Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Kebab for years - Kildare town

Options
  • 31-10-2010 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭

Now, I'm a little long in the tooth for munching on a kebab, (hitting 50 real soon:eek:) but I have very fond menories of Ishmals kebab corner beside the Baggot Inn in Dublin (late 80's). Also, the Kebab place on Parliment st.

But outside Dublin, its usually the boring stuff served by Abrakebabra & similar that has to suffice.

So a little venture in 5 star Kebab & Pizza on Friday evening in Kildare Town as Cunninghams had stopped serving bar food at 8.

And what a surprise - I expected the usual pitta + bits of meat & loads of cheap salad, but instead got a freshly made naan bread, filled with meat and a choice of very fresh salads, jalapenos and sauces. All rolled up into a mouthwatering feast.

Utterly DELICIOUS.:D - And very good value at 5.50!!:)

Considering that these guys are about the 5th operator form this unit in 2 years, I really hope they stay.

Well done - and the place was utterly spotless with every part of the operation in full view of the counter.

5 stars to 5 Star Kebab!!

- Yeah, I know the post is a bit gushing. But I love to see someone take pride in what they do, and people like this deserve to succeed!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Is that the place that used to be Abrekebabra?

Good to here an independent operator is churning out decent grub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

DWCommuter wrote: »
    Is that the place that used to be Abrekebabra?

Good to here an independent operator is churning out decent grub.

No that place just does standard kebabs - this is one door further along with a garish sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

91011 wrote: »
    No that place just does standard kebabs - this is one door further along with a garish sign.

Shame on me. I haven't noticed it. But I will stick it on the list of things to do post pub in Kildare town. (even though I live in Naas!)

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

91011 wrote: »
    Now, I'm a little long in the tooth for munching on a kebab, (hitting 50 real soon:eek:) but I have very fond menories of Ishmals kebab corner beside the Baggot Inn in Dublin (late 80's). Also, the Kebab place on Parliment st.

Hello 91011,

Remember Ishmal's very well, but it would have been early to mid 80's when I would have frequented it. And yes, they were the best I could find in those days.

I know it's a small bit of a detour, but the ABSOLUTE BEST EVER KEBAB's (or Shoarma as we call it) is in Rozz, Jan Pieter Heije Straat in Amsterdam.

I regret to say, once you have tried those, it will be hard to eat anything else in that line. Two of my sons are just back yesterday from Amsterdam and their trip would not have been complete without eating there.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭nicelives

Have to agree with the OP, have been very impressed with the quality of Kebab and the odd pizza in Five Star , Kebabs very like the brilliant style of Zaytoon in Dublin.

Exactly, fingers crossed they keep going, it seemed like the Bon Bon premises was cursed for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Family2010

Have to agree with 91011, the Kebabs in that place are excellent. We tried the Doner Kebab and a chicken tikka and a mixed Kebab and all were far better than anything we ever had in Abrekabra (the few times we got a take away there). As 91011 said fresh nan bread, fresh crispy bread and good quality meat. Have to say the chips were very good also and our eldest boy was very happy with his 1/4 Pounder. Now the lads behind the counter were short staffed resulting in a delay but have to say it was worth the wait. Will definitely go back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Nadser

Good to know! Must check it out, as soon as the roads thaw!

Advertisement