Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frozen Prawn help

Options
  • 31-10-2010 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

I'm making a fish pie for dinner but I've forgotten to take the prawns out of the freezer. They're the Lidl ready cooked ones so would they be ok to defrost in the microwave, can I just throw them in the pie as is, or would I be best leaving them out altogether?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Just put them in a bowl of lukewarm water and leave them (about 5 mins for the small prawns) for a while. They will defrost fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Hooray, Dinner is saved!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Dinkie wrote: »
    Just put them in a bowl of lukewarm water and leave them (about 5 mins for the small prawns) for a while. They will defrost fairly quickly.

For future reference, cold water is safer :).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Faith wrote: »

+ 1 for cold water - it's still warmer than frozen. Cold water will take a little while longer to defrost, but as Faith has said it's safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,502 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Surely putting frozen cooked prawns in lukewarm water for 5 minutes does not sustain bacterial growth to anything near dangerous levels???

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Ignore everyone else so far.

Put them in a bowl/container. Put said vessel under a slowly running cold tap for about a minute. Will be defrosted and kept under 4c. Leaving them in lukewarm water is a sketchy idea.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've seen Nigella Lawson chuck frozen prawns into a paella.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've seen Nigella Lawson chuck frozen prawns into a paella.
    That's what I do too both for paella and fish pie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

Don't do it with the water glazed frozen prawns though or your fish pie will be very wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

TBH frozen prawns in a fish pie, or anything that is going to be cooked for abotu 30 mins in an oven is never really a good idea. They get very rubbery.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

unkel wrote: »
    Surely putting frozen cooked prawns in lukewarm water for 5 minutes does not sustain bacterial growth to anything near dangerous levels???

Perhaps not, but do you really want to take that risk with shellfish?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,502 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Perhaps not, but do you really want to take that risk with shellfish?

Was just wondering, maybe someone here knows some science behind it? :)

Myself, I'd either defrost them in the fridge or for a seafood chowder, I throw them in frozen and make sure they boil for a minute or 2

Advertisement