Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adoption tree: which model to use?

Options
  • 31-10-2010 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

A number of our members do not like the model where the birth/biological family is the roots, and the adoptive family and future life are the branches.

What is you take on the best model for an adoption tree that respect the origins of the child (biological and birth parents included)?

Do you have a issue considering these people as part of the child's "family"?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

what tree ar u talking about ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Pink Adoptions

kathy finn wrote: »
    what tree ar u talking about ?

The adoption tree is one of the tools that are needed when preparing for adoption:
    http://irishpinkadoptions.com/adoption-process/the-tools-you-will-need/family-tree/

Here is a discussion by one of our members on it:
    http://irishpinkadoptions.com/2010/10/31/the-adoption-tree-the-three-roots-model/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

I think it is an awful way of glossing over the diversity of adoption experiences - as you will see from a recent discussion on a previous thread. Adoption can never be reduced to a simple model.

I will also have to take issue with the 'extreme religious orders' implication on the website you linked to - if not for the Mormons, genealogical work in this country would be much more difficult. Any census fiche I pick up in the national archives has the salt lake city stamp on it - a project our government seemed content to ignore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Pink Adoptions

efla wrote: »
    I think it is an awful way of glossing over the diversity of adoption experiences - as you will see from a recent discussion on a previous thread. Adoption can never be reduced to a simple model.
    [...]

That was the point of the article: the model suggested to us is too simple and does not value the diversity of experiences.
    Andat some stage or another, when you have to lay down on paper a family tree, you need somesort of model. otherwise you never start writing or drawing anything at all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'm adopted, and find the whole notion of a 'tree' incomprehensible- and akin to a form of psychobabble.

I'm well familiar with the theory of the 'triangle' and how each point of the triangle represents birthparents, the adoptive parents and the adopted person themselves. Even this I consider psychobabble.

Everyone is unique as a person- why do folk try to pigeonhole people into whatever the current model of the month might be? If some people find it comforting to look at adoption akin to a tree- let them, and let them apply whatever monikers they choose to the different tree parts, it really doesn't bother me one iota. Just don't try to enroll other people into what seems like some sort of psychology experiment to me- if they are happy to have the same point of view, fine. If they disagree with the happy picture of a tree with its trunk, its branches and its leaves- thats fine too. Different things have different meanings for different folk- the world would be a very boring place if they didn't.

• Advertisement
Advertisement