Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GAA stadiums to host Rugby World Cup

• 31-10-2010 5:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭

We're having a debate over on the Rugby forum about Ireland hosting the 2023 Rugby World Cup. Obviously GAA stadiums would have to be used with the 5 I was looking at
    Croker,
    Semple Stadium in Thurles at 53,000
    McHale Park in Castlebar 42,000
    Pearce stadium in Galway 34,000.
    Páirci Úi Caoimh in Cork 60,000 planned expansion
    along with Ravenhill, RDS, Aviva, Thomond, Musgrave and Windsor Park..

What I want to know is how you fans would feel about such a move. The inter county season would need to start a month earlier and be finished by the end of August so that's no exactly a cataclismic change. Would you like to see it happen or would you be against it and why. Would the authorities make it happen or have we still not come that far yet. Would palms need to be greased to the tune of maybe 10 million.

I'm only a casual follower of GAA and would like to know what the hard core GAA fan would feel of such a move. Floor is open.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I'd be happy enough if the IRFU could be fleeced for another nice payday. 15 million should do it, thanks and make sure not to mess up the sod too badly for the real sportsmen.:pac:

Ye can go sh*te if ye think the GAA calendar should be changed though. An All Ireland final in the fist week of August? No thanks. Our pitch, our rules.:pac:

The only time I can remember the dates for the All Ireland finals being changed was when the Pope visited in the 70's and that was only by a week. Cannot see it happening for the showcase event of a rival sport.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

flahavaj wrote: »
    Ye can go sh*te if ye think the GAA calendar should be changed though. An All Ireland final in the fist week of August? No thanks. Our pitch, our rules.:pac:

Ah in fairness it's a once off we're hardly asking for it to be played in January for Fuck sake. It would be a once off and in all honesty the GAA would be more than compensated.

Ah in fairness it's a once off we're hardly asking for it to be played in January for Fuck sake. It would be a once off and in all honesty the GAA would be more than compensated.

The All Ireland is sacred. If ye want to use a GAA pitch then change the dates of the WC tbh. Our house, our rules.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Rule 42. It hasn't gone away you know.

• Advertisement

The All Ireland is sacred. If ye want to use a GAA pitch then change the dates of the WC tbh. Our house, our rules.:)

Okay here's a comprimise. All Ireland Hurling on first Sunday and All Ireland Football on second sunday then keep it free for next month and a half i.e no Camogie or women's finals wasting time bringing a couple of thousand when nearly any other county park could accomodate them.

Fair?

Okay here's a comprimise. All Ireland Hurling on first Sunday and All Ireland Football on second sunday then keep it free for next month and a half i.e no Camogie or women's finals wasting time bringing a couple of thousand when nearly any other county park could accomodate them.

Fair?

Depends what dates the IRFU needs them tbh. I'd prefer that GAA actvities be disrupted as little as possible. Women's All Ireland's might be a waste of time to you, but to some people who spend their lives working towards them they are the be all and end all.

Fair?

Just move the Rugby World Cup to October. Fair?

Ok having looked at my posts it appears as if I may have been slightly antaganistic. I shouldn't have come in to the lions den barking instructions about what the GAA have to do.

Well the Rugby World Cup generally runs from mid September to end October. Therefore the only major match clashing would be All Ireland football final. I'm sure openeing game could be in the Aviva and we could get se of Croke Park from say the 20th of September onwards.

Now I know what you're saying that the womens all Ireland would be a huge deal to them but in reality it isn't sacred and considering the money being recieved the GAA should be able to have these finals on an alternative date or an alternative pitch.

The GAA don't compete with Rugby for players. The GAA have nothing to be afraid of. It is time GAA moved on from Rule 42 in my opinion.

Ok having looked at my posts it appears as if I may have been slightly antaganistic. I shouldn't have come in to the lions den barking instructions about what the GAA have to do.

Well the Rugby World Cup generally runs from mid September to end October. Therefore the only major match clashing would be All Ireland football final. I'm sure openeing game could be in the Aviva and we could get se of Croke Park from say the 20th of September onwards.

Now I know what you're saying that the womens all Ireland would be a huge deal to them but in reality it isn't sacred and considering the money being recieved the GAA should be able to have these finals on an alternative date or an alternative pitch.

The GAA don't compete with Rugby for players. The GAA have nothing to be afraid of. It is time GAA moved on from Rule 42 in my opinion.

