Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Think my beloved dog has cancer

• 31-10-2010 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Found three small lumps on my dogs stomach, I'm thinking it's mammary cancer only seen them last night so haven't had a chance to bring her to a vet, i will be bringing her first thing tomorrow morning but has the same thing happened anybody on here and what was the outcome or any help appreciated. So upset since Iv seen it. She's a six year old she doesn't seem Any different she's always been a lazy cuddly dog

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Oh no, its awful to find something like that, if they're small there's a very good chance she'll be fine. Just get her to the vet as soon as you can.
    My in laws had a bitch that developed lumps like this, but they turned out to be harmless cysts, more often they are cancer, but it is treatable with surgery.
    Best of luck, hope she's ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Fingers crossed for you. My childhood dog had some lumps and despite my worries they turned out to be fatty lumps. Hope it's the same for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Is she spayed? If so, from what age?

Fatty lumps and cysts are really common in dogs, they appear everywhere and are easily removed. Your vet will probably recommend removal regardless of what they think it is. Finger crossed and please keep us updated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

OP don't panic until you know for sure - I know it's easily said - but try to look at the brightside until you know.

If it does turn out to be cancer - the fact they are small means you likely caught it early. Chances are good.

A friend was given the news that her bitch had cancer and would not survive (well given very low chances). She's perfectly fine now.

Good luck op - please let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭talkin

Is she spayed? If so, from what age?

Fatty lumps and cysts are really common in dogs, they appear everywhere and are easily removed. Your vet will probably recommend removal regardless of what they think it is. Finger crossed and please keep us updated.
    no i never spayed her which is a major regret for me now, it wasnt a selfish "im not paying for her to get spayed" decision. i know it was a mistake she's not jst a dog to me shes literaly part of the family :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,955 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

You don't say what breed she is OP but 6 is relatively young for most breeds. Lumps and bumps can arise from all sorts of issues including hotspots and cysts from food intollerances. It is most likely the vet will keep her in for a while for a biopsy, and you will have to wait a while for the results to come back. Even if it does come to the worst there is every chance it has been found early enough and can be removed. I would also recommend asking your vet about having her spayed as it is never too late.

You don't say what breed she is OP but 6 is relatively young for most breeds. Lumps and bumps can arise from all sorts of issues including hotspots and cysts from food intollerances. It is most likely the vet will keep her in for a while for a biopsy, and you will have to wait a while for the results to come back. Even if it does come to the worst there is every chance it has been found early enough and can be removed. I would also recommend asking your vet about having her spayed as it is never too late.
    she's a cavalier cross, we found three small lumps last night and even today one of them has gotten slightly bigger(and i dont think its my imagination that it got bigger) i cant help but think the worst. my heart sunk when my partner asked me what they are. i hope its not cancer but my thinking is it is. there three small pebble shaped lumps.hopefully il know tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,955 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Hi talkin. My dog, Toto, developed mammary cancer. The first lump she got was actually on her nipple - just behind it. It was operated on and she was fine. Then she got a second one and that was removed, then a third and that was removed and she bounced back every time. Finally, she got one that would have cut off the circulation to her leg. By that time she was 18.5 years, totally deaf and almost blind. She could not go through any more surgery - it would not have been fair to her - she we made the horrible decision that pet lovers dread and she went to Rainbow Bridge.
    However, the point I wish to get accross to you is that mammary cancer is not an immediate death sentence. Your girl can go on for years and years with treatment and treatment is getting better and better all the time. Talk to your vet - when they know how deeply worried you are they will tell you everything you need to know and you will find that you feel better when you know that something can and is being done.
    I know how you are feeling and am sending a big reassuring hug to you. Please let us know how she is and she will be in my thoughts and prayers.:)

Shazanne wrote: »
    Hi talkin. My dog, Toto, developed mammary cancer. The first lump she got was actually on her nipple - just behind it. It was operated on and she was fine. Then she got a second one and that was removed, then a third and that was removed and she bounced back every time. Finally, she got one that would have cut off the circulation to her leg. By that time she was 18.5 years, totally deaf and almost blind. She could not go through any more surgery - it would not have been fair to her - she we made the horrible decision that pet lovers dread and she went to Rainbow Bridge.
    However, the point I wish to get accross to you is that mammary cancer is not an immediate death sentence. Your girl can go on for years and years with treatment and treatment is getting better and better all the time. Talk to your vet - when they know how deeply worried you are they will tell you everything you need to know and you will find that you feel better when you know that something can and is being done.
    I know how you are feeling and am sending a big reassuring hug to you. Please let us know how she is and she will be in my thoughts and prayers.:)
    thank you so much for your comment. it really made me feel better that yur dog lived on to such a great age! iv made an appointment for 4.30 today it was the earliest she could get me in.. il let ye know how it goes, im gonna stop thinking the worst now n just start thinking its something minor!

• Advertisement

and thanks everybody for ye'r kind replys!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Best of luck OP to you and your dog!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

kylith wrote: »
    Fingers crossed for you. My childhood dog had some lumps and despite my worries they turned out to be fatty lumps. Hope it's the same for you.

+1, our dog years ago had lumps which turned out to be nothing. Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Best of luck with the appointment today OP!!

Best of luck op.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

talkin wrote: »
    Found three small lumps on my dogs stomach, I'm thinking it's mammary cancer only seen them last night so haven't had a chance to bring her to a vet, i will be bringing her first thing tomorrow morning but has the same thing happened anybody on here and what was the outcome or any help appreciated. So upset since Iv seen it. She's a six year old she doesn't seem Any different she's always been a lazy cuddly dog

Hope you and your dog are ok xxxx,My mam found 2 lumps on her 5 year old CKC,went to vet he said mammary tumours.She got them removed and she is fine now.Keep us posted whatever the outcome.Fingers and paws crossed here xx

ok we're bck from the vet the crater was so excited about the new surroundings but once we got into the room she was trembling and wanted to stay in my arms. he felt the three we found and he seems to think theres one further dwn near her back legs but i thought it was just a new tit but he thinks theres something underneath, hes not sure what they are till he removes them she'd to get spayed as well because he said if she didnt she'd be due a serious infection if she didnt. so he's going to make an incision to spay her but if the lumps have spread to where the incision line is he'l just remove the lumps and spay her another time but if hes able to spay her he'l do and and if its not too much for her he'll go over to that side and remove them too. theres no way of telling if there serious or not or iff its spread till there out. thanks for all the positive comments they'v made me feel way more positive about the situation. after hearing what he'd to say i cant lie im worried again, hopefully il know more wednesday. but really thanks so much for all ye're kind comments

Shazanne wrote: »
    the vet said today that there was a type of tumor that just keeps coming back once it happens, like Toto had that just keeps popping up no matter how many times u remove it but he wont know anything untill wednesday. 18.5 is a fair age for any dog and your story stuck in my mind even when he said that they could keep coming back. so thank you for your comment

Talkin - you've done all you can now and are getting her the help she needs.

I hope you get good news on wednesday.

Hi talkin. I'm glad my precious little Toto gave you strength. She was the sweetest little girl in the world - well in my world anyway. I know how worried you must be but do take heart. You little one is in the best hands and even if your worst fears are confirmed she will bounce back after surgery. She is in my prayers and so are you. Please let me know if there is anything I can do or tell you that might help. X

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

Hi talkin,

any update ?? best of luck !

Hi talkin. I am keeping a watch on here for news from you. I hope all is going well? X

Hi again. I don't want to be a nuisance but am concerned that we haven't heard from you. I really hope that everything went well on you trip to the vet on Wednesday. As I said above, I keep checking here to see if there is any update and, while I realise there could be many reasons why you have not posted, I am still rather worried. Please let us know how things are going - we're all friends and animal lovers here:)

sorry for delay in reply, she's at home again :) she got spayed and he managed to remove the lumps too. she was very groggy wed and yesterday but today shes started to turn into her happy go lucky self again :D she is sore and shes defo playing the sympathy card i think well i cant blame her as my OH says. they've sent off the lumps for testing, but hopefully there nothing serious and they dont come back. they said they'd call me when there back. could take a week or two. and thanks for ye'r concern and thoughts x

Good to hear from you talkin' - my over active imagination was playing all sorts of tricks on me! I'm so happy to hear that she is coming back to her usual self - what's her name by the way? Dont worry about those results - I'm sure you have no need for concern. Take good care:)

i never thought this could happen but shes started showing signs of phantom pregnancy nesting and awake all night looking and whining i got up to let her out to wee n she found a cuddly toy in the sitting room was wagging her tail happily didnt seem in distress anymore brought the toy with her put it in her belly area started licking the teddy and relaxed. i thought this would never happen now that shes spayed. even today she'l be relaxing and than suddenly get up crying and searching around the back of the couch or under beds or tables, than she'l start digging at the ground indoors. did anybody else find this happening after spaying there pet?

Hi talkin. You are really having a strange time of it lately:) I am not a dog expert by a long shot but have had animals all my life. It sounds to me as though it not the spaying that's causing that problem. You mentioned that the lumps she had were on or near her nipples I think, and that they have been removed. Is it possible this has interfered with her hormones? Or is it possible that the experience at the vets has made her a little unsettled and that she is just seeking comfort? I will be very interested to hear what the experts say on this.
    Dogs can be so strange at times! Toto, the dog I told you about earlier, had a litter of pups many years ago and was officially diagnosed with post natal depression afterwards! I could not believe it! But her behaviour at the time was so strange. She rejected the puppies at weaning time and would dig a hole in the ground and vomit into it and then cover it up to prevent them getting it (sorry to be so descriptive!) and she would freak out if we showed affection to the pups. She got really thin and completely lost her sparkle. Veterinary hospital wanted to put her on Prozac but I was not overly keen on that so little by little I nursed her back to normal and she eventually began so show interest in the pups after a number of months. I had kept two of the six puppies she had given birth to. Sadly, she never really took to her daughter and a very agressive situation arose and they simply could not live together. I tried re-homing the pups but it did not work out and I even tried putting Toto into foster care for a while but she pined for home. So eventually, and to cut a long and very painful story short, I had to have the two pups put to sleep, which nearly killed me, but it made her happy and gave her another lease of life. As I told you, she went on to live until she was 18 and a half and never suffered a return of the depression. I lost her in April 2005 and I think of her every single day. She was like a baby to me:(

So I'm back again. She had a happy. And healthy two years since the last time. Unfortunately found another lump last night. Brought her to the vet today. She has to get her mammary gland removed and the lump I found removed. I know it's been a long time since I updated. I didn't even notice the part that the vet says is cancer. Proves the importance of checking dogs. Only for the other lump I found which I must admit is biggish I never would have known of the cancer mass the vet found.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Goodness OP, I was wondering who on earth had resurrected this old thread, thinking that old memories would cause the OP upset, and then I realised it's the OP posting to update!
    Well, what a fighter your dog is, still on the go! I hope all goes well with her operation now.. do you know when it'll be?

• Advertisement

The ops tomorrow. I'm sure she'll be fine :confused: ahh no she well. Ill keep ye posted. N sorry for dragging back up old thread. Seemed only right I updated after this. Can't stress now how pro spaying I am. If I'd only done it at her sixth month mark I'm almost sure this would never have happened.

Advertisement