Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medius Prepaid Mastercard

Options
  • 31-10-2010 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭

Anyone got one of these? They seem to be pitched at the Irish market. €39 per year too but looks interesting considering they are saying it is indistinguishable from a Credit Card.

https://www.mediuscard.com/IE_en

A google turned up very little other than they seem to be of German origin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

39 euros is very steep considering neteller do a pre paid master card that too is indistinguishable from a credit card. I suppose the medius would be a good alternative if you were to be doing a large amount of online shopping as there are no lodgement fees. However for someone who would only be using it infrequently I'd stick with neteller or another prepaid mastercard operator. I do like the gold coloured medius mastercard design though!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Gonna keep an eye on this for the next while, still very early days but I figure the more Prepay card options we have, the better tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 davidcg

I ordered one of these two months ago. They said 8 - 10 days for delivery. When it hadn't materialised after a month I emailed them back and they said it probably got lost in the post!! So ... they said they would send me another one ... and a month has passed and still no joy! Im kind of worried because they have my bank account information!

If I were anyone else on here I wouldn't chance them until someone posts that they have received the card ... could be a total scam! Ive reported them to the police who are going to investigate if they are legitimate.

David

• Registered Users Posts: 5 AngelineD

I ordered one nearly 2 weeks ago and received it yesterday. Its the Gold one, looks nice, but havnt done anything with it yet. With the card the instructions are to activate it first by logging into their website and entering in security details and card no etc, then they will email your pin and then the fun bit, which i never realised when signing up is you have to charge the card with Eur 79.80 within 14 days of receipt. All seems legit, however there is no info on the company in the letter accompanying the card, so still a bit dubious. I`d imagine it would be a very elaborate scam going to all the trouble of actually printing out cards. One thing though I was never asked any really private info, such as my bank account details. Just thought id say hello and put my 2c in:)

AngelineD wrote: »
    I ordered one nearly 2 weeks ago and received it yesterday. Its the Gold one, looks nice, but havnt done anything with it yet. With the card the instructions are to activate it first by logging into their website and entering in security details and card no etc, then they will email your pin and then the fun bit, which i never realised when signing up is you have to charge the card with Eur 79.80 within 14 days of receipt. All seems legit, however there is no info on the company in the letter accompanying the card, so still a bit dubious. I`d imagine it would be a very elaborate scam going to all the trouble of actually printing out cards. One thing though I was never asked any really private info, such as my bank account details. Just thought id say hello and put my 2c in:)
    I did read about that €79 charge on their site, cant remember what it's for but something about 2 subscriptions up front or something to that effect. Seems like a very big hurdle to climb over before even getting to use the card.

For that reason I can see a lot of people passing on it tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

I'm really starting to run out of patience with Medius, I've got the card, they have no bank in Ireland that deals with uploading funds, so that involves an IBAN transaction to a bank in Germany.

Also they have no info on their website that I can find anyway, that deals with card limits. Does anyone know what the upload limits are for the normal Medius card???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sagirl123

Hiya

This is a pre-paid credit card, which means it can only be used if you deposit monies into it, in advance. For example, if you need to book a holiday or accommodation online and they only accept credit cards, you can put the monies into this credit card and utilise it, on-line.

There are various ways to make deposits, go onto the medius website and they explain everything in detail. IT IS LEGIT AND GERMANY ORIGIN - upfront cost of €79-80 which is made up of your annual card fee and delivery cost for credit card to be posted to you. I have one for emergencies, and like now, for online Xmas shopping:)

I do my deposit through internet banking - international transfer, no transfer fees, from Ireland to Germany, as it is in the Euro currency. It takes between 2 and 4 days. They will send you an email, confirming acceptance of your payment

• Registered Users Posts: 21 maybebabie

I've been using this one and it's great. For an inital €6 to order your card, either online or at a payzone outlet, you get an upload card that you use to deposit your cash at payzone outlets, and also a card that looks, and is used, like a normal mastercard credit card. Ok, it has a €3.50 upload fee but for infrequent use it's perfect and very worth it in my opinion. The only snag is, not every payzone outlet does this mastercard upload, even though they advertise the pink payzone sign. It took me a while of asking around to find two shops that do it. Also, on a good note for a change, using a prepaid credit card like this one, Ryanair doesn't charge an add-on of €10 fee on return flights! All in all I love it and would recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cliff271

I was so foolish to get one of these cards first you have to pay the outragious fee of 80 euro to start off that goes through no problems its when you want to put money on for yourself its a joke. when i first signed up for one i sould have saw the first clue the t&cs are in germen. on the website they go on about how easy it is and you can transfer money in seconds which is a pure lie i transfered 550 euro got an e-mail 2 days later telling me my money has been frozen and i have to end them copies of my passport and gas bil and the funds will be released right away so i sent them no responce sent them again no responce and again no responce so went back onto the website asked them where my money was they sent me an email back to say they had just recieved my details and my money will now be released in 4 to 6 days ( thats if i believe them now which i dont) i had put this money on to pay the remainder of a holiday as the website said the money would be at my disposal straight away hassel free well that was three weeks ago and im loosing any hope of ever seeing the money again ITS A SCAM DONT DO IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Ehm most banks are swapping laser cards for visa debit cards, get one of them ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

there are FAR better options than the Medius card. The charge you for everything!!!! For purchases, for loading, for withdrawing and a yearly charge. Its a complete rip off. There are cards with a 10e yearly cards and ones that are free from admin charges altogether.

cliff271 wrote: »
    I was so foolish to get one of these cards first you have to pay the outragious fee of 80 euro to start off that goes through no problems its when you want to put money on for yourself its a joke. when i first signed up for one i sould have saw the first clue the t&cs are in germen. on the website they go on about how easy it is and you can transfer money in seconds which is a pure lie i transfered 550 euro got an e-mail 2 days later telling me my money has been frozen and i have to end them copies of my passport and gas bil and the funds will be released right away so i sent them no responce sent them again no responce and again no responce so went back onto the website asked them where my money was they sent me an email back to say they had just recieved my details and my money will now be released in 4 to 6 days ( thats if i believe them now which i dont) i had put this money on to pay the remainder of a holiday as the website said the money would be at my disposal straight away hassel free well that was three weeks ago and im loosing any hope of ever seeing the money again ITS A SCAM DONT DO IT.

They are a complete rip off. I can't advise people enough NOT to touch them. There are SO many better options out there than this heap of sh1te!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MikeTheHague

I have had their card (the black one) for about 9 months. I have uploaded money to it (over E2000) and had no problems. Do they have fees? YES! That is how they make money. I think they are reasonable. If you don't, then get a "traditional" card.

They are not scammers.

M Hackett
    The Netherlands

I have had their card (the black one) for about 9 months. I have uploaded money to it (over E2000) and had no problems. Do they have fees? YES! That is how they make money. I think they are reasonable. If you don't, then get a "traditional" card.

They are not scammers.

M Hackett
    The Netherlands

No, they are not scammers, but they are a pretty expensive option in comparison to other prepaid cards that are also available all over europe!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭foreversky

have ths card since november.no problems.money in card after bout 6 days.handy as a bk up card

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭cat_rant

Hi Guys,

I don't have a Medius card. But I am aware of them in a professional capacity. The only thing I can say is that their customer service is reported to be very bad. They dont handle phone calls or walk in enquiries for their Irish based customers and from what I understand don't handle their web enquiries in a timely fashion. Just something to consider might be better looking at something like the 02 money card.... or V3 cards

luckly i havet had any problems so far:).but i mite cancel later in year.it will be fun finding the address that u have to send letter if u want to cancel card

got have 02 card recently:D

cat_rant wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I don't have a Medius card. But I am aware of them in a professional capacity. The only thing I can say is that their customer service is reported to be very bad. They dont handle phone calls or walk in enquiries for their Irish based customers and from what I understand don't handle their web enquiries in a timely fashion. Just something to consider might be better looking at something like the 02 money card.... or V3 cards

Yep, I heard their customer services aren't great! Aside from the fact that when I check them out (a year or so ago), their fees were extortionate in comparison to Neteller and Moneybookers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sleepinglion

Hi guys.
    I applied for the medius card some weeks ago.When I got email that I must send my IDs i.e. passport info page,driver licence,gas/water bill,etc.I didn't reply to this and already forgot about the application.Then after some days again,I got an email that my application has been approved and they have sent my card.
    Again after some days of receiving the card,i didn't have time to activate it as I don't have any 80 euros.Then I got another emails asking me to activate my card online.
    But after activated the card online,I still didn't transfer any more on it.then after 2 weeks I got a letter from medius card threatening me with their expensive lawyers,their collection companies and bailiffs.
    Right now I don't know what to do.since I have activated the card online.
    I don't know if they can go up to this length of sending threat emails to me.

this is the copy of their letter below:::
    This is a further attempt to establish contact with you. Unfortunately you have not responded to our last e-mail and not yet carried out your first MEDIUS Prepaid MasterCard payment in the amount of at least EUR 79.80. We are always happy to discuss the matter with you, but this requires you to participate! Contact us and we will find a solution.

At this point we would like to remind you that there is a yearly fee of EUR 39.90 for your card account, which in the first year is collected along with a one-time issue fee of EUR 39.90 following receipt of your card at the moment of your first top-up. Further information on this subject is available at www.mediuscard.com under "Prices" and can be found at any time in our Terms and Conditions.

MediusCard AG is run as a professional business. In order to ensure the future of the company and our own employment, we are dependent on our clients to pay their bills.

Your behaviour forces us to take steps which should in fact not be necessary. Do we really have to employ expensive lawyers to protect our interests? Do you want to add hundreds of Euros of costs to the existing fees, which you will eventually have to pay?

Contact us now!

You may pay into your card account via bank transfer, cash payment, GiroPay or DIRECTebanking, or via Paysafecard or Ukash.

Further information is available at www.mediuscard.com in the online section of your card account under "Load Funds", or directly at www.medius.mycarddata.com.

Please be aware that, in seven days, we will forward the claim to a collections company. This will result in further costs to you of hundreds of Euros, as well as to measures such as collections by bailiffs, garnishment of pay and even bankruptcy.

Surely this is not necessary?

Do not hesitate to contact us if you have questions. We are at your disposal.

when i got my card last november .had to top up within 2 weeks.read somewhere they do ask for id sometimes.didt for me

a bit harsh sending a threating letter.if u have the the money now cud u transfer the money .i transfer from bank of ireland takes 6 days.

sorry if no help

• Advertisement

That's the most poorly worded email I think I've seen from what is purporting to be a "professional business" :rolleyes:

I'd tell them to get stuffed personally...threatening bailiffs and lawyers for a €79 bill?? I don't think so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

Net-teller prepaid master card works just as well as a medius and doesnt have any of those hefty charges!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 johnharvey

Sounds to good to be true then there is always a sting in the tail, i just got the sting, had a card for a while things going ok, found a better mastercard deal, so i decided to close account.States no problem you can do this at any time, i have been try to close my account for about 4 weeks but getting the run around. Support if you are lucky takes 7 days to reply thats if they reply. phoned different numbers always engaged tone, when you get some one to talk to they only speak german need i say any more. My advice give them a wide berth, not worth the aggro.

johnharvey wrote: »
    Sounds to good to be true then there is always a sting in the tail, i just got the sting, had a card for a while things going ok, found a better mastercard deal, so i decided to close account.States no problem you can do this at any time, i have been try to close my account for about 4 weeks but getting the run around. Support if you are lucky takes 7 days to reply thats if they reply. phoned different numbers always engaged tone, when you get some one to talk to they only speak german need i say any more. My advice give them a wide berth, not worth the aggro.

I've read that about them too! I thought about getting on, but the cost involved is too high for me. Moneybookers only charge 10e and Neteller is free and it does the exact same thing...

Advertisement