Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Printing large panoramic pic. Appropriate size for rez?

• 31-10-2010 9:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭

I have a large panoramic pic I took on holidays. I have created it using photoshop elements that came with my laptop. It can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/theirishgrover/5132708804/sizes/l/in/photostream/

The resolution is 6437 X 1973. When I really zoom in the photo begins to blur (It was a night shot)

Can anyone recommend the largest pic size I should order for this given the resolution etc?

Thanks for the help folks. Photo newbie really

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

At a guess I would say 54.5cm x 16.5cm ( 21.5 inches x 6.5 inches.
    But confirm that with some of the other users on here .
    stcstc is a printer who will give you more professional advice, pm him on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I wouldn't go beyond 42.91 inches (109cm) by 13.15 inches (33.4 cm)

Going this large would put you at 150dpi based on your original file. I would probably upsample it from the size you have it on to 250-300dpi, then apply sharpening to the image. (You don't want it to be sharpened before you have it at your print resolution.. so if you've sharpened it already.. don't bother upsampling nor downsampling it, just change the print resolution to 150dpi)

If you're getting it printed somewhere.. I'd recommend a lab where you can go in and and a half-size print of it done. (that would be 300dpi, but it would give you an idea of how much detail, if any, will be lost in the darkest areas of the image.)

To what degree people will notice "blurriness" is dependent on how far away they are when viewing the image, and for an image 3.5 feet wide, viewing distance is probably going to be several feet away.. so I don't think it'll be an issue. Looked at on my monitor at 1:1 from 2.5 feet away it looks good. There's definitely some softness to it due to there being some REALLY REALLY bright lights in it, but I think it looks pretty awesome. (There's also some serious halo'ing around red lights and such in the image.. but again.. I don't think anyone viewing this from a "normal" distance is going to really notice those.)

Nice image.. I really like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jaybeeveedub

I'd pop in to photocare if you're looking to get panoramas printed I have used them for sizes up to 1.5m x 6m for panoramas and they are excellent, with a great selection of media for printing onto (they're on middle abbey street) as for size... what format are the images you stitched captured in...

If you're really happy with your image and are going to spend a few quid getting it printed you might consider using a program like panoramafactory (which is pretty cheap) and if you captured in raw then upsampling in the raw dialog before stitching... I managed to get a perfectly acceptable result (from 2 feet) this way using a single 1ds image printed to 1.2m x 4m...

as previously said, your printer will help you get the most from your image if you go to the right place....

I've also heard good things about fire...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Hey folks, thanks for all the info. I brought in the original .tiff file (after saving it @244ppi. A slightly different version of the one online) into a framing place I've used before. (First time for photo though). The .tiff file was about 355megs :O :) The photographer recommended 314 (I think) ppi for large size. I'm getting it printed to 1M and I think the aspect ratio makes it about 30cm high. With border it adds about 24cm H and 27cm V. At this size the pic seems to be pretty good. Any higher of course and the artefacts start showing a lot more. Still, happy with me first attempt with a borrowed 5 yearold camera.

Will let ye know ow I get on when I get it back next week

Advertisement