Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get a photographer/press pass to major sporting events?

Options
  • 31-10-2010 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi,

Doe anybody know what its involved in getting a photographer/press pass to major sporting events such as football/hurling matches in Croke Park? Is it a 'closed club' whereby only pro photographers who are connected to established media organizations get these kinds of passes?

I've searched on the websites of the GAA, FAI and IRFU but found nothing on this. Please note that I would be looking to take photos and sell them as part of a business idea I have.

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Patrick M.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

Not a hope unless you have a portfolio and build up a reputation.

GAA - impossible unless you are a recognised photographer for a newspaper/agency

FAI - not as impossible

IRFU - not a chance unless you work for an agency

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 yuting1810

Thanks kensutz,

I guess I should mention that I don't actually want to take the photos of the games and would also prefer to not be pitch-side and be in the stand. Would that change things somewhat?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Your best plan is to contact the relevant organisations (GAA, IRFU, FAI), explain what you want and see what they say.

As Ken explained above, it is not easy at all, and is getting harder and harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

Sportsfile have the contract with the GAA

its them who bring out the book every year "A Season of Sundays"
    I think the first book was 1998 or 97

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

Its not easy, but i email them, and and see how you get on :):)
    Paulw wrote: »
    Your best plan is to contact the relevant organisations (GAA, IRFU, FAI), explain what you want and see what they say.

As Ken explained above, it is not easy at all, and is getting harder and harder.

• Advertisement

Don't know anything about them, but I would imagine that you'd need some kind of sporting-orientated portfolio before you even bother contacting them?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

sounds like he wants to photo the fans and sell to them. You'll also need to put some banner up not sure he they'll go for it

ted1 wrote: »
    sounds like he wants to photo the fans and sell to them.

That's what I thought too. Don't think it'd be a runner though. People can bring their own cameras anyway, can't they? I often see photos of people at such games on facebook and such. Don't really think anyone would pay for a photo of them sitting amongst a crowd of people, cheering, or such.

Don't know anything about them, but I would imagine that you'd need some kind of sporting-orientated portfolio before you even bother contacting them?

A portfolio will mean nothing to the associations. They will only issue a press pass to ... well ... press, or those with an outlet for the images.

The GAA will only entertain you if you are an accredited press photographer for a recognised media outlet.

The IRFU are very similar.

The FAI are less strict, but again, you must have some link to the FAI or a recognised media outlet behind you.

There are a number of people here on boards who shoot at these events, and access was generally hard earned.

But, in saying that, if you want to shoot for a specific purpose, there is no harm in contacting them, outlining what you want, and see what happens. At worst they just say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

yuting1810 wrote: »
    Hi,

Doe anybody know what its involved in getting a photographer/press pass to major sporting events such as football/hurling matches in Croke Park? Is it a 'closed club' whereby only pro photographers who are connected to established media organizations get these kinds of passes?

I've searched on the websites of the GAA, FAI and IRFU but found nothing on this. Please note that I would be looking to take photos and sell them as part of a business idea I have.

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Patrick M.

for definate the GAA and IRFU would definately not allow this - the FAI are more lenient but lets face it..... ALL the organisations will or should at least ask .... what's in it for them ?

the IRFU are very specific about the use of images taken at Rugby matches

the GAA dont even allow you to photograph the crowd when you are inside (on the pitch) ...according to the rules they issue press photographers with (I know its done anyway)

The FAI with all due respect to them - is a badly organised machine.

Personally I have photographed using all three organisations - while getting passes is difficult - its not impossible (It does sometimes require contacts in the media)

if you are intent on selling to members of the public you had better forget about it - anything you attempt will only give the idea to INPHO/SPORTSFILE - which will quickly take your concept/idea and if its a profitable one - use their staff to replicate the idea and use their contacts to restrict your access.....why do you need to do it on the bigger stages - is it not possible to do it at grass roots (local club level - check if its possible to make money from it)

making members of the public pay for images is a difficult task....I've been taking pics at Schoolboy soccer games for over 6yrs - everytime I get asked by a parent if they can get a copy of the pics I tell them no problem - but you'll have to pay .... they usually either back away or say "ah sure its only an email - you can email them on !!" ..... my response generally is "the only email I'm sending is the one thats paying for my camera gear !"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

For the FAI a good way to get press access is to try and get in with Extratime.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

PCPhoto wrote: »
    for definate the GAA and IRFU would definately not allow this - the FAI are more lenient but lets face it..... ALL the organisations will or should at least ask .... what's in it for them ?

the IRFU are very specific about the use of images taken at Rugby matches

the GAA dont even allow you to photograph the crowd when you are inside (on the pitch) ...according to the rules they issue press photographers with (I know its done anyway)

The FAI with all due respect to them - is a badly organised machine.

Personally I have photographed using all three organisations - while getting passes is difficult - its not impossible (It does sometimes require contacts in the media)

if you are intent on selling to members of the public you had better forget about it - anything you attempt will only give the idea to INPHO/SPORTSFILE - which will quickly take your concept/idea and if its a profitable one - use their staff to replicate the idea and use their contacts to restrict your access.....why do you need to do it on the bigger stages - is it not possible to do it at grass roots (local club level - check if its possible to make money from it)

making members of the public pay for images is a difficult task....I've been taking pics at Schoolboy soccer games for over 6yrs - everytime I get asked by a parent if they can get a copy of the pics I tell them no problem - but you'll have to pay .... they usually either back away or say "ah sure its only an email - you can email them on !!" ..... my response generally is "the only email I'm sending is the one thats paying for my camera gear !"

Yeah people just come up and say things like "Can you throw all those photos onto a CD for me? Cheers" Quite irritating really...I am surprised at how people expect sports photos for nothing but it is quite a common occurence really.

Do you think the stranglehold that the agencies have on sports photography will change? Its a shame that it is so hard to get access to these venues for doing sports photography.

tororosso wrote: »
    Do you think the stranglehold that the agencies have on sports photography will change?

It's just business. They're out there trying to make money, so I can't see it changing. They are trying to grow their business and also protect it as best they can from anyone else getting it.

You just have to try and find a niche or a way in to compete against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Paulw wrote: »
    It's just business. They're out there trying to make money, so I can't see it changing. They are trying to grow their business and also protect it as best they can from anyone else getting it.

You just have to try and find a niche or a way in to compete against them.

like gaining exclusive rights to one of the lesser known sports and watching it grow - making a relationship with the main committee and governing body and getting them to contract you to cover the finals/semi-finals... and team/squad photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 yuting1810

Thanks PCPhoto for some astute advice. I've talked this over with my business partner, (who was actually fortunate enough to be the Denver Bronco's photographer in their game at Wembley a few weeks back) and we see the fact that we couldn't stop an agency from pushing us out and denying us access to the games as an idea killer. Never fear though, we have plenty more non-photography ideas knocking around.

thanks to all for some very useful replies, I've been on about 20 discussion boards in my life and this is the most helpful to date.

Y

Advertisement