Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finishing Drylining around sockets and windows

• 31-10-2010 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Need some help please!

I had a very cold room and I have drylined the inside of the two external walls with insulation backed gypsum boards - the job is fairly neat but needs to be tidied up - how do I do the following (or would it be easier to get someone in to plaster the walls and do the following at the same time ?)

a) two double wall plugs in one wall need to be brought "out" to be flush with the new boards
    b) two windows in other wall need to be tidied up - they are just cut out of the boards at the moment
    c) the fixings / joins need to be "filled" in .

Finally, do I need to get it plastered or can I paint/wallpaper on just after putting a primer on - one wall is 3.6 by 2.5 metres and second wall is 4.2 by 2.3 metres

All help appreciated please !

fullirish

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

a) You can buy long screws for this, no need to bring out the box, just the cover

b) you will have to plaster the jamb of the window, or if you have big gaps use a bit of bonding.

c) you could just tape and skim the joints.

But my advise is get in a plasterer for the job given the size, even if you only tape and skim. He/she will do the window jambs then too. If you are planning on papering, definately put a coat of paint on the plasterboard. It will stop it tearing if you ever decide to remove it.

Best of luck anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

fullirish wrote: »
    a) two double wall plugs in one wall need to be brought "out" to be flush with the new boards
    Long machined screws will do the trick alright, provided that you have the cable length in the socket to reach it. If not, thats a whole other kettle of fish
    b) two windows in other wall need to be tidied up - they are just cut out of the boards at the moment
    I'm with harry on this one, you will need to get these plastered, and maybe use some angle bead to keep the edges nice and neat
    c) the fixings / joins need to be "filled" in .
    Scrim tape and a gypsum jointing compound will do the trick, but joints will need to be layered.
    Finally, do I need to get it plastered or can I paint/wallpaper on just after putting a primer on - one wall is 3.6 by 2.5 metres and second wall is 4.2 by 2.3 metres

No reason why you can't do this, but my advise would be to skim the joints and holes first otherwise it'll show up under the paper. Paint the walls with a mix of wallpaper paste first, can be weaker than the normal, otherwise the paste will soak into the wall once you try to hang the paper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

not clear on this by OP
    they are just cut out of the boards at the moment

the reveals of the window need to be insulated, even with 15 or 20 or 25mm composite board and the insulation needs to be rebated at the corner so as to get a good plasterboard corner.

If the OP has cut the composite panel flush with the reveals then it will be tough to do right unless u use a bigger corner bead to span the insulation on the reveals

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭fullirish

Perfect advice thanks, going to take a look at the plugs first with the long screws and then I think I might look for a few plastering quotes....

thanks again
    fullirish

Advertisement