Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quiet Halloween?

• 31-10-2010 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

Anyone think this Halloween is Quiter, Very quiet in my opnion this year, only tinkers setting off fireworks. anyone thinks its quiet compared to the last Couple of halloweens?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

No no different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Yeah bit quieter-think everyone has grown up and moved on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

RobitTV wrote: »
    Anyone think this Halloween is Quiter, Very quiet in my opnion this year, only tinkers setting off fireworks. anyone thinks its quiet compared to the last Couple of halloweens?

It's the effects of the Recession.

Honestly, think its the timing of the bank holiday etc.
    It has been quieter than other years.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Where are you?!

It's like Beirut here. Even the goldfish are freaked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Fireworks are mental around here but we never get trick or treaters anyway so no change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Yeah bit quieter-think everyone has grown up and moved on.

yeh same most of the kids on my street are in secondary school

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

wet night tends to keep people in.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Seems to be alright. Being on a Sunday this year, most people (that I know anyway) went out last night for it - only seems to be trick or treaters celebrating tonight. Since we never really get any around here anyway...

That said there's been fireworks every 2 minutes going off over here, but that's ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Namabillion

We've had no trick or treaters yet. Usually buy this time we have a good few.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ValJester

Definitely quieter. I assume it's the cold, the recession and the bank holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

kippy wrote: »
    It's the effects of the Recession.

Honestly, think its the timing of the bank holiday etc.
    It has been quieter than other years.

Actually it's more the effect of the boom years. People started looking out for number 1, getting greedier, less community.

That = less sweets for us all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Over the years it got quiet. Just moreso this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

It's always quiet around my way... a few kids earlier trick or treating, but that's about it.

Haven't heard one banger or firework & am not likely to, thank god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

i hope they call around soon , im gonna puke if i eat anymore sweets. they taste so good .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Lots of fireworks but no one came around asking for sweets. Good, I have a tin full of cadbury roses. Greedy me :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

I'm staying in for the time since Halloween 06. One of my friends got a girlfriend, another on the dole or the other is up in Dublin at college. I would love to go out, I just need new friends I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭cute_cow

some fireworks/bangers, but for the first time in 3 years we had kids calling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

A few years ago we forgot to get anything in for the trick or treaters & when they started calling, my wife went frantic looking in the cupboards for something to give them.

She found some chocolates that were in the back of a press & gave them out. When I got home, I found the empty box on the table & asked her if she'd eaten all the liquers at once.

She went as white as ghost when she heard that. Kind of apt, seeing as it was Halloween!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

I'm in the city. So far I've heard two fireworks and that's about it!
    Out in Killiney there have been fireworks going off all week, although, not as much as usual in my opinion.

Most people seem to have gone out other days and dressed up then.

College/work tomorrow - I suppose people have partied all weekend and have to be up early in the morning :( Boo!

Although... I did see some really cute little kids earlier! And they had balloons! Awh! How I miss the days when Hallowe'en was actually fun. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Scráib

Well my neck of the woods is really kicking off, sort of what I expect being in bagdad on a bad day would be like.

There's a bit of wasteland near where I live so I assume everyone is just piling in down there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

WIZE wrote: »
    i hope they call around soon , im gonna puke if i eat anymore sweets. they taste so good .

Exact same here, after eatin about 5 bars now in the last hour:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I dunno where in Waterford the OP is, but it is a lot quieter than the last couple of years around the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

its like beruit here, bangers/fireworks havnt stopped since it got dark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭newtoboards

Very quiet this year, small bonfire in the estate, a few bangers and very few trick or treaters but most that called made an effort with costumes.

Actually had two girls in their teens in normal clothes call for money (first time ever I've seen people ask for money). They were not impressed with the box of fun size smarties I threw at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Elliejo

Fair few fireworks, but far fewer trick-or-treaters than usual. I suppose it's a sign that the kids of the local estates are growing up.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Surprisingly quiet here actually, but the pubs are still open so I don't think it'll last forever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

The night was still young, the sun had just set,
    the sound of howling; the darkness had met.
    And all of a sudden, streaks of light,
    and fantastic explosions before a drum roll.
    Was this war, or was this just fun?
    I pray tell the night, as I remained wrapped up tight...
    HAPPY HOLLOW'EEN!

Lol I wrote this when I started secondary school :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Usual scummers at the bonfire out front one just light broke down a newly planted tree and chucked it on the bonfire. Another ordinary night in Dun laoghaire

Hallowe'en is the day
    When ghouls and goblins
    Come out to play.

They go from door to door
    Looking for treats,
    More and more.

The street explodes
    With bangers;
    Teenagers, I suppose.

And the park is alight
    With fire,
    As it lights up the night.

And I sit inside, here,
    And think: thank fuck
    It's only once a year.

• Advertisement

Silverfish wrote: »
    It's like Beirut here. Even the goldfish are freaked out.
    Join the club, tell you what though, the kids in Beirut probably have more manners and cop on to the ones where I am tonight. Had to take my son and his mates round trick or treating tonight, teenagers going round stealing the bags of sweets from them and thats mild compared to whats going on now, guards are living down here tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Just as I think one lot of bangers have eventually run out, another lot sounds from another direction...the poor dog is cuddling in next to me quivering with fear. :(

Only a few trick or treaters tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭clikityclak

I'm very disappointed with the lack of trick-or-treaters :( We only had 4 and I wanted to scare the little feckers, kept my zombie face on from work earlier! It definitely used to be bigger when I was a wee one:)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 yamadeejit

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Join the club, tell you what though, the kids in Beirut probably have more manners and cop on to the ones where I am tonight. Had to take my son and his mates round trick or treating tonight, teenagers going round stealing the bags of sweets from them and thats mild compared to whats going on now, guards are living down here tonight.

That's Dundalk for ya :rolleyes: A kid set a banger off in front of me when I was walking home and as I was leaving my friends house from her halloween party thingy her neighbours saw me and shouted "Here's a feckin trick or treater" and slammed the door :rolleyes:

I'm spending this Halloween eating a chinese and depressed. Happy Halloween everybody! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Quieter I think.

Although I think that may be because I live in an affluent area and my apartment smells of rich mahogany and leather-bound books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Awful_Bliss

Ironically enough I heard more last night than tonight. But just had a quick squint outside tonight and not a whisper. Weird alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭GarethWA

I'm glad they haven't come! They're just like jehovah's witnesses except we have to feed them!

Ironically enough I heard more last night than tonight. But just had a quick squint outside tonight and not a whisper. Weird alright.
    How is that ironic? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

It's gone completely dead around here suspiciously early, I think there's a garda patrol atm so everyone's legged it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭GarethWA

Saturday is busier than Sunday? OMGWTF???:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Ms. Captain M

Got one girl trick or treating on her own earlier dressed as a witch. Tried talking to her she wouldn't speak, tried giving her sweets she wouldn't take them. So we stood looking at each other til 3 laughing kids came out from behind the car and picked up the child sized dummy. Apparantely I was "the best yet"!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Awful_Bliss

Daemos wrote: »
    How is that ironic? :confused:

Probably cos tonight is Halloween and it's when they let the majority of the bangers off. Same as every year.

Probably cos tonight is Halloween and it's when they let the majority of the bangers off. Same as every year.
    Yeah, but that's not irony... oh never mind, I hate acting like a teacher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Muppets collecting for the bonfire as usual
    Fireworks everywhere !
    old man with half his hand blown off
    and Car crash from a person suddenly deciding to stop in the middle of the road and reverse really fast ! (no joke)

but only one set of kids trick or treating .... so yes very quiet christmas halloween indeed.

Fecking tones of sweets and ****e downstairs thanks to my dad working in musgraves and bringing home boxes of goodies !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

very quiet in Leixlip this year, had no trick or treaters (im hyper on sugar as a result) and theres been feck all bangers, more last night in fact.

Drove home from town earlier though and there was lots going off on the north circular at a bonfire and another big bonfire at palmerstown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Didn't get one knock on the door this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Yeah we havent had anyone call to the house...I thought it could have been because we didn't put up decorations this year, but loads of my friends say the same thing. Pity, I love Halloween!

They never come to our house, I guess having massive guard dogs outside doesn't help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Had about a dozen trick n treaters at door tonight ..

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ValJester

Had none.That said if they came near my house they're very lost.

• Advertisement
Advertisement