Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registration fee hike for third level expected!

• 31-10-2010 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

RTE is reporting this evening that we can expect a fee hike,so what does everyone think about this can you really afford it ?!!!!!
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1031/fees.html

On average then a 4 year course would cost €12,000 :mad:before any other costs such as accomodation,living expenses,books,food.........etc

So really what other options do we have as leaving cert students???
    Abandon our country & fill out a UCAS form & screw the CAO,as really us the innocent victims of this crisis,are the people who's getting hit the most.

Such a setback is disheartening during a year of such immense pressure already,but having to secure part time work and study now is surely going to affect leaving cert grades aswell.:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

lol, you'll pay far more by the time you're finished going to England than you would paying 3000 here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

The only way going to college in the UK could possibly work out cheaper would be by going to Scotland. And even at that, the difference would be totally insignificant with transport charges, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,492 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Try to get a grant first and foremost. But don't let money discourage you from going into college. Start saving now (if you can).

€3,000 is at the upper end of expectations anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

I'll bet that it goes up to around the 2000 euro mark

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Sure once they don't cut the dole we'll be grand! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

It's fees by another name really.

The government's problem is that raising the registration fee to €2000 won't make hardly any difference. Not that raising it to 3000 will bring in much more money, but something like half of all students in college this year will be getting some portion of the grant. Which means that half of everybody in college don't pay the registration fee. I'd be expecting the threshold for the grant, as well as the amount the grant is worth to be changed too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

pity they dont cut the dole to those who were drawing dole five and six years back and give this money to people who deserve it, like the students. i know a few families in my neighbourhood , one of these cases four offsprings the dad has been drawing dole all his life, the children were reared on the dole, they got free house, then the children did not do leaving cert, daughters got pregnant, never worked still dont, getting allowances, houses, sons became dads, never worked still dont, free housing also, all the allowances, and still notion of working. these are the people that make my blood boil, and of course dad work here and there while still drawing dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

dambarude wrote: »
    It's fees by another name really.

The government's problem is that raising the registration fee to €2000 won't make hardly any difference. Not that raising it to 3000 will bring in much more money, but something like half of all students in college this year will be getting some portion of the grant. Which means that half of everybody in college don't pay the registration fee. I'd be expecting the threshold for the grant, as well as the amount the grant is worth to be changed too.

They would make a far bit it they raised them by just 500, in third level 09/10 there were apporx 158234 students. Take about 30000 for grants etc leaves 128234 which would leave approx 64,117,000 extra for a year. so a total income from reg fees for a year would be :256,468,000 = A heck of a lot of money. Little compared to the billions they owe but its more than nothing and i think students wouldn't mind 500 increase but 1500 is a joke!

To be honest if they just introduce a system like most of the rest of the world where once you leave college (and are working) you start paying back your college fees then that would make more sense.

Advertisement