Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy Kids vs Night shift workers

Options
  • 31-10-2010 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Hi guys/gals...

I can normally sleep pretty well after doing a night shift. Today, I couldnt do so because of the kid next door and his mates.

I got into bed around 9 am, fell asleep only to be woken around 2 hours later by the kid next door and his mates as they were kicking a tin can up and down the road outside my house and screaming, shouting and laughing. Thought it might end after an hour, but no. So I sent an sms to his dad asking if they could pipe down a little as I only had two hours sleep at that stage. No chance of that! They kept on at the shouting and roaring... so I had to go downstairs, speak with the lad in question and ask him to try and be quiet or go elsewhere if possible. A few minutes later his mother knocked on the door giving out to me for telling her son to keep quiet, and that they had every right to play outside.

I have no problem with kids being kids, and playing outside - however, when you have a boisterous group of lads around 14 years of age - they aren't playing as quietly as the parents might think.

What should I do to address this?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Buy some earplugs and quit whining. If it was 4am or something like that I might understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Invest in some earplugs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

deravarra wrote: »

Get a day job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

You can't expect kids to play quietly outdoors during the day for the sake of one night-shift worker - the majority of people work during the day and sleep during the night, and that's unfortunately what most people are going to live their lives by. It sucks, but majority rules. You might have recourse if it was 2am but not at all at 2pm. If it gets really bad, consider moving somewhere quieter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Hi guys/gals...

I can normally sleep pretty well after doing a night shift. Today, I couldnt do so because of the kid next door and his mates.

I got into bed around 9 am, fell asleep only to be woken around 2 hours later by the kid next door and his mates as they were kicking a tin can up and down the road outside my house and screaming, shouting and laughing. Thought it might end after an hour, but no. So I sent an sms to his dad asking if they could pipe down a little as I only had two hours sleep at that stage. No chance of that! They kept on at the shouting and roaring... so I had to go downstairs, speak with the lad in question and ask him to try and be quiet or go elsewhere if possible. A few minutes later his mother knocked on the door giving out to me for telling her son to keep quiet, and that they had every right to play outside.

I have no problem with kids being kids, and playing outside - however, when you have a boisterous group of lads around 14 years of age - they aren't playing as quietly as the parents might think.

Buy ear plugs? The children have every right to be loud and boisterous, there is no law requiring people to be quiet during the middle of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Go out and do the same at 3am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Willie Stroker

maybe the mother read the fathers text .. and got jealous :rolleyes: look outside with a phone in your hand and they will think you are ring the guards !
    edit :
    Read the OP wrong ... haha tough luck - be lucky you have a job and stop complaining !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

So, essentially, the OP is asking....

"Why can't the world be quiet during the day, when I'm asleep?"

I'm sure even he / she can see the stupidity of that question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Here you go http://www.movingsoundtech.com/

zap the pests :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭deravarra

So, essentially, the OP is asking....

"Why can't the world be quiet during the day, when I'm asleep?"

I'm sure even he / she can see the stupidity of that question.

I can see the stupidity of your reply ...

I not asking the world to be quiet, dont be so silly.

What I didnt like is a constant 2 hour tin kicking and screaming match outside my window.

Maybe you would be more accomodating to them ...

• Advertisement

Buy ear plugs? The children have every right to be loud and boisterous, there is no law requiring people to be quiet during the middle of the day.

Yes, of course they do. Like I have the right to make loads of noise at 8am during the summer - but I didnt, because I knew the family liked their lie on in the morning.

Maybe it would be asking too much to consider others ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

If you've been doing night shifts a while then you should really have a pair of earplugs mate.
    They're not expensive

Caliden wrote: »
    If you've been doing night shifts a while then you should really have a pair of earplugs mate.
    They're not expensive

Maybe screaming is acceptable?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Move out to the country (and eat me a lot of peaches).:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

As someone who worked nights for three years, I sympathise. I remember kids running around outside screaming and me cursing a chap who was mowing his lawn at one in the afternoon just because I'd only gotten to bed at 11:30. But there's nothing that you can do. Get heavier curtains and some earplugs. If it gets worse, consider getting a new job or moving.

Dudess wrote: »
    You can't expect kids to play quietly outdoors during the day for the sake of one night-shift worker - the majority of people work during the day and sleep during the night, and that's unfortunately what most people are going to live their lives by. It sucks, but majority rules. You might have recourse if it was 2am but not at all at 2pm. If it gets really bad, consider moving somewhere quieter.

I wouldnt object to normal noise ... but kicking a tin can around and screaming for two hours is not play. it's aggravated annoyance. Even if I wasnt trying to sleep, I'd certainly be asking them to move on elsewhere!

If it gets worse, consider getting a new job or moving.

Yep - loads of jobs out there right now, and houses very cheap. not locked into any mortgage or anything.

Buy some earplugs and quit whining. If it was 4am or something like that I might understand.

So, you think it normal for kids to be screaming outside a house for two hours non stop?

Are you a Dub by any chance? If so, I understand your thick reply

Get a day job.

Yes - loads of work out there at the moment, isnt there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

What I didnt like is a constant 2 hour tin kicking and screaming match outside my window.

tb fair I think most who would be at home during the day would be a little peeved with this, and Im sure a few would even go out and say "go up the road and play" NIMBY ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I usually Find Waving the gun around keeps them quiet....

Serriously tho. i work nights. Earplugs are a godsend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I can sympathise, having worked nights in London - though I began to find the noise of the traffic therapeutic after a while! But the sounds you describe are very irritating.

I'm sure you've checked this out but is there a room in a different part of the house where you mightn't be within earshot of the children playing?

Or could you play a CD which will drown out the noise outside?

If it's any consolation, they'll be back at school Tuesday!

I usually Find Waving the gun around keeps them quiet....

Serriously tho. i work nights. Earplugs are a godsend

Normally, these neighbours are grand. always had great time for them, and would have done anything for them. but this was crap this morning. it wasnt as if they needed to be right there at that time playing that noisy game for two hours, and then continue on once they knew i was knackered

kelle wrote: »
    I can sympathise, having worked nights in London - though I began to find the noise of the traffic therapeutic after a while! But the sounds you describe are very irritating.

I'm sure you've checked this out but is there a room in a different part of the house where you mightn't be within earshot of the children playing?

Or could you play a CD which will drown out the noise outside?

If it's any consolation, they'll be back at school Tuesday!

the only rooms are either to their adjoing front or back - so the kids are either out the front or the back. cant really tell them to stop playing in their own back yard ...

Always have the radio on ... do find it grand most of the time. even the loudest passing sounds are fine. quick wake up and back to sleep again. thats normal.

this morning was far from normal. it was quite inconsiderate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

this morning was far from normal. it was quite inconsiderate.
    They were probably hyper from all the trick or treating "treats"!

kelle wrote: »
    They were probably hyper from all the trick or treating "treats"!

No, they were just being pr**ks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

So, you think it normal for kids to be screaming outside a house for two hours non stop?

Are you a Dub by any chance? If so, I understand your thick reply

So you came on here looking for sympathy, and when none was forecoming you decide to attack the posters. Well done.

Expecting children to tip toe around their house on their holidays because you were on a night shift is a bit much. Let them play their games, they're only having fun. As I said, buy ear plugs.

So you came on here looking for sympathy, and when none was forecoming you decide to attack the posters. Well done.

Expecting children to tip toe around their house on their holidays because you were on a night shift is a bit much. Let them play their games, they're only having fun. As I said, buy ear plugs.

I dont expect children to tiptoe. In fact, I have never complained once before today - in all the 11 years i have been doing nightshift. Just today. I have never needed earplugs before now...

I wasnt looking for sympathy - I was looking for considered response, and for the most all I got was some numpties having a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

No, they were just being pr**ks

just like you are being now, the are kids you are an adult or maby not!

• Advertisement

hondasam wrote: »
    just like you are being now, the are kids you are an adult or maby not!

just like I am being? Highlighting an issue, then having to defend myself makes me one?

So, if the kids next door to you decide to have an all nighter and wake your kids up at all hours - will you come back here and say "ah sure they are only kids?" I dont think so...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement