Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red well-done steaks?

Options
  • 31-10-2010 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

Myself and my wife never go to restaurants, sometimes eat carverys alright but its probably 15 years since we sat down to eat at a table in a proper restaurant. So today we decided to bring our two girls (9 and 10) to a local place for her birthday.

Herself ordered a well-done 8oz fillet steak and I a salmon and mashed potatoe dish. The kids got their comfort food and it was served good and early so that it didnt interfere with our main course.

The salmon was fine, sitting on a well hidden mound of mash, with nothing else but sauce on the plate, no veg.

The steak looked great, was cooked right through....almost because when she flipped it over to look at the bottom, it was red! This wasnt noticed at first because you dont normally flip steaks over do you. By the time the busy girl had a chance to catch a glance over at us, I had got well over halfway through my meal, and the rest of my wifes meal would have been getting colder. They took the steak and co. back in to the kitchen only to come back out and try to convince us that it was cooked well through, twice. By this time, I was finished so my wife said, 'just give me a plate of chips' which we got in no time.

That was it really, except for when I went to pay the waiter tried to convince me again that it was well-done. He didnt charge me for it. But what is the norm, surely a well-done steak has no redness, especially on the outside, whatever about in the middle. Do we need to go back into hibernation??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,227 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It was probably the way it was cooked or what it was cooked in, Was the steak cooked, an uncooked stake is blue. Doesn't sound blue.

Oh and a well done steak is a crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

if it was cooked right through to your wife's satisfaction then i can't imagine how it would have been red at the bottom. how do you cook a steak so that it's well done in the middle and rare on the outside?
    you should have taken a photo!

Might have picked you up wrong, Red as in stained or Red as in Raw meat?

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

I understand the blue steak thing, this was I would have to agree a well-done steak from the top thru the middle and down to the bottom 5mm which was red. They obviously didnt turn it so what way of cooking would that be? grill? But grill or pan, if I was cooking a steak on a pan say, I would have turned it immediately to seal in the flavour thereby taking the red look off it too, but they didnt do that did they?

A well done steak isnt a crime, herself is fairly squeamish. I'm not a bit squeamish but I prefer well-done myself. I love the taste, the smell, and the flavour of well-cooked beef.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Drake66

JMSE wrote: »
    Myself and my wife never go to restaurants, sometimes eat carverys alright but its probably 15 years since we sat down to eat at a table in a proper restaurant. So today we decided to bring our two girls (9 and 10) to a local place for her birthday.

Herself ordered a well-done 8oz fillet steak and I a salmon and mashed potatoe dish. The kids got their comfort food and it was served good and early so that it didnt interfere with our main course.

The salmon was fine, sitting on a well hidden mound of mash, with nothing else but sauce on the plate, no veg.

The steak looked great, was cooked right through....almost because when she flipped it over to look at the bottom, it was red! This wasnt noticed at first because you dont normally flip steaks over do you. By the time the busy girl had a chance to catch a glance over at us, I had got well over halfway through my meal, and the rest of my wifes meal would have been getting colder. They took the steak and co. back in to the kitchen only to come back out and try to convince us that it was cooked well through, twice. By this time, I was finished so my wife said, 'just give me a plate of chips' which we got in no time.

That was it really, except for when I went to pay the waiter tried to convince me again that it was well-done. He didnt charge me for it. But what is the norm, surely a well-done steak has no redness, especially on the outside, whatever about in the middle. Do we need to go back into hibernation??

Doesn't matter what the wait staff thought. If you didn't think it was the way you ordered it, they should of cooked it until it was. You are paying for the service after all. Doesn't sound like a great kitchen imo.

• Advertisement

I would have turned it immediately to seal in the flavour thereby taking the red look off it too, but they didnt do that did they?

I do the same, I presume most would, I can't believe it wasn't cooked on one side. I'd be pretty annoyed about that, I got a blue steak a few months back, it was well cooked on the outside. I got about half way through but it turned out to be be horrible, I sent it back but the chef never done anything. We payed for my OH's meal but not mine.

I'd recommend a trip to fx buckleys, just the 2 of ye. They've an all day meal deal which is great Value, I think you both deserve a good steak cooked properly for you.

RGDATA! wrote: »
    if it was cooked right through to your wife's satisfaction then i can't imagine how it would have been red at the bottom. how do you cook a steak so that it's well done in the middle and rare on the outside?
    you should have taken a photo!

No I wouldnt have taken a photo because at that stage we would have been eager just to catch her eye to come over and take it back, I didnt realise they wouldnt have just hot panned it for a minute and given it back but instead they at first asked us if we wanted to order a different meal.

Whatever about the way they dealt with the problem which wasnt great, how does a restaurant stand over a well-done steak that is red on the underside.

Might have picked you up wrong, Red as in stained or Red as in Raw meat?

How would it be stained, its possible but at the minute I'm goin for bloodstained! There was no red wine thing goin on with this steak.

I have it, we've figured it out!

The waitress offered us the steak to come out sizzling on a stone, she wanted it the 1995 way hehe, on a plate.

Heres the flaw, the waiter presumed we'd want it on the stone, left the bottom the way it was and for whatever reason, thats how we got it, on a warm or cold plate. Kick up the backside for the waiter.

Thickening the plot :cool: I'd say that when we returned it, the chef immediately covered his backside and browned it on a pan quick enough that the waiter would think that the problem was ours and that the steak in his eyes, was indeed, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I got a blue steak a few months back, it was well cooked on the outside. I got about half way through but it turned out to be be horrible, I sent it back but the chef never done anything. We payed for my OH's meal but not mine.

That doesn't sound like a blue steak at all? Blue steak is sealed but the inside is raw.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

jdivision wrote: »
    That doesn't sound like a blue steak at all? Blue steak is sealed but the inside is raw.

Agreed, I've sent back steaks from enough steak houses to know it, blue is sealed on the outside but raw on the inside.

Sounds like this steak just wasn't flipped to cook each side evenly.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,424 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

if I was cooking a steak on a pan say, I would have turned it immediately to seal in the flavour thereby taking the red look off it too, but they didnt do that did they?
    I do the same, I presume most would,
    Your right that a lot of people do it, but its actually pointless, it doesn't "seal" the steak, and its the equivlent of putting the steak into the pan, for a few seconds, then taking it out for a few minutes before returning it to the pan and cooking it.

Turn steak once.
    I can't believe it wasn't cooked on one side. I'd be pretty annoyed about that, I got a blue steak a few months back, it was well cooked on the outside. I got about half way through but it turned out to be be horrible,
    That's not blue, its medium rare

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

A well done steak isnt a crime

:eek:

Advertisement