Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I think I'm being treated unfairly in work

Options
  • 31-10-2010 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

hey so i'll try to keep this short. basically i'm having some issues with a person in work. i recently started working in a customer service based area. one man, who i didn't even know the name of until a few days ago, has been making some unprofessional comments towards me, in front of customers and in front of other staff. the thing is, i think that what he is saying are things that are said in a way that cannot be construed as 'bullying,' although other staff members i have spoken to about this have said he's bullying me.

he basically insults how i speak when i talk to customers (i speak well and am quite articulate to be honest), he says that i am scaring the customers off when i call 'next please,' or 'hi, can i help you?' i kind of laughed those off, although it was really annoying me, but the other day he made a comment, repeatedly, about how 'you must love burgers' while staring at my body, clearly indicating that he was commenting on my weight as i am a size 16. he said the 'you love burgers' thing about ten times over, while laughing at me.

i got quite upset at this, but said nothing as i didn't want any hassle. one of the ladies i work with told the manager though, another staff member backed her up about it so now my manager wants to talk to me about it. i know that i'll have to tell the manager exactly what's been said because i can't say that it didn't happen now, but surely they're taking it too seriously? i mean, it's only one or two comments each day and although it is really annoying me and upsetting me, surely he'll be able to pass it off as 'banter,' even though it's clear that we're not friends? plus, the main manager is friends with him and he's leaving anyway, so i just don't think it's worth it.

so i guess i'm wondering a few things -

1. is it wrong, or am i being overly sensitive not liking him insulting my accent, my appearance and the like?

2. should i even bother to take the complaint further when he's friends with the manager and is leaving or transferring or something anyway?

3. won't i just be seen as a trouble maker for bringing it up (even though it was two other staff members who reported it, who also have issues with him over something else)?

i don't want to be seen as a trouble maker and i'm pretty sure he'll just try to pass it off as banter, even though i have several staff members to back me up that he was insulting me, not joking.
    sorry for the lack of capitalization, my shift key is broken.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Fair play to you for not loosing it with him. I would have gone through him for a short cut.

The fact your workmates stood up for you speaks volumes in many different way. I would ride on the tails of this if your manager says anything, as in his behaviour obviously upsets them too.

You definitely need to say something though.

Ask the manager what does he feel is acceptable behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Moved from PI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

ill keep it short

thats bullying in its complete form.

work away with the complaint it sounds like that person has little or no support within the company.

from now on take notes of times and dates and whats said and names of possible withnesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I agree take notes.

He needs to stop treating you like this and making those comments.

You are not being a troublemaker. This man is - trouble for himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 yours

A couple of times a day! that is definately not banter. The remarks about your weight, that is just awful. And also is very devious of him to put it into that context thinking he can hide what he is doing, this is how most bullying works especially when you are unsure, but I can tell you this is definately bullying.

The HSA "Workplace bullying behaviour, which is repeated, whether verbal, physical or otherwise, conducted by one or more people, at the place of work, if it is undermining the individual’s right to dignity while they work is considered to be bullying"

I have studied this area and I have to deal with this in work if it arises.
    The health and safety authority have a lot of information on bullying and harrassment at work, its defo worth a read and they can help you make a complaint.

Read the HSA's policy on this, not sure how to send the link, so i will paste it here for you,

http://www.hsa.ie/eng/Topics/Bullying_at_Work/Bullying_Employee_Perspective/

Definately write everything down. Fair play to your workmates, your very lucky to be working with people like that, and they have done the hardest part for you for drawing the attention.

It does not matter if he is leaving, he should be thought a lesson by this so he wont do it to someone else.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Whether you're being bullied or harrassed is up to you. It is determined by how you feel about the behaviour not how the bully feels, he/she may feel it's a bit of crack but that doesn't matter.. If you're feeling bullied then your are..

Bring this to your manager and all the better if you can get a co-worker to suppport you.. As said document everything..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 yours

it is how it makes you feel, although if it didnt annoy you, it obviously would not be something to make you feel bad and effect how you work.

The HSA link posted, gives examples, behaviours of people being bullied or harassed.

In your case it gives some very valuable information and how you feel.

It also gives examples of bullying and examples of what is and what is not bullying, it is a very complex nature and your case has most of the criteria I am afraid!

Advertisement