Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation in UCD !!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

jc2008 wrote: »
    I'm moving into Glenomena as a 2nd year, having commuted from home in first year. I'm not moving in with anybody that I know, although I'll know other people elsewhere on campus.

This will be my first time cooking for myself, which is a scary prospect, but hopefully I'll manage - I'll need to diversify my abilities though, otherwise it'll be spaghetti bolognese and chicken-and-sweet-chilli-sauce stir fries all the time :eek:

Is it normal to just cook completely for yourself? Ideally, it might be easier to share cooking with housemates, but I'd rather just do it all myself, for myself - is that normal, considering I don't know them? What about having your own cereal, having your own milk, having your own butter, having your own tea-towel etc. - normal or crazy? Does Glenomena have enough storage in the kitchens for frying pans / woks / pots etc., considering there's 6 of us living there, and I imagine that most people will bring their own?

Also, as I'll be going home most weekends, I'll be coming back Sunday evening. Tesco on Nutley lane will be closed, as will Lidl in Dundrum. Do most people shop in Tesco in Dundrum (24hours) or do they do their shopping early on Sunday or on Monday?
    I'm in the same boat (2nd year, moving in to Glenomena, on my own) And yeah, I'm gonna be cooking for myself- I don't think it'd be weird, especially seeing as how everyone has their own preferences and budget. I hope food doesn't go missing from the fridge like last year in Muckross though :mad: I'm bringing my own version of all the above, so you're not alone. I think one needs the ... space!

Also, there's a tescos in Stillorgan just a short bus ride away- they'd be open

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

For those choosing Merville due to lax security - that is changing this year! Large new fences and security hut are planned, etc. :eek:

Ditto with Belgrove (but not as extensive I think).

On the plus side renovation of Belgrove is also on the cards. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 XxAmy21xX

I lived in Merville last year and I got Glenomena this year! Merville was grand but sharing the bathrooms could get annoying sometimes, also it got freezing in the winter! Really looking forward to Glenomena this year but like a few of you Im on my own too! I have no idea who Im living with? Anybody else in house 2? :)

I'll be in house 1 - hellllllo up there! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

hiya! a friend of mine has an attic conversion with ensuite, tv, etc for rent about 10 minutes walk from ucd, pm me for details thanks

• Advertisement

Hello! Im actually getting so excited to move all my stuff in and see who Im living with :O apparently its 5 girls?!

Indeed- I'm also very nervous/excited to see who I'll be with...!! I'm moving in on my own too- going straight from the airport on the 6th to get stuff sorted, gahhh! Ooh how'd you find out they'll all be girls? It has it's advantages and disadvantages lol. Tbh I think I'd prefer it- the guys I lived with last year were such slobs!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭jc2008

Is keeping a bike in your room on campus a huge no no? Worried if I bring my bike it'll get stolen - can't see that'll it bother my future roommates too much if it's in my bedroom.

The problem is I'm in Glenomena House 8, which I think is across from the R.A's office :o

jc2008 wrote: »
    Is keeping a bike in your room on campus a huge no no? Worried if I bring my bike it'll get stolen - can't see that'll it bother my future roommates too much if it's in my bedroom.

The problem is I'm in Glenomena House 8, which I think is across from the R.A's office :o
    Glenomena House EIGHT, yes? Then no problem, work away ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭sh1tin-a-brick

I didnt think I would be going to UCD so I was stupid enough to forget about applying for accommodation...

What are my chances now of getting anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

you may end up getting an off campus accomodation, put your name down anyway but you'd want to start looking around just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Shonagh

I'm so freakin' excited about moving up. I'll be going on my own but I'm really not too worried.. Hoping for Glenomena or Merville today!

Oh cool where are you from?! When I clicked on what house I wanted it told me what gender the other housemates were. Yeah I have enough guy friends in UCD all my girl friends are spread around the country! I'll be heading up on Wednesday to leave my stuff up, have you seen who you re living with yet?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 HickNewf

Hey im from Newfoundland Canada and im coming to UCD for a semester.
    Im assuming staying on campus will be the easiest option for living and ill meet a bunch of ppl, so i was just wondering what the best residence would be best for an international student looking to have a good time while in Dublin. (but also travel most weekends whenever possible) It looks like Belgrove and the 2 Roebucks are the only things available for Jan-May.

And secondly, anyone who has empty spots in their apartment and doesn't want to risk the chance of having an annoying roommate but is looking for someone who does/likes the following, send me a msg:

-Alcohol-you wanna hit the clubs? lets roll, wanna hit a party? im down, wanna just get drunk and talk about stupid ****? count me in
    -Travel-hoping to travel so wont be around all the time, but when i am, i promise to be awesome-or if you want to travel with, no problem, lets go see some cool ****
    -Doing dece in school without over exertion, if you need to study though or have a test comin up i know how to be quiet/make myself scarce
    -fifa 11 w the mates, or whatever else you wanna play, im down for anything
    -open minded/will try anything, is there any cool **** in ireland like bungee jumping or skydiving? cuz if there is lets ****in do it
    -if u wanna talk politics i can talk shop, be ready for a left leaning opinion, im doing business but **** conservatism, occupy wall street baby
    -im down to cook the **** out of anything, if you dont wanna join thats cool, i got you covered, not gonna see a mate starve
    -movie/tv buff, but not in the loserish way, i just like good entertainment, be warned though its mostly american ****, i donno what you folks in europe like
    -****in love sports, all kinds, north american and european, LIVERPOOLS my favorite footie team though

-*im not a piece of **** ignorant (north) american

ok thats enough out of the rambling newfie, any help/ recommendations is greatly appreciated, i dont really know how these discussion things work so i apologize if this is the wrong place or forum, msg me if your lookin for a winter roomie, ill add ya on fbook or smt

HickNewf wrote: »
    Hey im from Newfoundland Canada and im coming to UCD for a semester.
    Im assuming staying on campus will be the easiest option for living and ill meet a bunch of ppl, so i was just wondering what the best residence would be best for an international student looking to have a good time while in Dublin. (but also travel most weekends whenever possible) It looks like Belgrove and the 2 Roebucks are the only things available for Jan-May.

And secondly, anyone who has empty spots in their apartment and doesn't want to risk the chance of having an annoying roommate but is looking for someone who does/likes the following, send me a msg:

-Alcohol-you wanna hit the clubs? lets roll, wanna hit a party? im down, wanna just get drunk and talk about stupid ****? count me in
    -Travel-hoping to travel so wont be around all the time, but when i am, i promise to be awesome-or if you want to travel with, no problem, lets go see some cool ****
    -Doing dece in school without over exertion, if you need to study though or have a test comin up i know how to be quiet/make myself scarce
    -fifa 11 w the mates, or whatever else you wanna play, im down for anything
    -open minded/will try anything, is there any cool **** in ireland like bungee jumping or skydiving? cuz if there is lets ****in do it
    -if u wanna talk politics i can talk shop, be ready for a left leaning opinion, im doing business but **** conservatism, occupy wall street baby
    -im down to cook the **** out of anything, if you dont wanna join thats cool, i got you covered, not gonna see a mate starve
    -movie/tv buff, but not in the loserish way, i just like good entertainment, be warned though its mostly american ****, i donno what you folks in europe like
    -****in love sports, all kinds, north american and european, LIVERPOOLS my favorite footie team though

-*im not a piece of **** ignorant (north) american

ok thats enough out of the rambling newfie, any help/ recommendations is greatly appreciated, i dont really know how these discussion things work so i apologize if this is the wrong place or forum, msg me if your lookin for a winter roomie, ill add ya on fbook or smt

Boooooy, you ker-raaaazy! XD

Don't worry, you'll be more than welcome here- even with your yank-ish tenancies ;) Belgrove is a kinda mad place, if it was me I'd pick Roebuck but... something tells me you're ready for Belgrove :P

Siuin wrote: »
    Boooooy, you ker-raaaazy! XD

Don't worry, you'll be more than welcome here- even with your yank-ish tenancies ;) Belgrove is a kinda mad place, if it was me I'd pick Roebuck but... something tells me you're ready for Belgrove :P

aha well that is excellent news:p
    im a 4th year student so i should probably go to Roebuck...but from what im reading, if i want to live first year all over again then Belgroves the spot...just how bad are the rooms in Belgrove though?:confused:

HickNewf wrote: »
    aha well that is excellent news:p
    im a 4th year student so i should probably go to Roebuck...but from what im reading, if i want to live first year all over again then Belgroves the spot...just how bad are the rooms in Belgrove though?:confused:

I'm living in Glenomena, so not sure, but I've heard from others that it gets rather rowdy. As a 4th year, I don't think it'd be your cup of tea!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Eugers

I'm thinking of going to UCD and next year..I wont really know anyone and I'm planning on living on campus. I'll be doing an arts degree, probably in english and history, would Belgrove be the best spot for me?? I have no problem with constant parties and drinking either :)

Eugers wrote: »
    I'm thinking of going to UCD and next year..I wont really know anyone and I'm planning on living on campus. I'll be doing an arts degree, probably in english and history, would Belgrove be the best spot for me?? I have no problem with constant parties and drinking either :)

Belgrove is definitely the place for constant parties and drinking :P
    Same subjects as myself! Good choice :P

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

Hi Eugers

All accommodations are great if you want the banter. Belgrove is a very popular one for Arts students, simply because it's right beside the Newman Building (Arts Building). It's also the least expensive of the on-campus residences. I would thoroughly recommend living on campus.

But for any final years/post-grads that are mad for the study, the accommodation is still great. Unless YOUR housemates themselves have parties all the time, which is unlikely. Saying Glenomena, for instance, gets rather rowdy is codswallop - all the places get just as rowdy and/or quiet as the next. The only reason why Belgrove ever had the reputation for being mad is because of the closeness of each of the apartments together, and you can see people leaving from parties to nights out en masse.

• Advertisement

Belgrove is definitely the place for constant parties and drinking :P
    Same subjects as myself! Good choice :P

kk, i'll be there so :D. haha thanks! :p, Are you in the course now or going next yr? would love to know what the course is like!

Hi Eugers

All accommodations are great if you want the banter. Belgrove is a very popular one for Arts students, simply because it's right beside the Newman Building (Arts Building). It's also the least expensive of the on-campus residences. I would thoroughly recommend living on campus.

thanks for the info!
    Is it where first years tend to stay? or do the accommodations work like that at all? I know here in galway all first years tend to stay in Corrib village. If there was something similar to that in UCD i'd definitely stay there :)

kk, i'll be there so :D. haha thanks! :p, Are you in the course now or going next yr? would love to know what the course is like!

I'm in 2nd year now- it's pretty interesting, you get a good mix of European and American history, with a bit of American and the opportunity to study Russian / Australian and a whole heap of other things in 2nd year. English is great too- except for Medieval English, that sucks, but overall it's got some great writers to study

I'm in 2nd year now- it's pretty interesting, you get a good mix of European and American history, with a bit of American and the opportunity to study Russian / Australian and a whole heap of other things in 2nd year. English is great too- except for Medieval English, that sucks, but overall it's got some great writers to study

English is what i'm mainly interested in, History was the only other thing to choose from that i figured i'd like.:P Glad to hear its an interesting course anyways! Definitely think i'll put it down! :) heading up in november for the open day as well, really looking forward to it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

thanks for the info!
    Is it where first years tend to stay? or do the accommodations work like that at all? I know here in galway all first years tend to stay in Corrib village. If there was something similar to that in UCD i'd definitely stay there :)

All years are mixed in all the different accommodations on campus. There's firsties everywhere!

you going to UCD in January or next September?

I'll be going in september :) ..read my own message again there and it seemed a bit confusing sorry ha!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ele1992

Hey, i'm thinking of going ucd in september to do actuarial and financial studies! anywhere to live with first years other than campus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Meow_Meow

From the friends that I have in Glenomena and from being in the apartments (well, two of them anyway) there are no ovens! Maybe some of them do?

Also, it's not all mature students anymore - anyone can live anywhere now, the system has changed. My friends have good fun anyway! Although it's true that there are probably more mature students in Glenomena than there are in other residences like Belgrove, but I'm not sure why.
    I was thinking of applying to move into Glenomena if I start my MA next year in UCD. Seriously? Are there no ovens? I checked on the accomodation website and they mention a hob but not an oven? How so they expect people to cook basic things with no oven? Can anyone shed light on this?:confused:

I'm staying in Glenomena, and yeah, there are no ovens, just a hob and microwave. That said, one of the girls I live with (thankfully!) brought her own countertop oven which has been great for heating stuff up. You can definitely get by without an oven, but it's nice to have. I highly recommend Glenomena- you get your own ensuite, the rooms are a nice size, a great amount of wardrobe space, right beside Centra and it's very quiet.

A general heads up regarding internet in campus accommodation-- it's dreadful. Especially during 'peak' hours when lots of people are online.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

Hope to be going to UCD this September also. Glenomena seems to be the best so I'll probably try to get a place there, how far would Glenomena be away from the Computer Science building? According to the UCD fees page DN201 (Computer Science) costs €7,478 and this includes a "Student Contribution Charge of €2,000 and a Student Centre Levy of €158.00", was just wondering what these are ? :confused:

Advertisement