Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation in UCD !!!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ele1992

Hope to be going to UCD this September also. Glenomena seems to be the best so I'll probably try to get a place there, how far would Glenomena be away from the Computer Science building? According to the UCD fees page DN201 (Computer Science) costs €7,478 and this includes a "Student Contribution Charge of €2,000 and a Student Centre Levy of €158.00", was just wondering what these are ? :confused:

Have you been in college already?
    If you haven't don't worry about the 7,478, you'll you have to only pay the registration fee or 'Student Contribution Charge' and i think it'll be more than that this year not too sure though and then the student levy on top of that. The government pay the rest.
    Unless you qualify for the grant, then you don't have to pay the registration fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

ele1992 wrote: »
    Have you been in college already?
    If you haven't don't worry about the 7,478, you'll you have to only pay the registration fee or 'Student Contribution Charge' and i think it'll be more than that this year not too sure though and then the student levy on top of that. The government pay the rest.
    Unless you qualify for the grant, then you don't have to pay the registration fee.

Phew, that takes a load off my shoulders!

Cheers man, great help ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

I'd say the computer science building might take you approximately 20 minutes to walk to.

Neeson wrote: »
    I'd say the computer science building might take you approximately 20 minutes to walk to.

Thanks, have my heart set on UCD now :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Computer science is at the very most a 10 minute walk from Glenomena, Glenomena is one of the handiest accommodations in terms of location (Belgrove is slightly more central)

• Advertisement

Computer science is at the very most a 10 minute walk from Glenomena, Glenomena is one of the handiest accommodations in terms of location (Belgrove is slightly more central)

Wow even better ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

It depends how fast you walk. You'd want to be giving yourself 20 in the morning if you want to be on time and get a good seat.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Neeson wrote: »
    It depends how fast you walk. You'd want to be giving yourself 20 in the morning if you want to be on time and get a good seat.

It takes me between 10-12 minutes to walk from Glenomena to Health Science, and I walk past the computer science building to get there, walking at normal speed!

Leave 20 minutes beforehand for the first few days, better safe than sorry - once you get used to your timetable and where everything is, it's very easy to time things when you live on campus as you're not depending on traffic, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭majo

I've heard that the application list for UCD accomodation opens any time after 1.00am on the advertised day. Is it really necessary to sign up in the middle of the night to make sure you get a place or would later in the morning be ok??

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

majo wrote: »
    I've heard that the application list for UCD accomodation opens any time after 1.00am on the advertised day. Is it really necessary to sign up in the middle of the night to make sure you get a place or would later in the morning be ok??

Yes, it is necessary. Whoever said 1am doesn't know what they're talking about. UCD make a point of not releasing what time you need to log on, because if they said a time, EVERYONE would log on at the same time and the server would crash.

The way it is, only a small fraction of the "EVERYONE" stays up all night and logs on whenever they do decide to update the site - but that's still enough to crash it.

It's particularly bad if you're a continuing student that isn't in Final Year.
    First years, Final years, Postgrads, Erasmuses and other International Students get preference and have a lot more allocated numbers, which is fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Meow_Meow

Ahh it's the first year that I won't be travelling when I need to register for accommodation- finally! I've been giving my poor computer-phobic mother heart attacks for two years running!

Advertisement