Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation in UCD !!!

Options
  • 31-10-2010 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi, I'm currently in 6th yr and I am hoping to go to UCD next year to study radiography ... I'm just wondering what the best on campus accommodation is and if there is anything else i should be aware of ? Thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭AkiThePirate

There are four residences on campus.

Belgrove(Where I live) is the cheapest, and that's all it has going for it(Unless you're studying arts, in which case you're ~2 minutes from your lectures).
    Actually, it does also have the advantages/disadvantages of having multiple parties on at any given time, being within crawling distance of the student bar and never having security at the gate.

Merville is very slightly nicer and is the same price as Belgrove, and I do mean slightly. The only real advantage it has is the Centra in the middle of it, which is about a four minute walk from Belgrove. It does also have security there almost all the time, which is good or bad depending on how you look at it. (Security makes having mates over after 12 annoying).

Roebuck is much newer, nicer and cleaner than both aforementioned but that doesn't come free. In Roebuck, you also have the option of having somebody cook your meals for you, but I've been told that a fry every morning can become rather tiresome.
    Roebuck also has no oven, and when your mates come over with a slab and a frozen pizza, that's a problem. It's also probably the farthest from any of the lecture buildings, but not by much.

Glenomena is situated to the back of Merville allowing you easy access to the Centra and it's supposed to be very similar to Roebuck. I've not been there(yet), so I can't comment on how clean it is in general or on whether or not they have an oven, but from what I hear it's rather nice.

If you know a few people living in UCD, you could try to stay in each residence and decide if taking a bit of a dive is worth saving ~€1000. Personally, I don't mind a kitchen that smells a little funny sometimes and a bunch of drunk students coming back from the student bar every Thursday quite late, Belgrove or Merville should be fine.
    If you're used to having an en-suite and living in a clean house... Belgrove mightn't be the best of ideas.

If anyone feels like adding/correcting anything here, go right ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 crazierthings

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Glenomena have ovens and is probably better value for money that Roebuck, problem is it's all postgrads and mature students so not much fun to be had, If you're doing Radiography I advise against Belgrove, chances are you'll get lumped in with two alcoholic arts students then you're royally f*cked.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

From the friends that I have in Glenomena and from being in the apartments (well, two of them anyway) there are no ovens! Maybe some of them do?

Also, it's not all mature students anymore - anyone can live anywhere now, the system has changed. My friends have good fun anyway! Although it's true that there are probably more mature students in Glenomena than there are in other residences like Belgrove, but I'm not sure why.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭the west wing

I was thinking of applying to move into Glenomena if I start my MA next year in UCD. Seriously? Are there no ovens? I checked on the accomodation website and they mention a hob but not an oven? How so they expect people to cook basic things with no oven? Can anyone shed light on this?:confused:

• Advertisement

Glenomena have ovens and is probably better value for money that Roebuck, problem is it's all postgrads and mature students so not much fun to be had, If you're doing Radiography I advise against Belgrove, chances are you'll get lumped in with two alcoholic arts students then you're royally f*cked.
    I'm doing astrophysics and I'm in with two arts students. I don't know if I'd call 'em alcoholic, but they're a way from the kind who're in bed by ten.

You can still get plenty of work done, but I'd just advise against Belgrove for the simple fact that it's Belgrove.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Its not a well known fact but mature students are actually just like normal people only a bit older

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Most people in Glenomena and Roebuck buy counter top ovens.

Belgrove is ****ing bitterly cold in winter. Roebuck has utilities included so comes to decently cheap. Glen and Roe have en-suits which is nice.

Glen is really fun this year, was there on Sunday night around 11 and there was music and **** outside the apartment blocks, people having a good time and a couple drinks.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Most people in Glenomena and Roebuck buy counter top ovens.

Do you know how much that costs by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Nope, so approx between 0-300 euro.

I do know most buy in Lidle or Aldi. So my estimation is less then 50.

• Advertisement

This year Belgrove has utilities included.

Also, there is a coutner-top oven in Lidl this week for ~€30.

Edit: Spelling.

Also, there is a coutner-top over in Lidl this week for ~€30.

Thanks for that!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 25 laura360

I lived in Proby house (blackrock campus) and I was shocked when there was no oven. When I asked why not, they said it was because of health and safety and that there has been a few fires over the years! Best bet is to buy the oven from Lidl!

laura360 wrote: »
    I lived in Proby house (blackrock campus) and I was shocked when there was no oven. When I asked why not, they said it was because of health and safety and that there has been a few fires over the years! Best bet is to buy the oven from Lidl!
    Ya I'm still in shock that there are no ovens!?! I lived on-campus in UL for 3 years and we had an oven. I can't imagine living without one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

I don't live on campus but have stayed in roebuck for a week and consistantly been in belgrove as a lot of people in architecture live there.

Roebuck is 6 people per apartment, each with en-suit, bed, desk, clothes rail and overhead shelf, oh and side cabinet and lamp. Microwave and hob cooker. Table+ chairs and 2 seats, which aren't that comfortable to sleep on.

The kitchen/sitting room is about the same size as belgrove but 3 more people. There are two of those half fridges too both with an ice box.

Belgrove are 3 people apartments. I'd advise against getting an apartment with a shared double room as I have a friend who's starting to hate the fact she's sharing with a bitch.

As said closest location is great. Lack of security is amazing too as i've tried to get into merville with no i.d. and there's security keeping you out.

There's a seperate shower room and bathroom with bath shared between the 3.

The bedrooms have a lot of shelving, and a desk and bed.

The kitchen has a cooker with oven, and a microwave and fridge with icebox.

There's dining table a coffee table and a 2 seater and 4-6 seater which are both really good to sleep on, especially the bigger chair to stretch.

I like belgrove myself, more easy going, good for parties and less people so hopefully less chance of trouble :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 crazierthings

I know the first year booking opens on the 9th of May .. i was just wondering if anyone could tell me what time ? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭MacieC

Over my degree period, I've lived in Belgrove, Glenomena and Merville so here is my opinion :

- Belgrove :4.700/year. It's an old residence so it's a bit dirty and not really comfortable. Most of the stuff don't work, heating doesn't work in some appartments' living room. Plus, it's electric heating which is really bad for one's health. There is an oven but it might not work properly. Same for the fridge and even if you go complain, no one is gonna care ! I lived one year in Belgrove and during that whole period, the fridge was always full of water and we couldn't put anything in it ! We complained and the office didn't do anything about it.
    The bathroom and shower are to be shared so that's kind of annoying espcially if you live with dudes.

There are a lot of first years in Belgrove so it's really really messy and quite noisy to be honest. I didn't like it. But the good point is that it's the closest residence to Science Buildings and the Library.

Merville : A bit better than Belrgove but there are 4 people in one appartment and two bathrooms. It's way more comfortable than Belgrove but the renovated houses 11-17 don't have ovens ! Although they are more comfortable than the non renovated ones especilly since you won't need a key just your student card, a system which isn't yet established in other non renovated houses and in Belgrove. It's near to Centra but to be honest during my second year, I moved to Merville to be closer to Centra and I ended up never going there ! Plus, Centra is super expensive except if you wanna buy essentials such as milk or water or whatever, but I wouldn't count on it to provide for the whole week !

You'll find a lot of 2nd and 1st years in Merville but it's slightly less messy than Belgrove is.

* Glenomena : I live in there right now and there are no ovens ! Only microwaves ! It's really comfortable because you have your own bathroom and the heating works perfect so do the fridges ! There are no ovens but seriously who cares ? People don't have time to bake ! Well, it's actually annoying if you like chicken !
    Glenomena is full of first years and it's really comfy. But it's quite expensive almost 6.000 a year.

* Roebuck : A lot of international students and final year students so I wouldn't count on it although it's as comfortable as Glenomena is, I prefer Glenomena it's less messy. It's the same price as Glenomena but it's quite far from Science Buildings ! Especially when it's cold and now that they're creating the new Law School in the middle of the way, it's just a pain to walk all that way down to Science Buildings.

Glenomena all the way ! It's the best residence and it's really quite. But I have to admit, it's a bit of a tough crowd because people there are quite different. Less friendly I thought but maybe it's just me.

Good luck :)

( The booking opened at 5 in the morning last year but it really depends from one year to another ).

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Donerkebab

do we have to pay a deposit on monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭augmented reality

Donerkebab wrote: »
    do we have to pay a deposit on monday?

Afaik, we only pay in august, this list is just a waiting list and you don't pay anything until august because lots of people who put their name on the list won't end up going to UCD.

I'm hoping to do engineering next year and am trying to decide between Merville and Glenomena.
    Which is best for a first year? I like my comfort but am wondering if sharing with 6 is a lot? Is there many first years in glenomena, wont know anyone going to UCD so would prefer to be living with other first years.
    I don't mind a party and a laugh but don't want to end up in a place which is just constant parties, is merville like that?
    Are those countertop ovens you'd buy in argos for ~€50 a substitute for an oven.
    Glenomena sounds a lot nicer than merville, is it that much better?

