Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Digital USB 2.0 DVB-T HDTV TV Tuner Recorder & Receiver

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭ninja 12

That looks like XBMC yes? Are you watching those channels on your computer? If so how are you getting BBC etc? Apologies for the silly questions as I'm not quite up on this but am very impressed by the pics!

It's MediaPortal , with the StreamedMP skin .

I have a dedicated htpc in my living room and use it for watching / recording tv programs , as well as watching movies / listening to music ,etc .

I have a Compro S350 DVB-S pci card , connected to a spare lnb connector on my Sky dish , and it brings in all the freesat channels .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

@ninja

Just setting MediaPortal up myself BUT...is there way to show "Movies" and "TV series" separately on the menus? I have movies in one folder and TV series in another. However the setup on Media Portal only seems to let me select ONE folder for videos:mad:

MoodeRator wrote: »
    @ninja

Just setting MediaPortal up myself BUT...is there way to show "Movies" and "TV series" separately on the menus? I have movies in one folder and TV series in another. However the setup on Media Portal only seems to let me select ONE folder for videos:mad:

You should use the plugins for MediaPortal instead of the generic videos menu .

For movies use Moving Pictures .
    For TV series use My TV Series .

They will download all of the info and artwork for you .

Here's a link to my build thread on another forum so you can see screen shots of them . Ninja 12's Silverstone CW02 HTPC

ninja 12 wrote: »
    You should use the plugins for MediaPortal instead of the generic videos menu .

For movies use Moving Pictures .
    For TV series use My TV Series .

They will download all of the info and artwork for you .

Here's a link to my build thread on another forum so you can see screen shots of them . Ninja 12's Silverstone CW02 HTPC

Thanks Ninja that looks like I have one headache less! Thanks for the link as well, that set up is stunning! That case look sperfect though out of my budget for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

ninja_12 that's a seriously sweet setup!

That DVB-S card have hardware decoding or do you have a fairly hefty CPU for the HD stuff? Your able to get the full freesat EPG?

I have a htcp myself but only one of the acer r3600 running XBMC.. so any tv related stuff would have to be usb.. might get away with software decoding using the ion chipset though. Would love to do something like this!

MoodeRator wrote: »
    Thanks Ninja that looks like I have one headache less! Thanks for the link as well, that set up is stunning! That case look sperfect though out of my budget for now.

Thanks , any questions about it , just ask .

Redisle wrote: »
    ninja_12 that's a seriously sweet setup!

That DVB-S card have hardware decoding or do you have a fairly hefty CPU for the HD stuff? Your able to get the full freesat EPG?

I have a htcp myself but only one of the acer r3600 running XBMC.. so any tv related stuff would have to be usb.. might get away with software decoding using the ion chipset though. Would love to do something like this!

I've only got a dual core 2.6Ghz cpu , HD decoding is offloaded to my graphics card .
    BBC HD looks brilliant , and I have ITV HD as well .

All channels that are available on freesat are available .

I have a full 7 day epg .

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭TJM

Would an Acer Revo 3600 have the oomph needed to output HD (or SD?) video if used with one of these? Anyone tried it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

I got mine from Ellieshang yesterday .

I did a scan with MediaPortal and found all the tv and radio channels :D ...........

All I have to now is get the logos I don't have .

Nice to see another MediaPortal Fanboy on these forum :)

See attached zip file for the Irish logos. RTÉ One, RTÉ Two, TV3 and TG4 logos I found on this thread. I made up the logos for 3e, RTÉ News Now and RTÉNL.

Personally I use the Maya Skin, I've attached some screens.

attachment.php?attachmentid=137994&stc=1&d=1291394094

attachment.php?attachmentid=137993&stc=1&d=1291394094

attachment.php?attachmentid=137995&d=1291393984

• Advertisement

jobyrne30 wrote: »

See attached zip file for the Irish logos. RTÉ One, RTÉ Two, TV3 and TG4 logos I found on this thread. I made up the logos for 3e, RTÉ News Now and RTÉNL.

Thanks a million ,

I found that thread on the MediaPortal forums a short while ago but was missing the 3e, RTÉ News Now and RTÉNL logos . I'm copying them over now .

Thanks again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

What's media portal?

Does you need extra gadgets to run this in your pc.

What's media portal?

Does you need extra gadgets to run this in your pc.

MediaPortal is a free program , used for playing music , movies , photos and for watching / recording tv .

When I boot my media pc in the living room , MediaPortal automatically loads , and I use a remote control to select what I want to watch instead of a keyboard or mouse , this makes it feel more like a piece of av equipment and less like a pc .

http://www.team-mediaportal.com/

Hope this helps .

MediaPortal is a free program , used for playing music , movies , photos and for watching / recording tv .

When I boot my media pc in the living room , MediaPortal automatically loads , and I use a remote control to select what I want to watch instead of a keyboard or mouse , this makes it feel more like a piece of av equipment and less like a pc .

http://www.team-mediaportal.com/

Hope this helps .

Does it get other Stations apart from rte rte2 tv3 and tg4.

Does it get other Stations apart from rte rte2 tv3 and tg4.

I have all of the freesat channels as well , but I have a satellite card in my htpc , as well as the usb DVB-T dongle .

What channels you get depends on what hardware you put in to it .

I have all of the freesat channels as well , but I have a satellite card in my htpc , as well as the usb DVB-T dongle .

What channels you get depends on what hardware you put in to it .

I only have the dvb-t dongle. And I'm getting four stations only. How much does the satellite card cost.

• Advertisement

I only have the dvb-t dongle. And I'm getting four stations only. How much does the satellite card cost.

The card I have was about €30 + shipping from England . It's DVB-S , newer/ better cards are DVB-S2 .

Re. your 4 stations , using my dongle , I have RTE 1 , RTE 2, TV3 , 3E ,RTE News , TG4 and RTENL test channel .

Original poster / Mods ,

Apologies for dragging the thread off topic a bit :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Got mine and it works :) ( I got a DVB-T card )

Ordered 23/11/10 and arrived today, from ebay seller herofengstore2009.

Link of seller and items

I tried it at work in the city centre and got no channels in the scan.
    I brought it home to Lucan and retried the scan... no channels.

Then I read about the orientation of different aerials, so I put the little mini aerial horizontally and retried the scan.
    It picked up 17 channels, 6 video and the rest audio.

Video
    RTE One
    RTE Two
    TV3
    TG4
    RTE News
    3e
    Then a test transmission screen of RTENL and the following audio channels

Audio
    RTE Radio 1
    RTE 2FM
    RTE Lyric FM
    RTE Radio na Gaeltachta
    RTE Radio 1 Extra
    RTE Pulse
    RTE 2XM
    RTE Choice
    RTE Gold
    RTE Chill / RTE Junior

Thanks OP for the bargain alert, definitely a great little gadget for the price of a mouse !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

Not having much luck ordering one of these. Originally ordered from the link in the first post then the guy disappears. Got refund from paypal. Ordered from ellieshang and paid for on the 20th nov and still no sign of it.... :D.

Anyone who ordered and received from ellieshang how long did it take to arrive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Newtown90

pissed wrote: »
    Not having much luck ordering one of these. Originally ordered from the link in the first post then the guy disappears. Got refund from paypal. Ordered from ellieshang and paid for on the 20th nov and still no sign of it.... :D.

Anyone who ordered and received from ellieshang how long did it take to arrive?

Ellieshang takes bout three weeks!!...

But it does come!! hahah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Soarer

Got mine from Ellieshang today!:D

So as I don't have to go back through 25 pages of carp, can anyone tell me what programs/software I need to install to get things running smoothly?

I'm running Vista with Media Centre.

Soarer wrote: »
    Got mine from Ellieshang today!:D

So as I don't have to go back through 25 pages of carp, can anyone tell me what programs/software I need to install to get things running smoothly?

I'm running Vista with Media Centre.

Programs i've tested it with:

Blaze, VLC, MediaPortal, Windows Media Centre...

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

xp90 wrote: »

Can the original link be removed, this seller has vanished, I've just gotten a paypal refund to prove it after raising a claim against them (wouldn't answer emails), and from reading above it seems others have too, but as long as the link remains there more people will be caught out....hopefully this ellieshang is a bit better, certainly more communicative :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Soarer

Glenviewjf wrote: »
    Programs i've tested it with:

Blaze, VLC, MediaPortal, Windows Media Centre...

Thank you kindly good sir.

I'll grab Mediaportal and give both it and Media Centre a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

Can the original link be removed, this seller has vanished, I've just gotten a paypal refund to prove it after raising a claim against them (wouldn't answer emails), and from reading above it seems others have too, but as long as the link remains there more people will be caught out....hopefully this ellieshang is a bit better, certainly more communicative :D

No issues here with ellieshang - delivery was very quick

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

fdevine wrote: »
    No issues here with ellieshang - delivery was very quick

So it seems, its the original seller link that has turned into a bit of a fly by night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

I just got mine, ordered from zhubaochao2010 on the 24th Nov for €11 including shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180537402607&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:IE:1123

Arrived this morning, very well packaged. It's working perfectly, picked up all the Irish channels and the DAB stations, integrated with WMC 7 flawlessly, the included BlazeDTV software is actually quite good. Very impressed with the item, and seems like a good seller, 99.3% 440 feedback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

received mine from ellieshang but it doesnt pick up any channels unfortunately (no lights on the stick either).

got a second one as an xmas pressi so hopefully it will work for them being nearer the big smoke

received mine from ellieshang but it doesnt pick up any channels unfortunately (no lights on the stick either).

got a second one as an xmas pressi so hopefully it will work for them being nearer the big smoke

Sure you can always try connect it to an outside aerial!

