Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying Religion at home for 8th subject?.

• 31-10-2010 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi guys, I am hoping some of ye can help me with this problem i'm having. I am in 5th year (not leaving cert.) and am studying the following subjects
    Irish, English, Maths, French. Music, Geography, Business, LCVP
    I am taking Maths and Irish at OL and the rest at HL.
    Basically I want to do the Music Education course in Trinity (Music & History Teaching). Points in 2010 were 480 up 15 from the year previous.
    I am looking to get these points, but with 5 HL subjects it seems unlikely.
    This is where Religion comes into the equation. I studied it for Junior Cert. and achieved an A in Honours.. I am just wondering would it be possible to study it for LC by yourself and achieve a B?. I don't know if it helps but I have quite a high standard of written english (possibly not computers though so excuse me for grammatical errors).

So if anyone can help me who may have taken this subject for Leaving Cert. or know where I can find good notes ect for the subject!. Thanks :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Definitely would advise you against it. JC Religion is nothing whatsoever like LC Religion.

Take a look at the Religion exam papers and see for yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

Leaving Cert Religion involves a project which needs to be supervised by a religion teacher so you would need to organise this.

Trinity College have a matriculation exam in just two subjects. Geology and Biblical Studies. If you did Biblical Studies you wouldn't have the problem of getting a teacher to supervise your project. The exam is held in April and you get the same points as for a LC higher subject >>>> http://www.tcd.ie/Admissions/undergraduate/assets/pdfs/Matric%20Syllabus.pdf

Some people do economics as an extra subject because it is seen as a short course, although it can be a little mathsy with the graphs so if maths is not your strong point, it could be difficult on your own.

You are good at english and have an interest in history so how about classical studies? There is a lot of reading in it so it will take time but the exam from 2011 is being reduced from do 8 questions to do 6. There are no projects with economics or classical studies (or the TCD exam).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Hi guys, I am hoping some of ye can help me with this problem i'm having. I am in 5th year (not leaving cert.) and am studying the following subjects (no colon?)
    Irish, English, Maths, French, Music, Geography, Business, LCVP
    I am taking Maths and Irish at OL and the rest at HL.
    Basically I want to do the Music Education course in Trinity (Music & History Teaching). Points in 2010 were 480(semi-colon) up 15 from the year previous.
    I am looking to get these points, but with 5 HL subjects it seems unlikely.
    This is where Religion comes into the equation. I studied it for Junior Cert. and achieved an A in Honours.. I am just wondering would it be possible to study it for LC by yourself and achieve a B?. I don't know if it helps but I have quite a high standard of written english (possibly not computers though so excuse me for grammatical errors).

So if anyone can help me who may have taken this subject for Leaving Cert. or know where I can find good notes ect for the subject!. Thanks :D

Orly? :rolleyes:
    Capitalise
    Should be a colon
    Replace the comma with 'and'
    Wrong context
    At
    Should be a semi-colon
    Capital 'e'
    So if anyone who has taken this subject for Leaving Cert. or who knows where I can find good notes can help me
    It's 'etc.'

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jockee

What about Applied Maths as an extra subject?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

Don't do religion for leaving cert ,horrible subject.
    Really you should try do higher level maths, it's a dumbed down course for 5th year's and you get bonus points .
    480 points is an unrealistic target being honest!
    570 is you're max and as you are someone who is already doing 2 pass subjects and lcvp at 5th year,do you honestly believe you will get 5 A2's in you're other higher level subjects????????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

First off, don't do religion, it's awful unless you have a good teacher.
    Orly? :rolleyes:
    Capitalise
    Should be a colon
    Replace the comma with 'and'
    Wrong context
    At
    Should be a semi-colon
    Capital 'e'
    So if anyone who has taken this subject for Leaving Cert. or who knows where I can find good notes can help me
    It's 'etc.'

No

That was just rude, I'd suggest against doing it again :)

DaveMur1 wrote: »
    Don't do religion for leaving cert ,horrible subject.
    Really you should try do higher level maths, it's a dumbed down course for 5th year's and you get bonus points .
    480 points is an unrealistic target being honest!
    570 is you're max and as you are someone who is already doing 2 pass subjects and lcvp at 5th year,do you honestly believe you will get 5 A2's in you're other higher level subjects????????

You dont know the OP, dont try and predict their ability please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Several off-topic posts deleted.

Address the topic or don't post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭DavidKelly1

Ha! I don't care about grammatical errors to be honest. Coeurdepirate take your head from your as* and f*** off this thread, no-one asked you for your opinion. I don't really care about errors in spelling, etc right now I just want someone to answer the question I asked.

And DaveMur1 yes I do believe it is possible to achieve these grades. And coeurdepirate I didn't suggest I covered half the course get your facts straight. Your simply picking at straws. I'd suggest you should have a good cry for yourself and try to make some friends you lonely little he-she

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Ha! I don't care about grammatical errors to be honest. Coeurdepirate take your head from your as* and f*** off this thread, no-one asked you for your opinion. I don't really care about errors in spelling, etc right now I just want someone to answer the question I asked.

And DaveMur1 yes I do believe it is possible to achieve these grades. And coeurdepirate I didn't suggest I covered half the course get your facts straight. Your simply picking at straws. I'd suggest you should have a good cry for yourself and try to make some friends you lonely little he-she
    David, try reading the Boards FAQs and the LC forum charter.

Even allowing for an element of provocation, there is no excuse whatsoever for that kind of abuse.

Infracted / one week ban.

Thread closed as OP no longer has access.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement