Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Digital USB 2.0 DVB-T HDTV TV Tuner Recorder & Receiver

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Nice. Will this work with the Irish digital signal? It says on the advert that it cannot support mpeg4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

Nice. Will this work with the Irish digital signal? It says on the advert that it cannot support mpeg4?

Since the irish signal is mpeg4, sounds like no :( pity!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

it will work, the mpeg-4 decoding is done in software e.g. Coreavc, ffdshow etc..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 583 ✭✭✭xp90

I can confirm it works perfectly with the Irish Saorview service!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

So what exactly will I be able to watch on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭bigron2109

okidoki987 wrote: »

was thinking the very same myself ,except i was afraid to ask..

And can some one explain how it works please??

The digital terrestrial channels. RTE,TG4 etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

u plug it into your laptop or computer

then use windows media centre or similar, and you can watch the irish dtt channels

simples ;)

BArra wrote: »
    u plug it into your laptop or computer

then use windows media centre or similar, and you can watch the irish dtt channels

simples ;)
    But how can it work when it specifically says that it doesn't support MPEG4? :confused:

I presume this doesnt pick up BBC or ITV or channel 4??

• Advertisement

bigron2109 wrote: »
    You are correct in your presumption.

You are correct in your presumption.

Well there goes that Purchase. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

But how can it work when it specifically says that it doesn't support MPEG4? :confused:

+1 ?

+1 ?
    I'm guessing you have to install something like CoreAVC or ffdshow as mentioned above. Will VLC Media Player work guys? I love VLC and use it for everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

It depends on the software you use. The software it comes with might not do mpeg4 but windows media center or similar might work, it does on windows 7 with similar tuners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I'm guessing you have to install something like CoreAVC or ffdshow as mentioned above. Will VLC Media Player work guys? I love VLC and use it for everything.

Not sure... I know I can record a channel with "altdvb" and then open the file in vlc while its being recorded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Anyone tried it with Linux?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Not unless you live in the Border counties, you might get a Freeview signal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

I bought one of these a month or two ago for very little from a Hong Kong seller as a shot-in-the dark. It has been surprisingly good, especially at the price of a packet of cigs.

It actually does, I just recorded MOTD2 off BBC1 earlier. I think I am picking up a signal from the North (I am not a million miles from the border), though my aerial is not pointed anywhere in particular and the signal can break up at times (on the UK channels, all the Irish ones are fine).

I can see BBC 1, 2, 3, 4, News, CBeebies and "Red Button".

I think it will, but you would have to know all the frequencies etc. and create a separate MRL shortcut for each, no scanning of channels in VLC I think.
    docentore wrote: »
    Anyone tried it with Linux?

Nope, no idea if there are drivers, it shows up as a "Winfast DTV Dongle Gold BDA Device" in my Win7 Device manager.

They're selling like hotcakes since this thread was posted :D. The only worries I have is that the seller has bad feedback and I think he might be away at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Negative Feedback in last month is 9% :eek:

Negative Feedback in last month is 9% :eek:
    Yeah really bad! I'm just after getting an "order shipped" email though so.............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭christo82

Does this connect to a normal rooftop aerial as well as the small aerial supplied? thx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Yeah really bad! I'm just after getting an "order shipped" email though so.............

Have always got my money back from paypal in event of a problem, my friend in paypal says that basically if the seller doesn't have a tracking number you get your money back, if they have a tracking number it gets complicated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

phill106 wrote: »
    Since the irish signal is mpeg4, sounds like no :( pity!
    parasite wrote: »
    it will work, the mpeg-4 decoding is done in software e.g. Coreavc, ffdshow etc..
    xp90 wrote: »
    I can confirm it works perfectly with the Irish Saorview service!!

Could somebody please post a quick explanatory paragraph explaining how user friendly (ie. how painful!) it is to get this bit of kit to display Saorview?

- If its a case of launching 3 different apps each time I want to watch a certain channel I think it might not be worth the hassle :confused:

Any bit of concise, clear and accurate advice would be gratefully appreciated!!!

Raiser wrote: »
    Could somebody please post a quick explanatory paragraph explaining how user friendly (ie. how painful!) it is to get this bit of kit to display Saorview?

- If its a case of launching 3 different apps each time I want to watch a certain channel I think it might not be worth the hassle :confused:

Any bit of concise, clear and accurate advice would be gratefully appreciated!!!

Its really simple,

1. Have the latest divx installed
    2. Install driver that comes with the device along with the software (Blazedtv)
    3. Scan for channels and enjoy!!

Any other questions just ask!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

http://www.ebest24.co.uk/usb-20-digital-dvb-t-tv-stick-recorder-tuner-receiver-2227.html

Have a look at that stick on this site.They give a pretty good description of what it will and will not do.

That ones a bit expensive no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

That ones a bit expensive no?

Possibly, but for the sake of a few quid, I'd prefer to be absolutely certain of what I was getting!!!!

Your choice :) but the $9 one will do me fine for now :)

Its really simple,

1. Have the latest divx installed
    Ha? Do ya mean Codecs? Something like the Klite pack?
    2. Install driver that comes with the device along with the software (Blazedtv)
    So Blazedtv will process the Saorview MP4 Signal and you can then play it back in a 3rd Party Media Player such as VLC/Media Player Classic providing you have codec support?
    3. Scan for channels and enjoy!!

With edits!

With edits!
    Cheers for that! I wanted to avoid the technical side but you make a fair clear point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭bassy

Just ordered one last nite,xp90 does delivery take long m8 ?.

Any other questions just ask!!

bassy wrote: »
    Just ordered one last nite,xp90 does delivery take long m8 ?.

Well going from my experience, it was about two weeks, but wasnt too bothered, especially since the shipping is free!! Though if you need it sooner id say they could sort express shipping for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

just ordered..great bargin even if i only get a half hour playing with it ;)

Did anyone receive theirs yet for this place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

christo82 wrote: »
    Does this connect to a normal rooftop aerial as well as the small aerial supplied? thx

Same question? :confused:

Ah not to bothered either about when it gets here,had a few euros left over on a 3v voucher so decided to use it up and seen this dvb-t USB stick.
    Would even handier if you could use it on the vu+duo enigma2 receiver.

Well going from my experience, it was about two weeks, but wasnt too bothered, especially since the shipping is free!! Though if you need it sooner id say they could sort express shipping for you

Yes it does.
    Same question? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Does it work ok on Windows 7.
    Maybe one of you who has one could take the technical side of the setup to one of the hardware or DTT forums

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭gnolan

christo82 wrote: »

I think this is a very important question if anyone can answer it?

gnolan wrote: »

I think I am correct in saying this - Basically it has a standard co-ax in socket your provided aerial is a little larger than your hand and I assume could only ever suffice in a very, very strong signal area - ie. unlikely it will do......

- Once this proves to be the case then you just need to plug in the usual co-ax cable from your rooftop aerial - OR - simply an indoor amplified aerial that is up to the job.

Good thread here from People more clued in than me

* There seems to be a bit or either, and, or speculation here about aerials - You just need one adequate aerial plugged in......

If anyone can confirm that this is a standard co-axial cable I'm definitely getting it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

its simple

this works with windows XP/Vista/7

Works with a whole load of software pretty much anything that can view MPEG4.

it works in Dublin, even with the supplied aerial in a relatively built up apartment complex. also works in the few places i have tried dotted around the country , also works in the uk and all of europe.

It has a coax in socket if you have an existing aerial.

You can pick up 5 tv stations and approx 8 radio stations.
    RTE 1/2/news(24/7)/HDTest & TG4.
    TV3 and 3e are rumoured to be lauching soon. as is a RTE kids channel.

a rescan may be needed ery now and then until the finalise details and officially launch.

you have been told the answer already:mad:

gnolan wrote: »

bassy wrote: »
    you have been told the answer already:mad:

Would you like to point out where? Let me explain how I saw the conversation progress. Someone asked whether it connected to a standard co-axial aerial cable, the likes of which is connected to a terrestrial aerial - but got no answer, which i flagged. Raiser replied....
    I think I am correct in saying this - Basically it has a standard co-ax in socket

...with for me the important bit being "i think".

I asked for confirmation which i got from eoinf....
    eoinf wrote: »

It has a coax in socket if you have an existing aerial.

...and you're angry about this for what reason?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Does anyone know if this works on mac ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

sold out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

Picked up similar or the same from a different seller last night for €7.70 delivered.

Will post a link later.......

EDIT: http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270604039118&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.ie%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp3907.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D270604039118%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Ordered one to test it out!! Great for the money!:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement