Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how much would you walk 2 cocker spaniels?

Options
  • 31-10-2010 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

hwllo there

well I have 2 cocker spaniels, quiet enough inside but once we go for walks they are WILD. I walk them teice a day at weekends, half an hour in the morning and at least 1 hour late in the afternoom.

During the week, it's only one a day in the evening 30 minutes if the weather is dreadful, up to one hour if it doesn't rain.

my question is: do you think this is enough ?? I'm sure at weekend 2 walks a day is fine but what about during the week?

when the weather is really bad the walk is quiet short (30 minutes) but they do have AT LEAST ONE WALK EVERY SINGLE DAY.

The odd time when it doesnt rain I'g go in the morning before work just for 15-20 minutes but dont know if I'll be able to that during thr winter.

any advice really appreciated, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

How old are they? My GR is 15 months and gets 60-75 mins a day rain or shine - he has sore legs thou so I can't excercise him too much. Practicing training with them - eg different commands will use up loads of energy too btw if you can't get them out for a walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

CS need about an hour twice a day at least. My fella got a half hour in the morning and a long 5 mile walk in the evening, and swimming. They are a hunting dog so they are built for endurance, meaning a lot of walking for owners :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Lizard Queen

i think they would benefit from agility or flyball or something mental stimulation as well as physical that would really wipe them out for the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

I have one Working Cocker and he run all day if the opportunity arose. I don't think I have ever witnessed him tired and not willing to go some more (and myself and the OH - along with the other dogs - would be knackered from being out all day... but he would be ready for more!). It sounds like you are doing the best you can wrt walking them, more is obviously better when it comes to the active breeds but in reality you can't spend every hour of every day walking your dogs.

As "Lizard Queen" already said, mental stimulation tires them out and may be a good idea for your two. There are lots of classes around the country and training them at home can easily be done once you get the grounding. Games than involve mental work are also great - even teaching them new commands will work.

Just a quick note - because you said they are "quiet enough inside" I'm assuming this isn't a problem - what are they fed? Hyperactivity and food go hand in hand so looking at what they are eating may be a good idea if they are manic with energy. Certain foods will have my guy bouncing off the walls while he does much better on others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

Falabo if I remember correctly you got your cockers around the same time I got my one and they are still puppies so you should still be on the 5mins walk per month of age to prevent damage to joints in later life.

Aslo check out the protein content of their food. My pup was on 27% when she was younger and doing most of her growing. I have changed that in the last month to 20% and it does make a difference to hyperactivity levels! My little one is now 9mths which is similar age to yours i think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement