Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with an exit strategy?

Options
  • 31-10-2010 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

I work for a professional services firm and was put onto a 2 day week about six months ago. Since that time I've had a "chat" with the boss and he has told me that realistically I should be working in another firm as I'm too senior and there are no prospects in that firm and also because they are having cash flow difficulties. My problem has been trying to find another job.

During that time, although the cash flow has dried up the work has not and on numerous occasions have been asked to work extra days, which I obliged and also for which I haven't been paid. I also had a child during this time and took 4 days off for which I had to work back so in effect I took no holidays at all this year plus the extra days I've worked. Last week I took 3 days sick leave, for which I have a med cert, and today I check my payslip and I've been deducted 3 days pay!!!

My ideal situation is to be offered redundancy and get paid for the days I'm owed.

Any thoughts on what the best exit strategy is?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Kid Curry wrote: »

Any thoughts on what the best exit strategy is?

Quit?

They're not going to offer you redundancy if you continue to work for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Exit strategy.. get a new job. Don't depend on redundancy. Stop working for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Kid Curry

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    Exit strategy.. get a new job. Don't depend on redundancy. Stop working for free.

If I quit I'll have no income. I intend to get paid or paid time off for the days I worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

They don't have to pay you for the sick days.

Yeah they should pay you for those days you worked for free but if they haven't paid you for them by now, reckon you need to go a legal route and prob cost you same/more to get that money.

You can't get blood from a stone : if they go into liquidation there will (and probably is) no money for redundancy.

It's unfair (and wrong etc) but this seems to be the situation.

Suggest you stop working for free and look for new job on your days off.

Don't quit until you get another/new job though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

1st things first...

Tell them you were not paid for sick.

They will tell you that you dont get sick.

You sayd "Grand then i no longer work for free"

Guaranteed you will be paid or let go.

If they get someone else to do your job you may have a labour court case.

I say may because i honestly beleive the labour court is shoite...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Go to the Rights Commissioner for the days you are owed. You do not need a lawyer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Kid Curry wrote: »
    During that time, although the cash flow has dried up the work has not

That's very interesting. The cash flow has dried up - but the work hasn't. Usually it's the work drying up that effects the cash flow. If the work is still there, so should the cash be.

Advertisement