Its nothing to do with Rule 42 tbh. Its to do with having respect for the association that you're coming asking the favours of. By all means use the GAA's pitches if the IRFU is prepared to cough up - but only on dates when the GAA isn't using the pitches anyway. I'm sure it wouldn't take that much brains to schedule a series of World Cup matches in a competition thats 13 years away in such a way as to ensure ye avoid using Croke Park on the 2-3 dates in September when its needed for All Ireland finals. Simples.

If not maybe ye could see if Flancare Park or Dalymount will have ye.;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Fair?
    Not really. The camógie finals are usually on the week in between and the womens football the week after the men's.
    But personally I'd love to see the RWC here and using GAA stadiums.

Edit: Started writing this before your last post. But still, the wimmin have equal right as men to play on the hallowed turf of Croker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

We're having a debate over on the Rugby forum about Ireland hosting the 2023 Rugby World Cup. Obviously GAA stadiums would have to be used with the 5 I was looking at
    Croker,

What I want to know is how you fans would feel about such a move. The inter county season would need to start a month earlier and be finished by the end of August so that's no exactly a cataclismic change. Would you like to see it happen or would you be against it and why. Would the authorities make it happen or have we still not come that far yet. Would palms need to be greased to the tune of maybe 10 million.

I'm only a casual follower of GAA and would like to know what the hard core GAA fan would feel of such a move. Floor is open.

Interesting thread here.
    I would like to remind you of Fitzgeralds Stadium in Killarney though with a capacity of 43,000 since it's renovation in 2009 details here.

Can I ask you, out of interest, have you approached ANY county board members regarding the use of the stadiums yet and received ANY feedback from them?

GAA don't compete with rugby for players? Tomas O'Leary and Shane Horgan are just 2 high profile examples that spring to mind.

Your opinion is echoed by many GAA fans re: rule 42. However, for the most part that's not the issue. Why should the GAA move their game? If the RWC wants the use of Croker let them work around the GAA.

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Interesting thread here.
    I would like to remind you of Fitzgeralds Stadium in Killarney though with a capacity of 43,000 since it's renovation in 2009 details here.

Can I ask you, out of interest, have you approached ANY county board members regarding the use of the stadiums yet and received ANY feedback from them?

No this just something I thought of today. Here's a link to the original thread in Rugby http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68775765#post68775765.

My thinkig about not including Fitzgerald is that by including Fitzgerald you wouldn't be including Castlebar and/or Galway. I'd prefer to have 2 stadiums in the west and the good folk of Kerry could make their way to Limerick or Cork. Ideally you'd want to try and limit the use of GAA stadiums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Surely the stadiums would have to be all-seater?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

very interesting thread.
    Its a pity that another Professional sporting organisation in Ireland would have to come cap in hand to us amateurs - but sure we are getting used to it.
    The dates would be an obvious barrier - but in theory it should be viable.
    I'd be agreeable but the bobs would have to be right of course!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Croker,

What about Fitzgerald Stadium, The Gaelic Grounds (Bigger than Thomond i think), O'Moore Park, Clones.

Anyway, there might be no need to think about it. The Rugby Bubble will be well burst by then i think. Cant be much more before it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Its nothing to do with Rule 42 tbh. Its to do with having respect for the association that you're coming asking the favours of. By all means use the GAA's pitches if the IRFU is prepared to cough up - but only on dates when the GAA isn't using the pitches anyway. I'm sure it wouldn't take that much brains to schedule a series of World Cup matches in a competition thats 13 years away in such a way as to ensure ye avoid using Croke Park on the 2-3 dates in September when its needed for All Ireland finals. Simples.

don't tamper with the flansiro please!

where would the final be played? croker or lansdowne road?? do you want attendance or your showpiece stadium?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

AI Finals were moved by a week in 2006 to faciliate the Ryder cup....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Besides croker do the other stadia meet international safety standards? Or is it just FIFA who are scared of terraces etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

Or Tallaght Stadium.wink.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Croker,

I think none of these stadiums (bar Croker) would be up to holding games for a Rugby World Cup without seriously huge investment. Also two of the above are in Connacht, not exactly a rugby hotbed. Also Castlebar and Thurles probably wouldn't have the infastructure for holding a major sports tournament. Also, significantly altering the GAA calender would be borderline impossible, its a mess as it is.

In sum, Rule 42 is the least of your problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Not really. The camógie finals are usually on the week in between and the womens football the week after the men's.
    But personally I'd love to see the RWC here and using GAA stadiums.

Edit: Started writing this before your last post. But still, the wimmin have equal right as men to play on the hallowed turf of Croker.