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭MacieC

To be honest, I lived in both Merville and Glenomena and Glenomena is better ! There are more 1st years in Glenomena, but this is very variable because it changes from one year to another.

Merville is almost all the time constant partying which can be pretty annoying if you're taking a heavy course such as medicine or something like that.

You will surely share your at appartment with 6 people in Glenomena but most of the time, you won't even notice that you're six in the appartment because you hardly get to bump into your roomates. Well, I haven't seen the guy whose bedroom is right next to mine, I don't even know what he looks like and I moved in in September.
    Glenomena however has a major amount of 1st years weirdly, although this residence was originally directed towards post-grad students.

The good thing is that you have your own bedroom and you only share the common area and the kitchen which is not that much big of deal.

I wouldn't live in Merville ever again ! I hated the year I spent there, never going back constant partying is not really my cup of tea especially every night at the beginning of the year ! Belgrove is not better either.
    Roebuck is a bit like that but since there are mostly post-grad and mature students it's a bit less messy. But still, in my opinion, Glenomena is the best residence.
    Plus its not too far from centra and from the launderettes and it's near all the bus stops.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ladymillybay

Erm, can anyone tell me where the best place to live would be for studying veterinary? Also, which houses are old Merville and which are new?? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭teotihuacan

Myself and quite a few mates are all pretty certain on going to UCD in September.

We're just wondering about the application process, is there any way that you can get an apartment with at least a few of your mates?

Is there any way to get an apartment together or is the selection/distribution process random and you get what your given?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Donerkebab

Myself and quite a few mates are all pretty certain on going to UCD in September.

We're just wondering about the application process, is there any way that you can get an apartment with at least a few of your mates?

Is there any way to get an apartment together or is the selection/distribution process random and you get what your given?

Brits out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ladymillybay

Actually I'm kinda wondering the same thing - do you know if the other people in the house know each other? I'm from Munster and don't know anyone going to UCD so I don't wanna be in a house with a group of best friends!! Also - Glenomena - good or bad idea?? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭teotihuacan

Donerkebab wrote: »
    Brits out

Florence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭supernutrino

Yes Glenomena is good.

You can choose your own room and apt from a menu online, so you can get your friends online at the same time and all choose the same apt just diffrent rooms, it's simple as long as you get them all on at the same time (earlier than the time advertised on the website, always comes on earlier)

I think next year they display what year and gender room mates are.
    (dont choose all the same gender...) and a mix of years is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 caitdebhail

i'm trying to decide between Glenomena and Roebuck and i can't really decide? Somebody i was talking to who lives in Roebuck said they get free printers and free gym, i was just wondering was this true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭supernutrino

Theres two Roebucks, Roebuck Hall and Roebuck Castle.
    They are right beside each other.

Castle is brand new, but it's smaller, its catered so theres no full kitchen (just a kitchenette with microwave) but the foods meant to be very nice, you eat in a communal area. Its for people who either are in very very busy courses and don't have time for shopping and cooking or for people who's parents never taught them to fend for themselves.
    Thats the one with the gym in it.

Hall is very nice but has no gym, but you do have a decent kitchen.

Glenomena and Roebuck are both vv nice and both relatively new (within last 10 years).

Glenomenas common areas (kitchen and living room) are bigger than Roebucks and its sofas are nicer. Other than that there isn't a huge difference between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Emzer92

I'm hoping to study Radiography in UCD this year and I've applied for on-campus accommodation. I can't decide between the renovated houses in Merville or Glenomena. Any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭jc2008

I'm moving into Glenomena as a 2nd year, having commuted from home in first year. I'm not moving in with anybody that I know, although I'll know other people elsewhere on campus.

This will be my first time cooking for myself, which is a scary prospect, but hopefully I'll manage - I'll need to diversify my abilities though, otherwise it'll be spaghetti bolognese and chicken-and-sweet-chilli-sauce stir fries all the time :eek:

Is it normal to just cook completely for yourself? Ideally, it might be easier to share cooking with housemates, but I'd rather just do it all myself, for myself - is that normal, considering I don't know them? What about having your own cereal, having your own milk, having your own butter, having your own tea-towel etc. - normal or crazy? Does Glenomena have enough storage in the kitchens for frying pans / woks / pots etc., considering there's 6 of us living there, and I imagine that most people will bring their own?

Also, as I'll be going home most weekends, I'll be coming back Sunday evening. Tesco on Nutley lane will be closed, as will Lidl in Dundrum. Do most people shop in Tesco in Dundrum (24hours) or do they do their shopping early on Sunday or on Monday?

Advertisement