Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to oz

Options
  • 31-10-2010 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

hi all new to the forum just have a question with moving to oz im 29 married and have one child was thinking of moving to oz,going on a WHV myself and then when i get a job try and get sponsorship for my wife and child to come over just wondering has anyone tried this and if it would work

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Cipher

Hi paudster501, as far as i know you won't be entitled to go on a WHV because you have a dependant child.

You would need to consider a skill visa etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 paudster501

yeah i was on the phone to visa first and they said i can go alright on that visa so long as my dependants stayed in ireland they said thier was some loophole that i could get an employer to sponsor my family to come over but i would have to stay with that employer for a while

i have spoken to a few friends over their and they all said that sponsorship is tough but with a bit of luck along the way you can get it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

i have spoken to a few friends over their and they all said that sponsorship is tough but with a bit of luck along the way you can get it

Tough is not the same as certainty.

If you are looking sponsorship you would be safer trying to do it from Ireland, if you were single yeah on WHV and bit of luck you might get sponsored no harm done if dont...but can you afford to spend 1 or 2 years looking for a job that sponsors?

Most employers would be expecting you to work 5 or 6 months before they would consider sponsoring, then there is a good chance they say no and you have to start all over again.

What do you do anyway?

i drive a truck for a living and ive already been offered a job over in sydney driving for a company owned by an irishman

• Advertisement

Well sounds like your in luck then, did he say he was going sponsor you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

This is the list of occupation that you can get sponsored for. I don't think truck drivers are on it:
    http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/legislation/LegislativeInstrument1.nsf/0/975751D41E27FC88CA25774A0013EC8A/$file/10032LI.pdf

You should get in contact with another migration agent. Visa first haven't a clue!

Here is the list in PDF

thanks for the help lads,do ye know any other migration agents that i could contact,just had a look at that list and no sign of a truck driver on it:confused:looks like im going to have to do something different that will get us sponsorship

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

Cipher wrote: »
    Hi paudster501, as far as i know you won't be entitled to go on a WHV because you have a dependant child.
    that was the case up until last year. Now, you can get the WHV if you have a dependent who is not traveling with you. i.e, you can go to Aus, just by yourself. And even then it's tricky, because they're very much for protecting the children. You'd have to write a declaration as to the reasons.. can only apply in paper, etc. see here

I hate to say this to anybody, but I think you'd be better off with a bit more research before getting your hopes up too much OP. Aus isn't just as easy to get up and go to as many people make it out to be, especially if the skills you have aren't in demand! They change immigration rules regularly depending on the national mood and election time. Try to broaden what you do know across different industries then search within those. Could you drive trucks for mining? maybe look at more regional areas where there's less competition, that kinda thing. Everything you need to know can be found on the immigration website, www.immi.gov.au, though sometimes it needs to be read 5 times to understand it :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Number 5

You could try contacting greenbergaustralia.com These are migration experts and also have an office in Ireland (Kildare as far as I know)

They will be able to advise you on the best possible options available to you.

Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

yeah i was on the phone to visa first and they said i can go alright on that visa so long as my dependants stayed in ireland they said thier was some loophole that i could get an employer to sponsor my family to come over but i would have to stay with that employer for a while
    I should've added in my last post..

be very.. cautious, of migration agents, migration consultants, or any company who claims to have a "sponsored Labour Agreement" with the dept. of immigration. They're only out for your money at the end of the day. Nothing with them is guaranteed. They're not all bad though, just be cautious of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

hi paudster.
    just a thing about those immigration agents, after asking more or less the same questions as you have i have decided to apply for the visa myself. iam still in the early stages but from what i gather its not rocket science and at the moment it seems fairly easy, there is a bit of research needed and fishing up old documents but all this would have to be done anyway even with an immigration agent.

but it ain't cheap iam on the verge of paying my first instalement of $2575AUS:eek:, then there is medical check ups and another instalement at a later stage of $3575AUS:eek: for every one on the application over 16yrs of age. and undoubtly another heap of hidden costs along the way

sponge_bob wrote: »
    and another instalement at a later stage of $3575AUS:eek: for every one on the application over 16yrs of age

That second stage payment is only for dependents that do not have adequate English. If your partner is Irish then you only pay the 1st instalment of $2575.

Like you say it ain't rocket science but it pays to read the website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭clarelad

hi paudster.
    just a thing about those immigration agents, after asking more or less the same questions as you have i have decided to apply for the visa myself. iam still in the early stages but from what i gather its not rocket science and at the moment it seems fairly easy, there is a bit of research needed and fishing up old documents but all this would have to be done anyway even with an immigration agent.

but it ain't cheap iam on the verge of paying my first instalement of $2575AUS:eek:, then there is medical check ups and another instalement at a later stage of $3575AUS:eek: for every one on the application over 16yrs of age. and undoubtly another heap of hidden costs along the way

is this still the WHV visa you are talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

mandrake04 wrote: »
    That second stage payment is only for dependents that do not have adequate English. If your partner is Irish then you only pay the 1st instalment of $2575.

Like you say it ain't rocket science but it pays to read the website.

jesus thats great, just checked it again.
    i had it picked up that you paid it if your application was successfull

jesus thats great, just checked it again.
    i had it picked up that you paid it if your application was successfull

nah the VAC of $2575 covers the Primary & all the Secondary on the one application.

clarelad wrote: »
    is this still the WHV visa you are talking about?

No WHV is only about $235 he is on about Permanent Residence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 alx73

i drive a truck for a living and ive already been offered a job over in sydney driving for a company owned by an irishman

hi saw your a truckie too and just wondering how did you find that job? have an aunt living in oz but seems that the 457 visa is the quickest route into oz and am finding it hard to find a company that would sponser me at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

I didn't see Truck Driver on the skills list.
    OP, how are you submitting an application for an occupation not on the list?
    As far as I know they don't refund the fee if your application gets turned down..

• Advertisement
Advertisement