Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stress leave

Options
  • 31-10-2010 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

My partner has been off from work with stress and anxiey for the past 6 weeks. Her employers have been pretty good about it, just asking that she bring a cert every week. The thing is the doctor won't write certs for much longer because she won't take any of the prescrptions he is suggesting and she doesnt want to be reffered on for counselling. She will lose her social welfare payments, but she really does not feel ready to go back to work. They have said that they will keep her job open for the forseeable future, but to be honest she'd be better off if they would just let her go. Sometimes I feel like shaking her and telling her to cop on and get on with it but I know that would make things worse. We are really going to be strapped for cash soon as we basically lived on what she brought in, as I am still paying my ex husband money I owe him. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Why does she not want to take the medication???

Would she change doctor?? (Maybe hearing it from someone else might help?)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

She won't take meds and doesn't want referrals..... what does she want?

There's nothing you can do here tbh. Just try and be supportive and hope that her employers will take her back when she's ready.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

To be honest I can see the doctor's point... Turning up with a problem looking for certs but refusing help doesn't look good and will wear thin real quick...

If she really wanted resolution she would try anything to move forward..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 sack95

a Friend suggested that she might want her employers to let her go so that going on the dole would be easier, but I don't think anyone could turn that lazy overnight, her job was getting a little more stressful and she would sometimes say she was sick of it, but I think everyone has those days. I know I do. I might try and talk her into getting a second opinion, if another doctor comes up with the same solution, maybe she'll listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

6 weeks is a long time to be off if it was just the usual stress that get s to us all. It sounds a bit more serious than that. The doctor is right,if she wont take the meds or speak with someone then his hands are tied. He cant keep excusing her. Could she be depressed?? Depression is tough going,and often the sufferer doesn't realise that they are depressed.

I dont think a second opinion will make much of a difference,either its acknowledge that there is a problem or go back to work(or quit work). Unfortunately thats the harsh reality of the situation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement