-2010 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

hi, i'm not sure if this is in the right section.

we got a mahogany sleigh bed as a wedding present a few years ago. it, and the mattress were very expensive. the problem is, the frame and latts squeak desperately. it is driving me nuts especially because i'm heavily pregnant and moving in the bed is difficult.

i'm wondering if there is anything i could do. looking back, i think its been like this ages, its only the last few months ive noticed it.

would really appreciate any advice
    many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

hi, i'm not sure if this is in the right section.

we got a mahogany sleigh bed as a wedding present a few years ago. it, and the mattress were very expensive. the problem is, the frame and latts squeak desperately. it is driving me nuts especially because i'm heavily pregnant and moving in the bed is difficult.

i'm wondering if there is anything i could do. looking back, i think its been like this ages, its only the last few months ive noticed it.

would really appreciate any advice
    many thanks

Modern beds are designed to be assembled on site (ie: at your house) due the difficulty of moving something the size of a bed about were in constructed as one piece.

In order to be squeak free, all the bits that were bolted together need to be firmly bolted together in order to prevent movement. It's movement between firmly (but not firmly enough) clamped together bits that gives the squeak.

The very first thing to check then is that all the bits are fully tightened up. This means removing the mattress and checking every bolt/nut that it is tight-tight.

You say the lats are squeaking. These might be bolted down (but not tightly enough). Or they may be simply laid down in place. In either case, disassembling and rubbing some candle wax on;

a) the portion of the bed frame in which the lat ends rest, and

b) on the end bit of the lat which contacts the bed frame

... will lubricate the wood/plastic and prevent the squeaking when the bits move against each other (as they surely will).

Generally speaking, when it comes to any self-assemble furniture, I tend towards gluing it all together as I assemble due to the tendency for bolt-together furniture to loosen up in time. That might be your last resort if tightening things won't help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Go away and be honest... you dont want the kids to hear you.... Dont worry we all have been or will be there....

I only solved this problem recently... The buffers that stick to the bottons of chairs you know the fibre ones can be put under the lats on the bed.

For the side of the lats with narrow gaps use bicycle patches... the rubber insulates.

Dont use any greese or oil. It causes the wood to expand and actually increases the rubbing....

:rolleyes: I have been there...

Advertisement