Mess up the womens calender without adequate notice, and compensation, and you will open one big can of whoop ass!!

I'm sure if asked, the gaa would try and accommodate ....the government would be involved also as it's in the countries best interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

just asked my father,a die-hard gaa fan about this idea,

his response

"get your foreign game off our fcking pitch":pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Lansdowne is hardly a showpiece, at one end at least. It would be quite embarrassing, as will be the case for the Europa cup final there next May, for the world to see that pokey end of the ground. So the final would have to be in Croke Park.

Like a lot of the other GAA folk here, I would also have to go along with the opinion that the World Cup would have to work around the dates for the All-Ireland finals. They did shift for the Ryder Cup in 2006, and dates have been changed for various matches at times, but the two All-Ireland Finals are the two largest sporting events in the Irish sporting calendar. They could be played one week out of their normal slots, and the 2nd and 4th Sundays in September have been used in the past, but no more than a one week change.

Would Ireland make a solitary bid to host it? Would it be more likely that it would be a Celtic nations bid, in which case the Millennium Stadium and Murrayfield would come into play? Twickenham might even want in on it too. There is also the problem around infrastructure around the other grounds. Castlebar can be a nightmare on a big match day for example.

freyners wrote: »
    just asked my father,a die-hard gaa fan about this idea,

his response

"get your foreign game off our fcking pitch":pac:

Is there a point to this little anecdote?

Flukey wrote: »

Would Ireland make a solitary bid to host it? Would it be more likely that it would be a Celtic nations bid, in which case the Millennium Stadium and Murrayfield would come into play. Twickenham might even want in on it too.

A Ireland-only application is entirely out of the question. It would have to be an Ireland/Scotland one at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Orizio wrote:
    Is there a point to this little anecdote?
    its the reaction of a gaa fan to the question posed?

personally i would love to see the RWC in Ireland, using some of the GAA stadia but would they meet the standards of the IRB does anyone know

Orizio wrote:
    Also two of the above are in Connacht, not exactly a rugby hotbed

Some connacht fans might take offense to that, plus isn't one of the plus points of hosting a WC of any sport raising support in the area????? Isn't the 2019 in japan, not a rugby hot-bed either?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I don't think any of the 6 Nations countries have ever had a sole application, we've helped out other countries, they'd help us out. As someone pointed out, a lot of the GAA grounds would need big investments to get them up to scratch, Cusack Park would need major investment alone.

If Ireland was to host is and get games played in Scotland, Wales and England, that could be a better option, base some of the teams around Murrayfield, Millienium Stadium, Twickenham and a couple of other stadiums. Use the provincial grounds for games, Thomond Park, Ravenhill and the RDS could be used for bigger teams, Sportsground and Musgrave park for some of the smaller teams, Croke Park and Lansdowne Road for play offs/final. You could also use some of the soccer grounds for matches.

If the World Cup was to be in Ireland, I assume the IRFU would want to play the final in their own stadium, that would mean that the final isn't being played in the biggest stadium, not ideal :)

• Advertisement

Well lads this is the Op here once again.

Someone mentioned, I think it was Ozirio, why would you go to Castlebar or Connaught but I think that using the World Cup would be a great oppurtunity to spread the game into places that aren't hotbeds and it's about giving people an oppurtunity to view the game people from Mayo, Sligo and Donegal. It would be pointless to base the tournament solely around Munster, Dublin and Belfast. I'm sure the folk of Connaught would love an oppurtunity to see a game even it was only a game involving Namibia and Romania.

Clareman mentioned that the stadiums would need massive redevelopmement. I have to disagree. Páirc Úi Caoimh has planned a major redevelopment, McHale Park and Pearse stadium have both been developed in the last 10 years and would only need some temporary or bucket seating. Thurles obviously needs major surgery but I think the GAA would take the opputunity to develop with assistance from the IRFU. Croker obviously only needs temporary seating.

With regards the final I'd like to see it Croke Park, biggest capacity it would make sense. But as a comprimise I'd also like to see is the opening match in the Aviva, and the third places, one of the semi's. I don't think the tournament would be going outside Dublin from semi's onwards.

I've given reasons for not having Fitzgerald as there would be enough stadiums in Munster without it. There really isn't need for O'Moore, Cusack park or Clones and really the use of Gaelic stadiums should be limited as much as possible to avoid huge rental fees and to promote the rugby stadiums also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Another problem if the Championship was to be put forward would be the League would have to be put forward. That brings it into January, which means the O' Byrne Cup etc. would have to be shelved as there is no inter-county training in November/December.