Should do the job like with the adapter linked in this thread!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I just realised one thing I done which may have boasted the signal.
    The little aerial is magnetised.
    I stuck mine on the metal part of a coffee trolley.

It's possible that the contact with a larger metallic object meant that the coffee table legs acted as a larger aerial.

Wouldn't do any harm to try sticking the little aerial on to any larger metal object and try to rescan the channels again.

* Although I'm in Lucan, so I'm probably in a good signal catchment area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

I watch this service on my Mac.Stations bbc 1 2 itv 1 2 3 4 channel 4,channel 5,E4 More 4..Lots more have a look im using it a month or so and its free.Total of 42 stations music,news etc

http://www.filmon.com/tv/?mid=13

I watch this service on my Mac.Stations bbc 1 2 itv 1 2 3 4 channel 4,channel 5,E4 More 4..Lots more have a look im using it a month or so and its free.Total of 42 stations music,news etc

So this is off topic and nothing to do with a dvb-t usb tuner...

So this is off topic and nothing to do with a dvb-t usb tuner...

Sorry Glenview i just thought of tv stations you can view on a laptop as i was reading this thread.

Coolmoose the listing has ended for that product:(

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180537402607&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:IE:1123

Sure you can always try connect it to an outside aerial!

Should do the job like with the adapter linked in this thread!!

The light only comes on when in use - watching a station or listenong to radio (on mine anyway )

I chopped the little antenna off the cable and put a normal co-ax connector in it's place on the end of the cable , and have it connected to a set of rabbit ears in the attic - perfect signal .

Use this page to find your nearest transmitter / transponder frequency -

http://www.mpeg4ireland.com/dtt-muxes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

Coolmoose the listing has ended for that product:(

Just saw that there now, pity, must be out of stock or something. Plenty of sellers with them for sale in the UK too, worth a look. Cost a small bit more but better than taking a gamble with some of the HK/China based sellers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Nice, ty for the link :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Am I missing something? It says $9.95/month

bmaxi wrote: »
    Am I missing something? It says $9.95/month

Yea can't figure that out either. I didn't register an account or anything but i'm able to watch all the UK channels anyway? I guess its a trial or something. It's letting me watch through my ipod too, would be sweet if this lasts but surely not.

Its free guys I saw that myself when i first viewed the site but its 100% free.Have it on now watching sky news:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭long_b

Anyone know what kind of range the Mt Leinster transmitter has? I'm in South Kildare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Its free guys I saw that myself when i first viewed the site but its 100% free.Have it on now watching sky news:D

Works great with the iPhone (wifi) thanks for the link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

long_b wrote: »
    Anyone know what kind of range the Mt Leinster transmitter has? I'm in South Kildare

I used to live in Athy and Mount Leinster was the best transmitter for me. (obviously that was for analogue....). You should be able to just about see it on a good day - you won't be able to see 3Rock or Kippure.

This thing is great, I hope it lasts. It probably deserves a thread of its own too, I wouldn't have known about it only for you mentioning it here. Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Personally I use the Maya Skin, I've attached some screens.

How do you have FiveHD? That's not available over FTA is it?

Ush1 wrote: »
    How do you have FiveHD? That's not available over FTA is it?

Your correct it's a scrambled Satellite channel and it's not FTA, but it's Free To View (a non subscription channel) using a Freesat from SKY card.

Forum rules on boards.ie prevent me from discussing how to use a valid Sky card in a non SKY box or HTPC to decode scrambled channels.

• Advertisement

Forum rules on boards.ie prevent me from discussing how to use a valid Sky card in a non SKY box or HTPC to decode scrambled channels.
    Expect a deluge of private messages! :D

Expect a deluge of private messages! :D

My Inbox is full already:eek:

:D

From the amouont of interest, would it not be worth starting a thread on Media Portal and Freesat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Got my DVB-T 2 stick yessterday and have unfortunately had troubles ....... the tuner in this one is not supported in Linux presently it seems. I thought at first the device was dead.

I tried installing to Win Vista on another family member's PC, but the Blaze software would not launch properly .... I suspect because it is a 64 bit Vista.

So I tried a Virtual Box installation of Win2k on my Linux PC and Blaze worked OK, plugged in an external aerial and scanned ..... finding a totaly of 17 channels (TV, radio and test)
    All were 100% for both quality and power.

Unfortunately Win2k will not deliver the output ..... radio is stuttering and distorted and no display for TV. That is I believe down to Win2k and the manner in which it is running.

So, I am rather disappointed that I cannot use the device although it seems to be working .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

Got my DVB-T 2 stick yessterday and have unfortunately had troubles ....... the tuner in this one is not supported in Linux presently it seems. I thought at first the device was dead.

I got it working on linux mint (ubuntu) , you have to change a few things but it does work :D can't rem the links but it's on the net how to do it. PM me if you have difficulty.

• Advertisement
Advertisement