Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exterior Door

• 31-10-2010 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

Recently made exterior ledged and braced door for garage made up with pine t and g floorboards 5inch by 20mm door was hanging fine until it rained recently and it swelled it now wont close I know you could plane it but then it'l shrink in drier weather and there will be too big of gap any advice on what to do in short term or long term to get door shuting as it's not going to shrink in current climate for the next few months. Door was treated with wood stain(Ronseal Exterior and Interior)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭rs8

any ideas anyone???

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭rs8

Still not sure at what to do, last time ill post this message cheers anyone in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭metalgear2k2

You made it with pine, like nordic pine? As far as I know thats just a nightmare for shrinking and swelling, drys out a lot during the summer causing big gaps, then swells in the winter making it very difficult open/close.
    you could try to plane it back and get it fitting correctly then sand and varnish the bejasus out of it! still not sure if that will stop it swelling but it might help.

Might be better to rip it out and use a better wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

I don't have a clue about how to stop it warping other than making sure the top and bottom are well primed and sealed.

Other than that - I use a flat spade to get my side gate closed in winter.

Advertisement