Not that the Championship would ever be moved!

Mushy, having looked at it all you would need is move forward the Football final by a week and not hold the womens finals in Croke Park. There isn't need for huge drastic action.

It's a nice sentiment to have them there but really there was 17,000 at the final this year and you can here the emptiness in the stadium. The Camogie finals are nearly always come from Cork, Tipp, Kilkenny and Wexford so somewhere like Nolan Park or O' Moore park where you could have a nice intimate final and the football play it in Tullamore or Cusack park or a stadium of that ilk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

I would assume that politically it would be necessary and desirable to have some games in the North. In which case Ravenhill and Casement would have to be considered.

Just looking at the New Zealand World Cup venues. They have 12 stadiums. (http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/destinationnewzealand/index.html) Many of them are around the 20,000 mark. Not every game is going to be France V New Zealand. Places like Thomand and Ravenhill would be ideal for Samoa V Japan.

So our 12 Stadiums:

Croke Park
    Aviva
    Thomand
    Ravenhill
    Thurles
    Parc Ui Comhigh
    Pearse Stadium
    Casement
    Clones
    Pairc Tailtean
    Tallaght Stadium
    Nowlan Park

A lot of investment would be needed, but that is the case for every World Cup bid. Ultimately a co-host with Scotland would look to be more viable. The addition of Hamden, Celtic Park, Murrayfeild and Ibrox would really add to things.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Mushy, having looked at it all you would need is move forward the Football final by a week and not hold the womens finals in Croke Park. There isn't need for huge drastic action.

It's a nice sentiment to have them there but really there was 17,000 at the final this year and you can here the emptiness in the stadium. The Camogie finals are nearly always come from Cork, Tipp, Kilkenny and Wexford so somewhere like Nolan Park or O' Moore park where you could have a nice intimate final and the football play it in Tullamore or Cusack park or a stadium of that ilk.

Why should the Ladies Football and Camogie finals be put out of Croke Park to accomodate another sport. The women that play Ladies Football and Camogie have every right to have their finals played there. IF they were to be put out, they should be compensated and not just a few quid thrown at them and a meaningless thanks.

Given the poor crowds that attend both, there would be a case for having the Camogie Final and Ladies' Football Final on the one day. With the Under 21 Hurling Final pulled out of Croke Park this year, it really hit the attendance at the Camogie Final. The Club finals on St. Patrick's Day feature a Hurling and Football match, so why not bring the Camogie and Ladies Football Final together? It would make for a much better atmosphere, and at that there would still be a relatively small crowd there, a lot less than on St. Patrick's Day. Quite apart from facilitating a Rugby World Cup, it should be something to be looked at anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Given the poor crowds that attend both, there would be a case for having the Camogie Final and Ladies' Football Final on the one day. With the Under 21 Hurling Final pulled out of Croke Park this year, it really hit the attendance at the Camogie Final. The Club finals on St. Patrick's Day feature a Hurling and Football match, so why not bring the Camogie and Ladies Football Final together? It would make for a much better atmosphere, and at that there would still be a relatively small crowd there, a lot less than on St. Patrick's Day. Quite apart from facilitating a Rugby World Cup, it should be something to be looked at anyway.
    That wouldn't really be feasible as there are the junior and intermediate finals (as far as I know) on the same day as the senior games. 6 games in one day would be too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

First of all lets be honest. Most GAA stadiums are the equivalent of soccer stadium from 20 years ago. Pairc Ui Caoimh, Tullamore, Clones and a lot more have a very small if any seating plan. When world sport bodies think of safety they won't want rugby matches in stadiums with old terraces. Ireland is not very modern when it comes to stadia with the exception of maybe 6 stadiums. Times have changed but GAA for the most part doesn't demand a strict seating plan. Rugby will.

Unless Ireland shares with Scotland there won't be a World Cup here for a few decades.

Plus Rule 42.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Not a hope, especially with Cork so involved in the games - it is bad enough that some players have to play two matches within hours of each other as happened twice this year when the football game and camogie were played once at the same weekend and another time on the same day, but to ask them play two Finals one after the other, not a chance. Mary O Connor, Rena Buckley and Briege Corkery are three of the top of my head, Galway also have a number of dual players that could possibly be affected. Thats just at senior level.

The Camogie association and the ladies football association have fought hard and won to keep the finals in Croke Park - and it would be a backwards step for the fastest growing ladies sport in Ireland to be pushed out of the way for a rugby world cup. Those girls train as hard as their male counterparts, and should be given the privilege to play in Croke Park. The associations payfor Croke Park for the finals btw, they aren't just given the stadium for the day and left off!

I don't see something like this getting off the ground at all tbh - would need a lot of investment in quite a number of stadiums!

That wouldn't really be feasible as there are the junior and intermediate finals (as far as I know) on the same day as the senior games. 6 games in one day would be too much.

True. I hadn't factored that in, even though I've often been at each of those days. You couldn't strip out the two senior finals either and put them on one day and leave the others for another day. The different grades should be on their own day in each sport. Something does need to be done to boost the crowds on those two days though. I fully agree that they want to play in Croke Park, but the atmosphere in a poorly attended Croke Park isn't great. The atmosphere would be better in a county ground, but Croke Park is where they want to play. It comes back down to promoting the games and marketing, an issue that comes up time and time again in this forum in relation to all sorts of poorly attended matches, that could easily have increased attendances if properly marketed.

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    I would assume that politically it would be necessary and desirable to have some games in the North. In which case Ravenhill and Casement would have to be considered.

Just looking at the New Zealand World Cup venues. They have 12 stadiums. (http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/destinationnewzealand/index.html) Many of them are around the 20,000 mark. Not every game is going to be France V New Zealand. Places like Thomand and Ravenhill would be ideal for Samoa V Japan.

So our 12 Stadiums:

Croke Park
    Aviva
    Thomand
    Ravenhill
    Thurles
    Parc Ui Comhigh
    Pearse Stadium
    Casement
    Clones
    Pairc Tailtean
    Tallaght Stadium
    Nowlan Park

A lot of investment would be needed, but that is the case for every World Cup bid. Ultimately a co-host with Scotland would look to be more viable. The addition of Hamden, Celtic Park, Murrayfeild and Ibrox would really add to things.

Good post, but some of those stadiums are absolutely tiny and still you have the problem of playing games in towns with little infastructure.

• Advertisement

Someone mentioned, I think it was Ozirio, why would you go to Castlebar or Connaught but I think that using the World Cup would be a great oppurtunity to spread the game into places that aren't hotbeds and it's about giving people an oppurtunity to view the game people from Mayo, Sligo and Donegal. It would be pointless to base the tournament solely around Munster, Dublin and Belfast. I'm sure the folk of Connaught would love an oppurtunity to see a game even it was only a game involving Namibia and Romania.

My point about playing matches in Connacht is that you need a base to make sure stadiums get close to being filled. Connacht Rugby get fairly low attendances (2-3k average?) which, even with the novelty value, is likely to mean half or even quarter empty stadiums.

Regarding Pairc ui Chaiomh, that development is currently being held up, and even after the re-development, if it goes ahead, it may still not be up to IRB standards - I presume there will still be terraces for example.

Euro_Kraut wrote: »

So our 12 Stadiums:

Croke Park
    Aviva
    Thomand
    Ravenhill
    Thurles
    Parc Ui Comhigh
    Pearse Stadium
    Casement
    Clones
    Pairc Tailtean
    Tallaght Stadium
    Nowlan Park

Here are the stadiums I'd use from OP in Rugby thread;

RDS in Dublin 20,000
    Aviva in Dublin 50,000
    Croke Park in Dublin 82,000
    Thomond Park in Limerick 26,000
    Musgrave Park in Cork 18,000 with redevelopment on the way .
    Ravenhill in Belfast 12,000 currently butcould reach 18 to 20,000
    Windsor Park in Belfast 20,000 currently could be more. IFA on board easily.
    Semple Stadium in Thurles at 53,000 would be reduced slightly with temporary seating and lots of work.
    McHale Park in Castlebar 42,000 again less with temporary seating.
    Páirci Úi Caoimh in Cork 60,000 with a planned expansion in the pipeline no reason why organisers couldn't contribute to sway GAA.

There's 11 there maybe another such as Athlone a nice central spot. Maybe scrap Castlebar for Athlone small multi sport facility, national Athletic stadium maybe?
    Maybe scrap Salthill and pirpose built stadium for Connaught resize afterwards alá London Olympic stadium.
    Your talking about the use of 3 GAA facilities in this scenario. Not a huge ask.

Orizio wrote: »
    My point about playing matches in Connacht is that you need a base to make sure stadiums get close to being filled. Connacht Rugby get fairly low attendances (2-3k average?) which, even with the novelty value, is likely to mean half or even quarter empty stadiums.

Regarding Pairc ui Chaiomh, that development is currently being held up, and even after the re-development, if it goes ahead, it may still not be up to IRB standards - I presume there will still be terraces for example.

I'm not sure exactly if IRB is as strict on terracing as Soccer is. I'm pretty sure bucket seating could be installed in any case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Here are the stadiums I'd use from OP in Rugby thread;

RDS in Dublin 20,000
    Aviva in Dublin 50,000
    Croke Park in Dublin 82,000
    Thomond Park in Limerick 26,000
    Musgrave Park in Cork 18,000 with redevelopment on the way .
    Ravenhill in Belfast 12,000 currently butcould reach 18 to 20,000
    Windsor Park in Belfast 20,000 currently could be more. IFA on board easily.
    Semple Stadium in Thurles at 53,000 would be reduced slightly with temporary seating and lots of work.
    McHale Park in Castlebar 42,000 again less with temporary seating.
    Páirci Úi Caoimh in Cork 60,000 with a planned expansion in the pipeline no reason why organisers couldn't contribute to sway GAA.

There's 11 there maybe another such as Athlone a nice central spot. Maybe scrap Castlebar for Athlone small multi sport facility, national Athletic stadium maybe?
    Maybe scrap Salthill and pirpose built stadium for Connaught resize afterwards alá London Olympic stadium.
    Your talking about the use of 3 GAA facilities in this scenario. Not a huge ask.

I remember the first Rugby WC in 87 and they would have beat that standard, no problem! Be interesting to see what the standard is next year.

Forgot about the RDS and Thomond ParK. It could be done but the IRFU would have to pick up the tab!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    I remember the first Rugby WC in 87 and they would have beat that standard, no problem! Be interesting to see what the standard is next year.

Forgot about the RDS and Thomond ParK. It could be done but the IRFU would have to pick up the tab!

Well having had a look at the stadia being used in NZ its about 5x 20,000 or smaller, 5x 30,000 -45,000 and 2x 50,000+ so we'dd easily fit that category. RDS, Thomond, Ravenhill would be ideal for small group games and then we'd need the GAA to come on board for the middle range stadiums and Croker. Could be done. Main obstacles put forward so far; refusal to change GAA calender, developement of stadia and Rule 42 and they're not going to be impossible to overcome but the GAA's support would be vital.

Well having had a look at the stadia being used in NZ its about 5x 20,000 or smaller, 5x 30,000 -45,000 and 2x 50,000+ so we'dd easily fit that category. RDS, Thomond, Ravenhill would be ideal for small group games and then we'd need the GAA to come on board for the middle range stadiums and Croker. Could be done. Main obstacles put forward so far; refusal to change GAA calender, developement of stadia and Rule 42 and they're not going to be impossible to overcome but the GAA's support would be vital.

8/10 stadia would do? 4 Groups?

. Say 2 in each province, but with Leinster having 3, you'd only need one in Connacht.

Lansdowne, Croker, RDS, Thomond, Ravenhill, Salthill, Omagh/Clones, and Pairc Ui Chaoimh, who are looking for redevelopment anyway.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    8/10 stadia would do? 4 Groups?

. Say 2 in each province, but with Leinster having 3, you'd only need one in Connacht.

Lansdowne, Croker, RDS, Thomond, Ravenhill, Salthill, Omagh/Clones, and Pairc Ui Chaoimh, who are looking for redevelopment anyway.

Ya 10 to 11 should definitley cover it I'd go for Windsor Park instead of Omagh and add Thurles, Castlebar, and Musgrave is undergoing a transformation as well another rugby ground wouldn't hurt.

Ya 10 to 11 should definitley cover it I'd go for Windsor Park instead of Omagh and add Thurles, Castlebar, and Musgrave is undergoing a transformation as well another rugby ground wouldn't hurt.

Clones might be very difficult to convert to all seater, that's my reasoning anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Just wanted to pop my head in here and point out that terracing in allowed in Rugby Union Stadia. So they wouldn't have to be all seater.

Thanks to Seaneh's nugget I have a proposition for the GAA fans, we'll throw ye a few pound to help with the redevelopment of Páirc Úi Caoimh, again help with the fixing of things in Semple stadium and that would be that with Castlebar and Galway grounds perfectly workable at the moment and a €5 million sweetner for grassroots developement.

In return for your support we won't **** with the crown jewels the Mens All Ireland Finals, you get your shiny great stadiums broadcast to the world and also get rich with practically no work. Win-Win situation all round boys!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement