Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to trust a traveller ?

• 31-10-2010 12:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

I would like to start by saying this isn't meant to be a racist post.

For the last few months I have had some DIY waste on my front lawn, such as kitchen cupboards, a bag of broken floor tiles etc.

Now every week and often more, I have travellers dropping by saying that they will remove all my waste for x amount, until now I have always said no, as I intended to get rid of it by taking the wood to the dump and the tiles to be burried in the garden to make a grounding to extend the drive.

But a few days ago I was tempted to get a traveller to remove my junk, but didnt as I wasnt 100% sure where it would go. They all said the samething, the junk goes on the back of a flat bed and then over the dump. But I would hate to thing I was driving down a local road only to see my kitchen cupboards at the side of the road.

My insinct is to sort it myself, but I would like to know in general are these guys who offer to get rid of my stuff going to take it to the dump ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Bring it yourself to the dump. If you're based in Dublin theres a great facility at Ballymount in South Dublin that recycles most of the stuff you mentioned there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Traveller or not, don't trust anyone with your rubbish unless they have a waste permit.

If it was dumped illegally and they could trace it back to you, you could be held liable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Of course the'll recycle it,as they all have waste permits which they will produce when asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭wobzilla1

Smoggy wrote: »

Traveller's aren't a race, no matter how much pavee point wants them to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

I knew they werent a race, but I didn't know what the correct term was. What is the correct term ?

Next time I will ask for a recycling permit and see where I get. This time I will babyskip it and save myself the worry.

• Advertisement

aujopimur wrote: »
    Of course the'll recycle it,as they all have waste permits which they will produce when asked.

aujopimur - have you ever asked for this waste permit ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

methinks there was a hint of sarchasm in the post about them all having permits

No permit, no sale - simple really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

The law was changed recently as far as i know that you must insure your rubbish is colllected by a registered collector meaning if documentation is false it falls back on you..

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cedan

I knew they werent a race, but I didn't know what the correct term was. What is the correct term ?

Next time I will ask for a recycling permit and see where I get. This time I will babyskip it and save myself the worry.

They are a community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

They are an infestation.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

when there lying under a headstone!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭aido 1976

If you allow them to take your rubbish, go to the nearest lane way 30 mins after they leave. You will find thats where your rubbish will be located, not the local recycling centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭proon4

Are you serious??? your joking right???.... A travelller you could trust???
    They are the bigest leeches this country has. None of them have put anything good back into the country.. They take take take. Go and hire a skip or get someone you know with a van to get rid of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

For the last few months I have had some DIY waste on my front lawn, such as kitchen cupboards, a bag of broken floor tiles etc.

Any scrap boss?

If you give them the waste it will be dumped in the nearest laneway.

At best the council so ratepayers will pay for the clean up or at worst for you, you'll find yourself in the District Court

Ask for the permit, they won't have one.
    Them march them off your land

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

When dead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

AFAIK - Ethnic minority is the politically correct term, but I'm with post #11

It didnt take too long for the thread to become community-ist :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Nice to see that raceism is alive and kicking in the Ireland of today.

Im shocked by how this thread is turning out and where its going.

Shame on all of you.

There are LOTS of people,who are not from the traveling community out there ,operating without a waste dissposal licence.

But all I see and read here is aimed at singling out,mocking and slating the traveling community.This is fair and acceptable then???:mad:

Mods/Admin,maybe lock this thread up,as its rather pointless and also very inflamatory too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Not possible to be racist on this thread

I agree with Post 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

Now every week and often more, I have travellers dropping by saying that they will remove all my waste for x amount, until now I have always said no, as I intended to get rid of it by taking the wood to the dump and the tiles to be burried in the garden to make a grounding to extend the drive.

But a few days ago I was tempted to get a traveller to remove my junk, but didnt as I wasnt 100% sure where it would go. They all said the samething, the junk goes on the back of a flat bed and then over the dump. But I would hate to thing I was driving down a local road only to see my kitchen cupboards at the side of the road.

My insinct is to sort it myself, but I would like to know in general are these guys who offer to get rid of my stuff going to take it to the dump ?
    ALWAYS TRUST TRAVELLERS.KNOWN FOR THEIR HONEST HARD GRAFT.EXCELLENT PEOPLE.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Time to finish this I think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement