Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do dogs / cats get frightened from crackers.

Options
  • 31-10-2010 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

Its that time of the year again and my lot are not enjoying it one bit. The cat refuses to leave the house and the dogs wanted to be put to bed and locked in early.

I saw a neighbours dog go into a frenzy earlier when a cracker went off.

What is it about crackers that frightens them so much. :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Probably that their hearing is so sensitive the bangs must be so load to them, they also don't understand what that bang is, we know that it's just a firework and will do no harm to us but the poor dogs must think the world is falling down around their ears. :(
    Horrible time of year for them really. I knew of a dog that got so worked up about them that he jumped through a window and died of his injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

dogs hearing goes wayyyyy below what us humans can hear

crackers are loud to us

to a dog its like x 100

my auld king charles spaniel could hear me open packs of crisps a mile away it seemed.

while he was sleeping...! poor dog

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

My pup seems to be the exception, she doesn't mind them at all which is just as well as weve had people throwing them over our fence in the middle of the night for weeks.

She insisted on getting dressed up to go trick or treating with the kids ;) She got loads of treats in the form of pats on the head from grubby little hands, messed up her hair no end :p

picture.php?albumid=1088&pictureid=7729

My horses are a completely different story though! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I dunno. Maybe us white boys just scare em yo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

They dont bother Harley - he's spent the evening wagging out the window at kids and sleeping in front of the fire. Then again we've not had many going off so maybe he would react more if it was worse around here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Bulger the deaf white had a relaxing evening dozing on the window ledge watching the fireworks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

dogs hearing goes wayyyyy below what us humans can hear

Also note that cats hearing is better than dogs.

A cats hearing range can go up to 65KHZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

To be perfectly honest, they make ME jump, and I know what they are.
    I'm not surprised that cats and dogs will freak out over unexpected bangs with no clue as to what they are and if they're a threat or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Loud noises hurt, simply. Some animals are more sensitive than others; collie here is phobic to a dangerous degree.

Thunder, fireworks, gunshots, crowbangers.

I had forgotten it was halloween this week; hence her agitation then....We now have a supply of valium for her so she gets one then a walk to get it circulating, then a good feed. And lots of love.

Advertisement