Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Belkin instead of Cisco question

Options
  • 31-10-2010 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I just got the UPC broadband in with the usual Cisco 2425 modem. After reading several posts about how bad they seem to be I want to try use my Belkin

Is it as simple as connecting via the ethernet cable and is it even worth it?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,339 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Bassboxxx wrote: »
    Hi,

I just got the UPC broadband in with the usual Cisco 2425 modem. After reading several posts about how bad they seem to be I want to try use my Belkin

Is it as simple as connecting via the ethernet cable and is it even worth it?

Do you need the phone functionality or not? If not, then it's be easiest to bridge the Cisco. Once in bridge mode, you can just connect the Belkin from it's WAN port, and set it to connect by DHCP.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Spear wrote: »
    Do you need the phone functionality or not? If not, then it's be easiest to bridge the Cisco. Once in bridge mode, you can just connect the Belkin from it's WAN port, and set it to connect by DHCP.

dont need the phone bit. I set the cisco to bridge mode but am a bit lost on the DHCP bit. Will this be an option in the settings menu for the Cisco modem?

Thanks,

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,339 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

dont need the phone bit. I set the cisco to bridge mode but am a bit lost on the DHCP bit. Will this be an option in the settings menu for the Cisco modem?

Thanks,

No, it's in the Belkin. Probably labelled "internet/WAN connection type" or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

Can i piggyback on this thread and ask a question

Where in the settings on the Cisco can you disable the wireless? I have bridged a router to my modem last nite (horribly bad wireless performance) and have the router working fine, but I have 2 networks broadcasting in the house so I'd like to disable the UPC router

Thanks for any replies....

thewing wrote: »
    Can i piggyback on this thread and ask a question

Where in the settings on the Cisco can you disable the wireless? I have bridged a router to my modem last nite (horribly bad wireless performance) and have the router working fine, but I have 2 networks broadcasting in the house so I'd like to disable the UPC router

Thanks for any replies....

On the wireless section, choose basic. In there set the AP mode to disabled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

Thanks Spear

Did a lot searching last nite, but couldn't find the setting itself.

ATB
    TheWing

Thanks Spear,

I'm having problems accessing the settings on the Belkin so I couldn't set the DHCP bit. It is however working and connecting to laptop. should I concern myself with trying to change the settings or just use it as it is?
    In short, will it make any difference?

Thanks Spear,

I'm having problems accessing the settings on the Belkin so I couldn't set the DHCP bit. It is however working and connecting to laptop. should I concern myself with trying to change the settings or just use it as it is?
    In short, will it make any difference?

What IP address is the laptop picking up?

the IP of the router is 192.168.2.1.

Is that the one you mean, I'm sketchy on some of this stuff.

TY

the IP of the router is 192.168.2.1.

Is that the one you mean, I'm sketchy on some of this stuff.

TY

No, the laptop. I'm curious to see if it's getting an address from the router, or if the DHCP request is being passed through to the Cisco instead.

• Advertisement

ok, is it this one 89.100.207.159

if not can u tell me how to get it?:o

ok, is it this one 89.100.207.159

if not can u tell me how to get it?:o

That's a public IP, the laptop shouldn't be getting that, the router should. You'll need to get proper access to the Belkin to check things.

cool, see my problem is when I try to access the Belkin router I get what looks like a half loaded page if ya get me. So I can't change anything on it at the mo, have a look see what you think, if you could.

cool, see my problem is when I try to access the Belkin router I get what looks like a half loaded page if ya get me. So I can't change anything on it at the mo, have a look see what you think, if you could.

I've only got the obvious suggestions for that, i.e. try a different browser, clear cookies and cache etc.

Spear wrote: »
    I've only got the obvious suggestions for that, i.e. try a different browser, clear cookies and cache etc.

I accessed the belkin on another comp and it was set for DHCP enabled.
    I reconnected my Cisco as the Belkin, while working was giving all sorts of problems.
    I wonder is there any point in spending time on this, I don't even know if that Belkin router is any use???
    What you think?

Advertisement