Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on a Gaming Rig for 800 budget

Options
  • 31-10-2010 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Basically im going to be switching my gaming from the PS3 to the PC so i'll need a good spec pc and the old laptop is getting a bit long in the tooth! I don't need keyboard, monitor, mouse and os just the base. I don't think I'd have the patience to build it so is there an option on hardwareversand to get them to build it for you? Also can you pay via PayPal through the website?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

there is an option at the very end of the configurator that is ticked automatically to build your selected for €20
    someone has said that they have paid by Paypal before to them but it cost them 3% of the total cost but i don't know how to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭CapRooney

ok thanks for the info. but could someone please help me pick out some components for me as this is my first time going down this route(always use to go down the dell route when buying pc's)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

800 euro budget is a nice price. Again as I said, for most people 550-650 really is the sweet spot. But hey, who am I to stop a wealthy man :pac:

133244.JPG

Add another 20 euro if you want them to assemble it. I'd recommend you have a go yourself though, more satisfaction and you'll learn far more about PCs that way.

That PC listed there is great. It'll play everything you want maxed out and at a HD resolution (if you have a HD monitor that is. If not it'll still look fantastic anyways, and your PC is somewhat proofed if you decided on a monitor upgrade!)

i appreciate your advice but when i select all the components through the PC Configurator it says i need a CPU fan??? Any suggestions?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

CapRooney wrote: »
    i appreciate your advice but when i select all the components through the PC Configurator it says i need a CPU fan??? Any suggestions?

Shouldn't do, the i5 comes with a stock cooler.

• Advertisement

I was thinking of throwing this in with the bit of money to spare instead:

Gainward GeForce GTX 460 Golden Sample

What ya think or should i upgrade the RAM instead???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I went with the asus direct cu version of the card. It has built in copper pipes which disperse heat away from the card.

All in all that means I can overclock the card from 675mhz to 850mhz on the core, in complete stability whilst never exceeding 60c maxed out, all on stock voltages

cheers for the advice but i'm still relatively new when it comes to building pc and tbh i dont know the first thing bout overclocking cards. can anyone tell/advise me is it worth upgrading to the 2GB card or would i be better off upgrading the RAM or CPU instead???

here i'm going ordering the build that cherryghost recommended to me but the only part out of stock is the antec nine hundred case. can anyone recommend me a similar case?

This is an excellent tower

• Advertisement

thank you cherryghost and its cheaper than the original antec you picked out for me. i'm gonna get them to assemble it for me for the extra 20 euro. thank you once again cherryghost!

No worries, you better post some pictures up, or else :P

will do, stupid question this might be but what voltage of power cord should i get for this so i plug it into the wall? could i get it cheap from ebay?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Like HDMI Cables, it's really important that you go for the most expensive 3-pin plug cord you can find, gold plated with shielding if possible to reduce any possibility of RF intereference...

NOT :p

Power supply will usually come with a plug in the box so I presume they will send that to you if you prebuild, may have issues cause you're ordering from Germany in that you could end up with a 2-pin plug but any old plug will do. (You'll be aiming for 240V ;) )

cool. can anyone recommened me a good gaming keyboard for under €50?

Advertisement