Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questionable Conspiracy theory Moderation

Options
  • 31-10-2010 6:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056073995

The points are as follow.

I was banned for a month for comparing a poster's comments to the Nuremberg laws.

Firstly the moderations of conspiracy theories are claiming that the conspiracy theories forum does allow racist language that would lead to a banning on other forums.

* post any abusive, harmful, vulgar, obscene, sexually explicit, indecent, profane, inappropriate, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable Material, except where the content is appropriate to the content of the forum and you have been granted specific permission to do so and subject to our guidelines on said content
    * post Material that contains violence, or offensive subject matter or contains a link to an adult website

It should be pointed out there is nothing in the conspiracy forum charter that leads to suggest that racist comments are acceptable.

This is a massive oversight.

Secondly According to one mod on the thread my making reference to the Nuremberg laws, claiming that I was suggesting that I was saying the poster wanted genocide, however on the same thread a different moderator said
    This isn't a political rally. Phrases like "The Jewish Problem" were fine in Nuremburg, but aren't welcome here.

The moderator used the same analogy as me.

So there are two points here;

A) Should a moderator ban a user for using language while another moderator uses the same language on the same thread?

B) If the conspiracy theories forum is going to allow racist language, surely the moderators have a duty to make this clear (their forum charter does not at present do this) Then in addition if allowing this language they should also relax the rules on personal reactions. For example, another poster alaistar is banned for called another posters comments "bigotry" , these comments were clearly bigotry, so how can it be that the moderators are happy to allow comments that would be considered ban able on another forum, but will ban people for being offended for these comments.

Links are in the thread above, specific posts can be provided...

In addition I have spoken to the moderator, via pm, started a conflict resolution thread, and a thread in feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Moved from the Help Desk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Di0genes

Thank you, I have already started a thread on this already, but I'd like it re examined in light of the new information.

It's been nearly 36 hrs since my thread was started and no C-Mod or Admin response.

Just to reiterate
    post any abusive, harmful, vulgar, obscene, sexually explicit, indecent, profane, inappropriate, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable Material, except where the content is appropriate to the content of the forum and you have been granted specific permission to do so and subject to our guidelines on said content

The mods of the conspiracy theory forum have focused on the first half of this part of the terms of user agreements. Despite the fact that there is no criteria or definition of what is considered acceptable in Conspiracy theories, that isn't allowed in other Soc forums. But there is no evidence that the people who voice these racist opinions have strived to gain any kind of permission to voice these rancid world views.

Keep in mind the mods of the conspiracy theory forum seem to think they have the right and duty to protect the feeling of people who express racist view points, and feel they should protect these people from the righteous objections from decent people.

I now would like to move this from a C-mod issue to a Admin issue. This isn't about a appeal over a moderation decision it is about the accepted tone of the debate on this forum.

I'd also like to add the ban expires in 48 hrs I'm not bothered about getting the ban lifted, I'm genuinely and sincerely interested as I think this is a bigger issue with the overall tone of the conspiracy theories forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Di0genes wrote: »
    It's been nearly 36 hrs since my thread was started and no C-Mod or Admin response.

Occasionally real life intrudes on our schedules.
    Di0genes wrote: »
    Just to reiterate

The mods of the conspiracy theory forum have focused on the first half of this part of the terms of user agreements. Despite the fact that there is no criteria or definition of what is considered acceptable in Conspiracy theories, that isn't allowed in other Soc forums. But there is no evidence that the people who voice these racist opinions have strived to gain any kind of permission to voice these rancid world views.

Keep in mind the mods of the conspiracy theory forum seem to think they have the right and duty to protect the feeling of people who express racist view points, and feel they should protect these people from the righteous objections from decent people.

I now would like to move this from a C-mod issue to a Admin issue. This isn't about a appeal over a moderation decision it is about the accepted tone of the debate on this forum.

I tend to agree with that view - it seems like a forum charter review issue rather than anything else, at least at this stage.

However, it may be worth pointing out that it is the responsibility of the mods to police their forums according to the established charter, whereas "righteous objections from decent people" to things they feel ought to be in the charter can easily descend into vigilantism.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Closing this one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement